little off topic, but related

iVillage Member
little off topic, but related
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 7:24pm
Has anyone here heard of wheat allergies? I remember reading something about it & i forgot. I've been trying to pay more attention to my body & have noticed that when I eat white breads/rolls (of any kind), I get really bloated for a few days after. Insight anyone (other than stop eating it)?
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:16pm
Off topic! We never go off topic here, lol!

Is it only with white, processed products or do you get the same reaction from whole grains? Some people do have reactions to processing. Either way, it sounds more like a wheat intolerance than an allergy. An allergy can trigger hives, tingly mouth, vomitting, nausea, eczema, runny nose (and other things I can't remember off hand) and usually occurs pretty soon after eating. An intolerance can cause effects after days, even. Some symptoms are similar to allergies and also include abdominal pains, but it will not show up on allergy testing. Another thing similar is Celiac disease. It's a problem with absorption of gluten and can cause bloating, gas, abdominal pain, among other things. There is a good message board on Parentsoup for allergies. It's not very active, but the cl is super knowledgeable and has an allergist she will consult. It's supposed to be for children, but she's really good. It may take awhile to get an answer but you will. I hope this helps (or you can just avoid the food).

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:35pm
mainly white processed products. I've pretty much switched to whole grains, but I ran out at home & had to resort to regular bread, etc. Maybe that's why I notice it now? Oh well, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:19am
Food sensitivities are very common among wheat, dairy, and nuts. They may not be as obvious as an allergy but can be quite detrimental in one's quest to lose weight. Bloating is a common complaint. Keep an eye on how your body responds to different foods and eliminate/avoid foods that cause a bad reaction.