Favorite Workouts!

iVillage Member
Favorite Workouts!
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:56pm
What are your favorite:

1) Cardio in the gym, outside of classes. Also tell us if you do interval, steady, etc. What your perceived rate of exertion, out of 10--where 4-7 puts you in your target zone, is for how long (eg. 3 minutes at 7, 1 minute at 4, etc.).

2) Muscle group to work

3) Favorite exercise for lifting that muscle group

4) A workout on beautiful sunny day (you can pick something indoors, too)

5) Abs exercise

6) Stretch

7) Non-cardio, non-lifting in the gym (pilates, stretching, yoga, abs, etc.)

8) Favorite class, ever

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 2:24pm
1) Cardio in the gym, outside of classes. Also tell us if you do interval, steady, etc. What your perceived rate of exertion, out of 10--where 4-7 puts you in your target zone, is for how long (eg. 3 minutes at 7, 1 minute at 4, etc.).

favorite would probably elliptical crosstrainer, 2 minute intervals... my target zone doesn't correspond to your 1-10 scale well, because i regularly work out at higher than 85% of my supposed maximum heart rate. so if a 7 is 85% of my maximum heartrate, i'd say my easy intervals are at 6 (around 150 bpm) and the hard intervals are at 8.5 or 9 (around 173 to 180 bpm).

2) Muscle group to work

no favorite but least hated would probably be abs

something from pilates, like maybe the seal exercise.

bike ride

5) Abs exercise

see #3

6) Stretch

probably that one where you lie on your back and put one ankle on the opposite knee and press the knee away from the body

?maybe yoga?

8) Favorite class, ever

advanced step

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 3:08pm

*** Right now, my best cardio workout is interval running. It is very challenging for me, and I love it AND hate it. I feel so good about myself for accomplishing a goal, but I actually hate the physical act of running. Why do I do that to myself? My perceived rate of excertion is about a 9 and I never think I'm going to make it without walking, but I do! I say I get close to death each time and survive! LOL

2) Muscle group to work

*** Chest

***I LOVE benching, especially when someone else is watching!

*** I like athletic conditioning on nice, sunny days.

5) Abs exercise

*** I just do crunches

6) Stretch

*** I like to stretch the muscles on the front of my shins.

*** I get so bored doing that kind of thing. I guess abs/thighs would be the best non-cardio workout I do.

8) Favorite class, ever

*** Performance Step

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 3:16pm
Newbies, lurkers, feel free to join in!

My new favorite is the elliptical crosstrainer (thanks to superwoman jen!). I do intervals, 2-3 minutes at 7-8 (slightly over my target), then 2 minutes about 4-5

2) Muscle group to work

Back

lat pull downs

hiking or rollerblading

5) Abs exercise

bicycle--an oldie but goodie

6) Stretch

Like jen's, lying on the back, one leg bent, the other crossed w/ ankle resting on knee, then pull the bent leg up w/ your hands towards your chest

Don't have one:-( I like to sweat and I like the feeling of working, but the rest I do because it's good for you

8) Favorite class, ever

hip hop class when I was in So. Cal., it's a class where the instructor makes all the difference

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 3:26pm

***Either elliptical or treadmill, 25 mins for both usually***

2) Muscle group to work

***Hmm, prob abs cuz I always feel so tight after I work on them***

***Well, sit ups?***

***RUNNING, on the beach...soo nice***

5) Abs exercise

***situps, but i like using the bench, and not the ground***

6) Stretch

***the walrus one, where you sorta lay on ur lower stomach and left your chest***

***not sure, dont do any of them...I wanna get into pilates when a bit of weight comes off tho***

8) Favorite class, ever

***never taken one***

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 5:24pm
My favorites:

What are your favorite:

1) Cardio in the gym, outside of classes. Also tell us if you do interval, steady, etc. What your perceived rate of exertion, out of 10--where 4-7 puts you in your target zone, is for how long (eg. 3 minutes at 7, 1 minute at 4, etc.). My gym cardio is running on the treadmill, usually at a slight incline and I increase my pace at specific times in the run (halfway, 5 minutes to go, 2 minutes to go, 1 minute sprint). RPE? Probably the first half is about a 5-6, the last couple of minutes are at about an 8 or 9.

2) Muscle group to work: My big ol' thighs!

3) Favorite exercise for lifting that muscle group: Squat rack or leg press

4) A workout on beautiful sunny day (you can pick something indoors, too): A good vigorous hike, a bike ride, or a swim in an isolated lap pool.

5) Abs exercise: Garden variety decline crunches.

6) Stretch: I love a good forward bend, though it's not terribly creative!

7) Non-cardio, non-lifting in the gym (pilates, stretching, yoga, abs, etc.) Yoga

8) Favorite class, ever: Deep water aerobics in the outdoor pool

I wanna go home and work out, not study! *pout*

Have a great evening all!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 6:24pm
Glad you're still around! How are you doing on your workout program? It sounds like you're doing well with it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:13am
1) Cardio in the gym, outside of classes.

I really like doing the cardio machines in a circuit. Epi for 20 at about 7 (exertion level, not machine level), bike for 20 at 5ish, treadmill for 20 at a 15% incline (walking) so about a 7, then the rotating stair climber at a really slow pace for 20 to cool down (still pouring sweat on it). I usually throw my lifting in the middle of the cardio stuff.

2) Muscle group to work

um, glutes, hams and quads (I know, more than one group, but they ar pretty much done together!)

Squats!!!! Funny enough, I HATE lunges.

anything in the water. Snorkeling, diving, sailing, fishing, pool walking if I can't get to the beach.

5) Abs exercise

um, none of them. If I HAD to choose one I'd say ball crunches.

6) Stretch

Calves. Somehow they are ALWAYS tight and in need of it.

Gabbing. I don't do classes.

8) Favorite class, ever

L3L, which wasn't really an exercise class, more a lifestyle class. I'm eye-hand coordination impaired. I look and feel like a dork doing aerobics. The Firm videos are the only aerobics I've done and not wanted to cry during. So, I don't do classes because I want to enjoy the gym not hate it!

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:20am

Cardio in the gym: bike and treadmill with incline intervals

2) Muscle group to work

Shoulders

Lateral Raises

Running Outside – Love it!

5) Abs exercise

A new one I just learned – legs bent up and then open them like a butterfly, it isolates the mid-abs.

6) Stretch

The one where you are flat on your back, pull legs in, legs fall to one side and head to the other, arms flat out. And any other stretch that stretches the back.

Pilates

8) Favorite class, ever

Kickboxing!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:39am
Favorites:

1. Cardio out of class: I HATE cardio on machines, but when I have to I usually row for 5-10 min. level 6, then 5-10 min. on the EC at resistance levels 5-9, 140-185 rpm, finally 10-30 min. on treadmill - hill program 3.9- 4.8 mph (varying w/ the incline as I jog/run on the higher inclines).

2. Muscle group to work: legs

3. Exercise for this group: Squats

4. Sunny day workout: golf or gardening

5. Abs exercise: Anything on a stability ball

6. Stretch: It all depends on the workout. Plus I know too many stretches to just choose one (one of my clients suggested I write a book entitled 101 Ways to Make a Human Pretzel).

7. No- cardio/lifting: A good, old, "take your time & breathe" session of stretching & meditation.

8. Fave class: Kickboxing

Soleilune