QOTW

iVillage Member
QOTW
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:43am
Other than the final result (being strong, healthy, etc.), what is your favorite part about working out? Least favorite?

Also, if you could take a magic pill that didn't have side effects or long term effects that would replace your workouts, would you?

Edited 4/8/2003 10:55:24 AM ET by cl-jeanwl

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:56am
I love working out for so many reasons: the challenge of doing something that I thought I couldn't do, the feeling of being drenched in sweat; there's nothing like the relief you get after it's all over... I truly enjoy the energy in a gym. It pushes me to keep going when my body wants to quit. Seeing all of the other people at the gym helps me focus. There's always someone in better shape, and seeing that, keeps me motivated.

My LEAST favorite part is being around people who are not as driven, the people who go to the gym just to say they "go to the gym."

I would never take a pill to replace my workouts. That would be cheating and I would rob myself of the feeling that I could accomplish anything.

Edited 4/8/2003 12:04:37 PM ET by millcreek2000

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 11:47am
Other than the final result (being strong, healthy, etc.), what is your favorite part about working out? Least favorite?

The natural high of endorphins, is my fav.

Being sore from pushing a bit to hard, least.

Also, if you could take a magic pill that didn't have side effects or long term effects that would replace your workouts, would you?

NO! that would nix my fav and I love being active!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 11:57am

It keeps me centered, mentally. There is something magical about being inside my mind while my body is being pushed. I can't explain it better than that. The disconnect/reconnect to my mental self that happens is the absolute best part of working out. I have "prewritten" every word of every article, book or short story while doing something active, it is where I find my clarity. My least favorite part? Sometimes I feel frustrated because my appearance doesn't match my heart and soul yet. But, we won't go there today, I'm just in pity-me mode and this will pass:)

Nope, because that pill won't bring me the clarity of mind, body and vision! And, I'm a stubborn person who would rather do everything the "hard way" so doing the magic pill would be an out and I don't like to take outs:)

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 12:01pm
Call me strange, but I LOVE the ache of having pushed myself a bit too hard. That soreness and tightness in my muscles is a huge feel good thing for me. Perhaps it is because it makes me so aware of the individual muscle. No, I'm not some freak who is into pain or anything strange, it is just the tight burn after a good workout that really fires me up!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:07pm
I was a dancer before I was a fitness pro & I grew up in an active, music filled home. Music & movement is a vital part of my existence not just physically but mentally, emotionally & especially spiritually. So my fave part of working out is how it makes me feel, inside & out.

There are magic pills that do many of the same things as a workout for me (in terms of dealing w/ a life long illness), but I choose exercise instead as those pills can only effect the body. If they affect the mind (& I'm talking not only Dr. prescribed medication, but the various diet & health supplements available)it tends to be negatively. Exercise is the greatest de-stressor & feel good supplement I know. I'd NEVER give it up!

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:08pm

I love sweating, too. I love the feeling of working my muscles hard. I even like feeling sore the next days (kind of a masochistic feeling of accomplishment).

My least favorite: I get so little free time and spend all of it working out. I'd like some time for myself, just to hang out and have coffee w/ friends, shop, etc.

I might on occasion just to get free time to myself. I love the feeling when I'm working hard so it would only be on occasion.