I know the scale lies but C'MON!

iVillage Member
I know the scale lies but C'MON!
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 7:57am
I got on this morning and it read "165" how is it possible I GAINED 15 lbs since January? My clothes fit me the same too!

GRRRR!!!!

Alana

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:08am
i know it's no fun to see the numbers go up, but if your clothes fit the same....

do you do measurements or body fat tests? if you measure now as compared to before and that's the same or better too, then you really know the scale is lying.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:22am
Ok... If your clothes fit the same it is obviously muscle gain. Have you been more diligent in lifting over the past few months? Is it possible that it is a combination of more muscle/less fat and a little water retention? I think I mentioned before that I've seen variances of up to 5 pounds with water weight gain/loss around my period. I really freaked when it happened the first month.

Take a step back and look at the big picture, not the number. How do you feel? How do you look? How do your clothes fit?

I'm sort of in the same place. I have lost about 22 pounds so far (but was probably 60 overweight when I started) and feel good about it, but when I get on the scale I get frustrated. I'm starting to realize that the muscle to fat thing is key in looking at this. My clothes are falling off me and I look better and better every day, but I'm stalling in the numbers on the scale. (It hasn't budged in 10 days) While it would be nice to break the magic number I set for myself, I can live with not doing it if I feel good, look good and my clothes fit better (or not at all cause they fall off!)

You are fit, healthy, attractive and STRONG. What does a number mean anyway?

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 6:49pm
Umm....have you checked with your doctor? A sudden gain like that with all your fitness and eating right should be checked out Alana. I gained a lot like that with peri menopause stuff but you're way too young for that. But I did go see a doc. I know you lost a lot (5 lbs or so) quickly awhile back..I think that was you. Sometimes I've lost a lot of water weight (not fat loss, just a scale loss) and it comes back just as fast (if it's water). That would be 5 lbs or so. The rest I'd be curious about. I know you've been regular on your body fat tests too, how are those readings? The "scale" gain doesn't seem right, have you used the gym scale or other scales too? Maybe your scale is way off. Let us know. Deb
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:46pm
That's a good point, deb. A real weight gain of that much is something to look into, especially if you haven't changed your lifestyle. How are you feeling? However, if your clothes fit fine, it could be the scale? As they get older, they can get crazy.