Workout misperceptions

iVillage Member
Workout misperceptions
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 2:33pm
There were some mothers talking about working out and what they were doing. I overheard them and wasn't planning on being part of the conversation until one said, "The only thing that will burn fat is cardio." So...I had to butt in and give my two cents (gee, and you know how I always keep my thoughts to myself here!) about building muscle, speeding up your metabolism, etc. Anyway, I think they just wanted something fast and easy. Oh well.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 3:13pm
I run into a LOT of women like that in my daily life, whether it's at work or at the gym or when I'm just around other women I know. They work out ineffectively and then wonder why it's so hard for them to get in shape! And then when you infer that it's harder than just showing up...you're the workout Nazi! That's okay. What we're doing works!

Right there with ya...."But I don't want to get bulky!" Pshaw.....

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 3:39pm
My mom thinks women shouldn't sweat. She's sure that's why my sister is still single in her 30's--because she enjoys physical activity and men don't like that. It was okay for me to work out because it kept me thinner and men don't want heavy women. It's amazing my sister and I are as well balanced as we are.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 4:44pm
That is amazing! Is your mom from a different culture? Or was she born here? Among my Asian friends, there is a striking difference between those whose parents emigrated here and those who are 2nd and 3rd generation Americans.

I don't know how it was when you were single, but among my male friends, there's something very earthy and sexy about a sweaty athletic woman! Maybe that's why they're my friends...lol... Granted, I'm still single (according to my tax forms) at 28, but I don't think it's working out that's keeping me from the altar!

More power to us sweaty women!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 5:19pm
It's totally the Asian culture. I was born in Taiwan and we moved here when I was one. So, my mom's been here since her late 20's but she still has that belief system. Her latest doozy was that the only important thing, when you have a daughter, is for her to be born beautiful. :-P Well, we're proof that being active doesn't turn a man off (...actually, I think it turns them on...)!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 11:51am
Every guy that I know prefers women who are active and physically strong. One of the less PC guys from school said that he "wants a woman who can keep up with his lifestyle". Which sounds pretty self absorbed, but when I asked for clarification he said that he wants to find the sort of woman who will run on the beach, not just lay on it, who will hiking and camping with him, who isn't afraid to get dirty, sweaty and down to earth. It makes sense, would any of you want a guy who just sits on the couch? Heck, there is nothing attractive about that for us, why would there be for men? At the most basic biological, primitive level we judge potential mates by their ability to "stay alive" and provide or bear children. Healthy, active people can do that, those who have never broken a sweat can't.

Just my two cents... But, as I said the guys I know and talk to are pretty unimpressed by the type of woman who only gets her exercise by walking from store to store in the mall, they are more apt to approach the sweaty one in the gym:)

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press