Kiervin: Finding a gym when I move...

iVillage Member
Kiervin: Finding a gym when I move...
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 6:38am
Hi, K! Just wanted to mention that I have been looking left and right for info. on England (which is where we will be moving), and have found some good stuff thru afcrossroads.com and the SITES website. Of course, as for gyms, there's just the ones on base--no women's fitness center. (I believe Seymour Johnson AFB is the only military installation w/a separate women's gym....) And on the 'economy'? Well...forget it! I can find very little info on the town itself, but it isn't very large (something like 6,000 people). Maybe there's something w/childcare that I might be able to try (I have a nearly 6 yo dd and nearly 2 yo ds), but at the moment, I am clueless! Oh, well...

Erika

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 11:02am
AFB gave me the fuzzies! The air force is much better about looking out for their people. Yep, you are probably out of luck on separate women's gyms but don't discount the integrated ones without giving them an honest try. I've been surprised at how much I've learned from the men in the gym and how inclined to give positive feedback they are, even to those who are really not the "ideal". They seem blind to my fat and all over my motivation. (And I was fearful of our gym because I worried how the dozens of in shape/young marines would treat the old fat lady.)

I'd suggest working with your sponsor (do you have a sponsor?) and seeing if they can get you information on classes, child care options, and general support services. The thing that I've found (14 years doing this) is that overseas and remote locations tend to have better support facilities for families. Bermuda rocked for their support programs, Maine was terrible and out here is pretty good. And, you know, your "job" this move (we always have something we have to change for those coming after us) may be to set up that babysitting co-op in your new gym...

So, when is the big move? And you know if it does come down to that give me a yell, the girl who started our co-op and the one at Camp Pendelton is stationed here, she'll lend an ear and some advice I'm sure! Good Luck!!!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 12:45pm
Where are you going in England? I spent a year abroad and still have good friends there. A friend of mine works out at her community center. She says it isn't a nice fancy gym, but has good classes. If you want more info on the town, I can ask them if they know anything.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 2:11pm
just want to say how fun it is you are moving to england! what a good experience that will be for your kids too. in addition to finding a gym, i bet you will end up walking around a lot more - they are much more active about walking in europe.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 2:39pm
Hi, again. Thnx for the responses. I don't have a problem w/the regular gyms on base; I am just not a fan of military CDCs, and like the idea of onsite care (which is what they have here at SJAFB, at the separate womens' gym)...not to mention all kinds of classes! (No spinning, but pretty much everything else you could ask for!) Anyway...I am gonna talk to a buddy of mine tomorrow--a new buddy who just came here from England. Hopefully, she'll be able to help alot. She has 2 kids, one who is the same age as my dd, and she is gonna tell me what she knows re: British schools, the town, etc. She might have info. on the fitness scene as well, but I wouldn't bet on it. Whatever, tho...I'll find a way to make it work. Oh, yeah: I will be moving sometime in the summer (timeframe is up in the air) to Lakenheath. That's all I'll say, tho--for safety reasons, you know. I've probably already said more than I should in that line...

Thnx again,

Erika