How about April goals?

iVillage Member
How about April goals?
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:01pm
In addition to the daily logs as motivation. Come up with a quantitative goal for the month, and each week, we'll do a progress report. It can be health or fitness related, so you can have things like, go 4 days w/out having any refined products, or refuse dessert xx times, etc. You can list as many as you want and I'll keep track of them. Also, you can add or refine them. If it helps (like jen does), talk about what you will do to help attain it. This will also be a good reality check to see if we have realistic goals, w/ others feedback, so feel free to critique mine!

Here are mine:

1) Be on my way to doing one assisted pullup at 20 pounds.

I'm stuck at 1 3/4 pullups at 30 pounds assisted. So, I can either lose 10 pounds (haha, not likely w/ my willpower) or work weights harder. Maybe I'll try to lose a couple of pounds and get to the bottom of my normal range and continue lifting.

2) Stay away from ALL refined and overly processed foods for at least one day a week.

Okay, I'm weak and have something almost every day, white pasta, rice, vanilla yogurt, etc. Not a lot, but something (half a cup of pasta, a yogurt for lunch, half a Clif Bar, etc.) I went w/out any starches for 6 weeks earlier, but have added them back. I'm still much better than before, but I think one day a week is a good start. I'll make it Thursdays as my whole foods, all whole grains days.

3) Up my intensity on the crosstrainer. Right now, I do level 12 for 2 minutes, level 9/10 for two. I'd like to do level 12/13 for 2 mintes, level 9/10 for one.

That's it. I'll add more if I think of any.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 6:38am
Vanilla yogurt is a refined carb? are you counting the sugar in it? I think the calcium and active cultures far outweigh the carb factor there... don't forget to balance not just cut!

My goal for April is just to get back to 150... CARDIO!!! and little weights because I am a bulky freakin girl... Just body resistance and spinning for me thank you... Push ups, tricept dips, pilates, yoga and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!

As for food, I eat plenty but small controlled portions throughout the day... I am going to up my veggie intake

Alana

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:06am
jean inspired me...i am going to go at least one day a week without any processed food except soymilk. i did this yesterday because i went crazy on the white flour tuesday night (white pasta, two rolls, and a slice of pizza -- after not eating any white flour in a couple months!) and felt gross. i feel a lot better after yesterday. oh, i didn't count peanut butter as a processed food either, because the kind i was eating was just peanuts and salt, and i don't think blending peanuts into peanut butter negatively affects it's nutritional value.

i'm also going to take a multivitamin at least every other day (i have been doing this for the past week - just going to keep it up)

by the end of the month i'll be prepared to teach a full hi/lo class.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:11am
Jean, why not have yoghurt that's artificially sweetened? I know there are purists when it comes to sweeteners, but one of my favorite snacks is a parfait of strawberries & blackberries, topped w/ fat/sugar free vanilla yoghurt & granola.

My goals: at least 40 oz. of water (on top of all other beverages) & 60g protein consumed per day. My ultimate goal w/ these two things is 80 oz. water & 90g protein, but I'm too far from achieving that for it to be realistic at this point.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:44am
Vanilla yogurt has as much sugar as the fruited ones. I can't get used to the plain yogurts. :-( I'm only cutting it out one day a week, though.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:47am
there is also unsweetened yogurt, especially if you are eating it with fruit anyway you don't really need sweeteners. i personally avoid all artificial sweeteners, there is enough evidence out there that they are potentially very harmful to convince me to avoid them. if anyone wants to cut back on dairy - soy yogurt tastes very similar to dairy yogurt if you get the right brand... i think silk soy yogurt tastes a lot like dairy yogurt, but i haven't tried a lot of other brands, because i don't really like yogurt.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:47am
Artificially sweetened yogurt is too sweet for me. Maybe it's not too sweet, but the flavor is too much for me. It's probably because I don't have it any more. I'm thinking of mixing vanilla w/ plain and slowly reducing the amount of vanilla.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 10:40am
I avoid artificial sweetners too! I saw a report that there has been a marked rise in PKU in babies whose mothers used nutrasweet. Now PKU is genetic, but the theory was that there is something in it that activates the gene that would usually lie dormant. This was many years ago when we were trying our butts off (literally!) to get preggers. At that time hubby's bro had just had a PKU baby (they are both diet food/nutra sweet junkies!). It was enough for me to swear off the stuff and not allow it in our house. Families with PKU babies are more likely to have PKU babies... and nutrasweet seemed to be linked... the stuff became poison in my mind! I will not allow the kids to have anything that doesn't occur naturally and to do that means we don't have it around for us either (now that we are past the age of having any more).

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 10:43am
I'm going to break this darn 5 pound marker that I've been toeing. That's it. That is my goal. I was half a pound from it last week, a pound from it this week. I'm scared I might be plateauing, I just need to break this... so, two pounds by the end of the month (usually do a pound a week, but not this week, I gained!)

~K~

~Kiervin~

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 12:29pm
what is PKU? (nt)
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:43pm
Genetic disease. PKU stands for Phenylketonuria. What happens is that the body is unable to break down certain amino acids when they are ingested, specifically phenylalanine which is a building block of protein. If they eat things that contain this it will buildup to dangerous concentrations that can have serious adverse effects, primarily severe brain damage and organ failure. So people identified with it (all babies are tested, btw) cannot eat any protein or they run the risk of "getting stupid" as our nephew explains it. Micheal is now 13, he is on the most complex diet I've ever seen, honestly as a child I used to be awed at his mother's ability to keep it all straight. They know exactly what he has eaten, in exact amounts since birth. He is one of the most successfully treated kids in America, much to my sis-in-laws credit.

I was VERY careful at the time we started to try for children, I had already miscarried once. When I talked to Micheal's mother about the fact we were trying she flooded me with info about PKU, because we were in a foreign country that didn't test (they do now) all children. The nutrasweet thing was part of the packet she sent me, they could have disproven it by now, but I was not taking any chances.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Pages