A challenge!

iVillage Member
A challenge!
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:53pm
In case you haven't noticed I've a fondness for trainers and the fit crowd who go out of their way to encourage and inspire others. I think that the message given could be the difference between success and failure for many people struggling with their weight or fitness.

Your challenge, should you accept, is to find ONE PERSON in your gym or daily life that you see making a change for the positive and working toward the goal of fitness and compliment them on their efforts. Extend your hand to that person who you see really trying. You never know, your words may make an impact that fires them up and keeps them moving.

What brought this challenge on? One of the aerobics instructors at our gym walked up to me and complimented me on the hard work she's seen me put in over the past few months. You know, it really felt good. It is easy when you are overweight and the gains (or losses) don't come as quickly as you wish to just give up. It is frustrating to look in the mirror and see the flab when you feel so fab. Tell that person they are FAB!

Gosh, I promise not to make you sing songs while hugging trees if you go spread the love with others on this!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
In reply to: kiervin
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:58pm
What a wonderful, thoughtful post!! It is so easy to get wrapped up in our little routines at the gym and forget that sharing positive energy causes positive energy in ourselves and others! Thanks for the challenge! :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 4:37pm
This is a great idea!

I remember how much it meant (and still means) to me when people compliment me on improvements. I do it for people I know, but never a stranger. So, now I will be more observant and notice others... Can I still hug trees and sing songs ("I'd like to teach the world to sing...")? ;-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 4:50pm
bahahaha! Sure you can sing and hug trees... but when it comes to the singing you don't want me to join you. I must admit to having such a poor singing voice that my children have never wanted songs from me, even as infants it would make them cry harder! I don't think it is as simple as being deaf, I'm fully musically impaired!

Trying to revise my resume and psych myself up for this interview, man am I nervous. See you all in the morning!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 6:40pm
It really works...great idea.

I've been doing Jazzercise for 18 months and I remembered the very first day. NOT knowing a soul, not knowing what is expected, not knowing a darn thing :o). I also had 30 lbs plus to lose.

I've got that fat off, got fit, got into shape, and vowed from that first day forward as new people joined Jazzercise I'd make it a point to say hello, ask how they heard about the program (great way to start convo), and if they had questions, etc. I'm just a tad bit of an extrovert so it's been easy. I also make it a point to introduce them around to everyone.

It's been great to help and inspire other women and by doing this, I've made absolutely wonderful friends from encourging and welcoming people. I just go back to that first day and how I felt and it makes it easy to approach everyone that is new. And it's amazing how much you have in common! The more fitness buddies (who have turned into good friends) the better.

We now all watch out for each other, know the schedules, the vacations--and keep each other coming to class.

Deb

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 3:49pm
Great idea! Consider it done (I do this daily anyway). n/t
Soleilune