Not a good Friday... (m)

iVillage Member
Not a good Friday... (m)
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 12:59pm
Well, it was good up until about 4:00. That is when my husband, Greg, got home and I realized that we were in serious trouble. He was walking very stiffly and was in obvious pain. (Something he usually doesn't show) It took about five minutes to get the story out of him: he went to catch a couple of waves after work, before coming home, and got tossed headfirst into the sand, underwater by a wave. He bit through his tongue, which is the ickiest thing I've ever seen. And he heard his back crack from the neck to about half way down. He was insisting that going to the jacuzzi would be enough, I was terrified and screamed at him to get into the car. (His shoulder/neck have been hurting for more than a year mind you, but he was REALLY bad off with the new pain added.)

The hospital locked me in a waiting room with 1000 or so throwing up children, over-reactive parents and the screaming one year old with the burned fingers, and my two monster children. (Honestly, for the first time in my life I considered beating the heck out of another person and I'm ashamed to say it is my son I was considering. He was so bad I was crying and wishing the truck that I was wishing that the mack truck that had just hit me would back up and finish me off.) Several hours later they let me see him for, oh, 30 seconds, saying that his neck wasn't broken (ok, this is good) but they were still looking at his spine. It was a few hours later that the receptionist came out and offered to watch the kids that the doc wanted to see me. Ok, when the receptionist of the ER offers to watch your kids ask for the valium then, it is never a good thing. He has a compression fracture of T3 and in the process of x-rays they found a second compression fracture that was obviously "somewhat old" that would be the cause of neck/shoulder pain he has suffered for the past year or so. (He got that one fighting... must call Burton to let him know.)

So, he was in grand shape by then. Not sure what they gave him, but he couldn't speak coherently. They relented in sending him home, apparently he refused to stay when I wasn't there to keep some say in the matter. He is still drugged to the gills.

I will be temporarily out of order and out of the gym until he can again function/drive himself. We have four appointments on Monday for him, CAT, MRI, fracture clinic and determination for his status (as in, get the paperwork to take to his work so they don't keep calling wondering where he is). This has already caused enough stress that I'm eyeing the valium they gave him, I can't imagine how bad it will be when an urge to go workout hits and I can't! Please send green vibes, pray, or whatever you do to make peace with your beliefs for him. And, while your at it, please ask whoever is in charge to put the realization that he is no longer 18 into his head so this is the last time he scares me gray! We won't even approach the two lacerated corneas, broken foot, other broken ankle, the time he set himself on fire or the time he nearly broke his leg falling off the boat. Nope, I won't bore you with those STUPID accidents...

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 1:51pm
Hang in there, K! You sound like you've been through this before. Do your best to relieve yourself of some of the stress. (Did you know stress hormones can interfere with weightloss?) Just keep reminding yourself that this moment will pass and you will survive. Hang in and take care.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 3:39pm
AHH! What a day! It reminds me of a skit when a comedienne said her mother always asks her when she's going to a child and she exclaims, "Why would I have a child, I married one!" Let us know how it goes w/ your husband's many tests. I'm sending thoughts for your family. I don't know about the prayer for hoping that he realizes he's not 18 anymore, because for me that would be like the pot calling the kettle black!;-)

Do you have any workout things at home? Especially as things get hectic at home, you need some time to yourself. Hopefully as things settle down, you'll get into a groove again. But, as motivated as you've been, I'm sure you'll hop right back in. Isn't it cool that you're that you're worried about working out and you wouldn't have a year ago?

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 5:43pm
hang in there, this too shall pass. i'm sending warm, calming thoughts your way and healing thoughts for greg. and i'm trying to psychically influence him to take things easier from now on - too bad he doesn't have my scaredy-cat genes! i think you just managed to scare me away from surfing - the one semi-risky sport that i ever considered trying!

i'm sure you have a lot of people who would be happy to watch the kids for a couple of hours if you need a break -- make sure to keep taking care of yourself while you are so busy taking care of everyone else!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 11:43am
Thank you for the warm wishes and good thoughts. It has been a roller-coaster the past two weeks, mostly ups but man that down was farther than we've been in awhile!

Greg is holding up. He is still drugged to the gills, but has already started cutting back on the valium, now if only they'd give me some we might be ok! He says the pain is lessening each time the drugs wear off and is nearly bearable if he sits completely still. Given he rated the severity below the lacerated cornea, I have a way to gauge it all. The docs looked at him again yesterday and are leaving him alone for another week. They are talking about a hyperextension brace sometime in the next few weeks as he regains mobility and long term pt and follow up with them. I had to call his school yesterday to let them know he won't be training anymore. That was hard on him, he loves to train, but the doctors are saying at least a year, if ever (mixed martial arts).

So, we are holding our own. Suprisingly, I will be fine on workouts starting today. He is going to have monday apts. for the next few months and can't drive for a bit so I'm doing all the collateral stuff for the kids/house, but I do that all the time when he's gone. I got a run in Sunday, gosh I needed to let the tension go, and actually made 2 miles pain free!!! Though, I think there was so much stress leaving my body that I just couldn't feel it:) Still no word on Valedictorian, but I should hear by the end of this week. Not even sure I want it now, there is nothing like a serious injury to give you a perspective check on what is important!

Thanks for the support and well wishes! You all are the best!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:02pm
Thanks for the update! I'm glad you can still find time for us! Hope he continues to improve quickly.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:15pm
>>>>>Big Hug<<<<< I'm glad to hear things are stabilized at least & you got to get out for a run, a pain-free run at that. If you didn't read my post 'OT: Do you have enough?' please do. I was thinking of you especially when I posted it, although it definitely goes out to everyone.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 3:04pm
wow, I'm sorry. I will definitely keep you and your husband in my prayers. You will both get through this.