Help, I am New!!

iVillage Member
Help, I am New!!
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 1:23pm
Hi Everyone. I have a question for you all. I just joined a health club this weekend. I am really excited about getting in shape. I have this one problem though. My stomache muscles from my bellybutton to my pubic bone separated. That imaginary line you get when you are pregnant is where they have separated. Will they fuse back together with excercise? It feels like there is a fold in my tummy. I am hoping that it will fill back in. Anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks ladies!!

Holly

iVillage Member
In reply to: holhobby
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 2:15pm
Is this a result of pregnancy? I don't think it's uncommon but I'm not sure you should do traditional abs exercises until it's healed. Here's an article about what exercises to do w/ separated abs.

http://epregnancy.com/info/fitness/qa-abdmuscle.htm

Hope that helps and welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 4:02pm
just wanted to say welcome! and wow, jean, you seem to know the answer to every fitness question - you rock! (nt)
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 12:37pm
I'm afraid that I'm the last person you want to ask about abs! But Jean has your back, she's the best.

Welcome to the board, I hope that you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 3:55pm
Well, you know with my abs of steel...I just had to write that when I had the chance! It's no where near the truth! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 3:59pm
One of the advantages of age! That's actually something everyone who works out and goes through pregnancy has to think about. If you try to work out through it, it will get just worse. I think my doctor was going to slap me if I asked him once more, "Do I have diastasis yet?"

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:01pm
so what is diastasis? The separating of the abdominal muscles? I never had this wiht my first child. I was a lot smaller with the first though...thanks ladies for the replies!!

Holly

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:46am
Yes, the diastasis is the separation of the abs. It's more likely to happen with subsequent pregnancies because your abs stretch out w/ each one (doesn't that make pregnancy sound appealing?). I think that article I referenced explains it and what to do pretty well. Hope that helps! Good luck (are you pregnant now?).