QOTW: changing routines

iVillage Member
QOTW: changing routines
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:33am
When was the last time you changed your routine? Do you make a conscious effort to change it? How often?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:53am
I never have a routine... I have a few weeks where I spin 2x a week then some where I elliptical instead or treadmill... I change up my lifting rountine every third week to make sure I get all the little muscles with free weights. Great question Jean!

Tonight I think it's elliptical Yoga just gets out to darn late!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:04am
When was the last time you changed your routine? Do you make a conscious effort to change it? How often?

I changed my routine March 15. I usually change my routine monthly because that's when the new class schedules come out and I check my progress (body fat%) on the 15th of each month.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:36pm
I did ask these questions for a reason. If my routing is normally constantly changing, like some days I'll do a long lower intensity cardio, other days different intervals, and sometimes shorter, high intensity and I do the same with lifting, should I change my routine every few weeks then? Or is it better to stick with one intensity for a few weeks and then change to another? I really like the way I'm lifting, like my cardio, just playing it by ear. If I feel like doing pyramids (going heavier for fewer reps with each set), I'll do them, same with drop sets, etc. I also vary the exercise for muscle groups w/ whatever is free and whatever I feel like doing. Is this not as effective as sticking to one method? Thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 2:19pm
Every 8 weeks or so. Deb
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 2:53pm
I try to keep myself in a constant state of change now. I "seriously" lift 3 times a week, and do a cardio/leg circuit twice a week now. But, I vary each of the routines so much that no two weeks ever look the same. For example I may do an hour of cardio prior to lifting or I may do 20-30 minutes four times between body parts or I may just do the hour of cardio early in the day then lift later on. I try not to fall into overly set routines. I recently started shaking up the cardio/leg circuit from what I had posted before to longer cardio segments and less lifting exercises. So, for example last week on one of the days I did 20 minutes bike, squats to failure (with bar), then 20 min epi, lunges to failure with bar, 20 min incumb. bike, leg extensions to failure, 20 min treadmill at 15% incline and finished with leg curls to failure. It took about an hour total but was a real change-up from the other circuit I do. When I lift, I carry logs that have up to five exercises per muscle group, I only do two or three of those five though, and change up which ones each time I do the group. And, finally, when I do my cardio I try to keep two days in the upper end of cardio range, one in mid and one very low/fat burning only. That way I know I'm hitting in three different zones and should be getting the benefits of all three.

Learning to keep it varied was one of the best lessons that Beth has taught me. I keep watching people plateau and have been fortunate that I have not done it yet. I hope that by doing this I won't!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press