Creative abs

iVillage Member
Creative abs
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:54am
Let's do the same thing we did w/ triceps yesterday w/ abs. I've been doing crunches, oblique crunches, bicycle, lifting the lower body and upper body crunches, and then on that machine where you dangle your legs, I do knee lifts and twisted side knee lifts. I need something new so I thought I'd pick your brains. Thanks!

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 11:35am
I do the plank exercise. You know, on your stomach with your hands in a triangle and up on your toes being sure to keep your mid-secion off of the ground and in a straight line. Lifting one leg for added difficulty. Nothing really innovative.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 12:05pm
Standing crunch: Stand with perfect posture and do a pelvic tilt, tucking your belly inward and then release to neutral.

Also try cross jabs and side kicks to work obliques.

How about the roll up? This is a pilates move where you are in prone (laying on your back, lower back and pelvis in neutral so that there is a small space under your lower back) raise your arms above your head and with using your abs and breath roll slowly up each verebrea one at a time keep your feet on the ground this works the deep transverse to flatten your waist.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:09pm
I forgot about this one! I really liked it, too. Thanks--I'll add this back in.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:13pm
On the roll-up...I'm the only person I know who has this problem but I can't roll up, one vertabra at a time. I get about 1/2 of the way there, (like a crunch) and then my back doesn't roll up any more. It's straight in the lower back and won't curl up. So, when I try this, I get up to that point and, if I rise up farther, the whole back comes up. Does anyone else's do that?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:23pm
Good idea. I probably know a hundred different ways to work your abs (it's a speciality of mine), so I'm going to let everyone get their's in & I'll offer a couple new ones that don't come up when everyone's done. Hopefully you'll be able to figure them out. It's simple enough to demonstrate an exercise, but describing it is a whole other ball game.

By the by Jean, you're doing a fabulous job of co-hosting here. You've virtually eliminated the need for my professional expertise.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:30pm
Thanks--Whenever I post anything, I'm always thinking, "I hope Soleil pops in soon, in case I'm wrong." I'm comfortable enough that people here know enough to jump in, too.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:32pm
It's far more common than you think, Jean. The forward flexion is limited in the lumbar vertabrae for almost everyone. It's perfectly natural & not a big deal. This is actually the reason it is so difficult to work the lower portion of the abdominal muscles as effectively as the upper - the limited range of motion affects the degree of contraction. In the excercise Alana mentions curling through one disc at a time is more a matter of focus, than actual physical ability.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:42pm
Is it something you can work on or is that just how my body will always be? I've mentioned it to trainers before and they just shrugged and said, "You don't need to get any higher for effective abs anyway." Thanks!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:42pm
That means you work your rectus more than your transverse! Meaning your outer muscles are forcing you up and you can't get to the inner muscles. Have you taken a pilates class?

Alana

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:44pm
Most of the info posted here is fairly accurate. It's been a while since I've seen anything 'out to lunch' in terms of accuracy & safety. Everyone here has or is becoming so knowledgeable that I have little to add (which is probably a good thing as I'm a 'two fingered typist'). I was thinking of offering a so-called 'Health/Fitness 101' segment. Once every week or two offering an info-post on a specific health/fitness/gym related subject. We tend to focus on a lot of the same areas & I thought I could offer some more in depth knowledge on some of these & other things & maybe get folks' creative juices flowing. This focus on exercises for specific body parts you started was a great idea. Keep it up.
Soleilune

Pages