What % of diet comes from fat/protein...

iVillage Member
What % of diet comes from fat/protein...
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 3:30pm
I've been using fitday.com to see where all my food is coming from- I am really trying to up my protein intake. Anyway what is an ideal breakdown of % in order to gain muscle and stay lean? My carbs only come from veggis, whole grains, plain oatmeal etc. I have cut out sugars and am sticking to whole foods.

Ann

Edited 4/8/2003 3:52:23 PM ET by anndon

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 3:53pm
there was an article about that in the latest issue of shape magazine based on new studies - it said the ideal amount of protein may be higher than previously thought for good bone health, though there isn't conclusive evidence yet - it suggested 20% protein (it didn't say what the lower amount previously thought ideal was) and definitely not more than 35% of calories from protein.

the percentage may be partially based on the individual - i've met people who say their body needs more than the recommended amount to feel good and others who say they feel better on less protein. in the past i have not gone out of my way to eat protein and i'm not sure that article is going to be enough to convince me. i'm guessing i probably eat about 15% of my calories from protein.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 3:56pm
The mix that works best for me is 30% of my calories from good sources of fats, 30% from good sources of protein, and 40% from good sources of carbohydrates.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:42pm
I think I'm about 30/30/40, too, but I go more by portion size where 2/3 the plate is veggies/whole grains/fruits and 1/3 is lean protein with a very little bit of healthy fats (but those fats add up quickly in calories). I agree w/ Jen that there isn't one "right" proportion. It depends on your body and also how you like to eat.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:50pm
just keep in mind when doing it that way that there's a lot of protein in them thar veggies!

my overall ratios are about 20% fat (mostly from good oils used to cook veggies, soymilk, and nuts), 15% protein (mostly from veggies and soymilk), 65% carb (mostly from veggies, whole grains, and A LOT of fruit)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:54pm
I have to get myself a list of how many grams of protein per veggie. I don't calculate percentage right now, but maybe I will. I really like that fitday site but haven't gotten my act together to enter what I eat. Most of my calories come from good fats or nuts, other than fatty fish that I have on occasion. There are only so many calories in broccoli, spinach and egg whites no matter how much you eat.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:58pm
yeah that's true. most of my calories come from brown rice, fruit and soymilk. (nt)