I just can get the fat off! HELP!

iVillage Member
I just can get the fat off! HELP!
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 7:54pm
Hi everyone, I have been overweight for a very long time. I have done so many things to try to slim down: I definitly eat right(except for the occasional ice cream bar and small stuff, nothing big)I have taken a blood test to see if my body was doing something wrong, I work out a lot too. My family says they see me thining out buy I dont see it, feel it or tell on my clothes. I'm having sooooo much trouble with this and I need some tips from anyone. Tips that will work! Please help me!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:27pm
What are you doing when you work out? Building muscle will help speed metabolism and give you a better shape. Cardio will burn calories. You need a combination of the two for a good workout plan. In general, you need to take in fewer calories than you expend, but if you take in too few calories, you'll go into starvation mode and your body will hold onto fat (and burn muscle if needed which is counterproductive to losing weight). Have you written down what you eat in a food journal (jen recommended fitday.com which I like, too) that will calculate calories? What do you eat? Make sure to eat vegetables, whole grains, fruits as your main portions, some extra low fat protein (debatable because some people don't and it works for them), a VERY little bit of healthy fats. It's also fine to have an occasional splurge, too! It's also good to measure because studies have shown that people are off significantly when they first eyeball measurements. This is a start. There's a lot more, but I don't want to give you too much info. If you have questions, just ask--lots of friendly people here can help! Welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:47pm
Ack! The "small things" are the killers!

I too am significantly overweight and have finally found the things that were keeping me that way. First, you MUST, I'm not saying think about it, but MUST write down every bite and sip that passes your lips for an entire week. None of the, "oh it is just one chip so I won't write it down" stuff allowed. ONLY YOU will see this log, but I suspect that you, LIKE ME, will be very surprised. You know what my one vice was? Creamer. Not just any creamer but the vanilla kind that you find in the dairy section. I figured out that I was taking in on minumum 400 extra calories a day from it alone. 400 extra calories over 9 days = one pound weight gain... so, write it ALL down. When you are done writing down EVERYTHING (am I stressing this enough?) you sit down at the library and calculate calories, there are dozens of books available to do this or online wherever Jen sends you (she rocks). You then can figure out what you are eating (in reality, not in your mind, because believe it or not they are often very different) and if it is the culprit. If you are over your calories you now have a sample of where/when you are going wrong to start shaving them off and if you find that you are in fact eating below the recommended calories per day that could very well be causing the slow loss, I was under 1000 for a significant amount of time, mind you 400 of that 1000 was pure junk! If you don't fuel the fire the fire won't burn. Your body needs fuel to burn... you must eat, but eat sensibly. And, NOTHING is forbidden, just take it in moderation!

As for working out. Cardio and resistance (weight training) is the ONLY way to build muscle and promote permanent weight management. (Note: I didn't say loss, I said management, this is a lifelong thing we are talking about...) If you aren't doing both you aren't going to get where you want. I see people at the gym who start strong doing just cardio, (I did this too, btw) and after about 10 pounds lost in a month or two they fizzle out and plateau. There are a few reasons for this but the main one is that cardio alone can only do so much. Muscle (built through resistance training) will burn more than cardio will. Please don't say, "I don't want to get bulky", cause I'd have to sling a dumbbell at you!

Ok, so that was diet/exercise makeover 101, getting started... It can be done, trust me, if I've lost 20 pounds ANYONE can. But, you have to sometimes step back and realize that you may be undermining yourself. The food log helps, god I hate doing it but I force myself to do one week every month to make sure I'm STAYING on track. Cardio and weight training are essential. I'm not going to go into target heart rate and all that, there are people here MUCH more qualified to explain that. But, I'm telling you you CAN lose the weight, don't get frustrated and give up!!!!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 9:24am
nothing to add, just "HI!" and that i agree with kiervin and jean -- there are 3 necessary parts to losing weight (counting calories, build muscle, cardio) and you must, must, MUST do all three. my only slight disagreement is that i personally think you should count calories longer than a week, and you might even have to keep doing it until you reach your goal weight.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:07am
I'm curious to know what you're eating too. A lot of people THINK they know what's healthy but then when you look at their meals, you see there is not a good balance of fats, carbs, and proteins at EACH meal. Another good tip is to stop eating AT LEAST 2 hours before bedtime. You also want to limit stress and get plenty of rest. Too much stress and not enough sleep can release stress hormones to make it even more difficult to lose weight. We need more info to help; don't distress, there's an answer.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:58am
You know, Jen is really right about how long to count the calories. For me, when I started I did one week and saw my fault areas then relaxed about it after drawing up an "eating plan". I wasn't writing down everything I put in my mouth, because I had planned and pre-bought everything I put in my mouth (down to amounts). I don't log it daily now because I'm not that organized and I have a hard time keeping up with it. But, to keep a general feel/idea of my progress I do track one week a month. This works for me, again, because I plan ahead and because I'm such a creature of habit that I eat essentially the same thing everyday unless something major happens. But, even then I try to maintain my habits. When hubby got hurt and we had the hospital visit Monday I took peeled oranges, bananas and my morning grapefruit with us to snack on, no machines for me!

Anyway, Jen is right. The week is a good way to START, but you have to maintain healthy habits over the long term and for some people (most) that means daily, honest examination~

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 7:45pm
I've got an off-the-wal question...what's going on in your life as a whole? Lots of stress, lots of tension? And the answer is not "no more than usual" if "usual" is a high stress/tension environment.

Erin

quickblade14@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 8:05pm
What a group of supportive, smart people! I don't know what else I can add, but more encouragement. This forum is a great place for information and inspiration. If I may add my 2-cents worth... did you ever think about hiring a trainer or just doing a nutritional consultation with one? They can be expensive, however a wise investment. Even just meeting with a trainer once a week for a 6 week period can give you an amazing amount of knowledge and the boost mentally and phsically to get you in a nice groove! Good Luck!!!!