oh sugar sugar, oh honey honey...

iVillage Member
oh sugar sugar, oh honey honey...
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:45am
you are my candy girl, and i can't stop lovin' you....oh, sorry! i thought i'd extricate this thread from the april goals thread. honey isn't any better for you as a sweetener than white sugar (though it may have additional anti-oxidents or whatever, i don't know) -- all simple sugars affect the body in the same way. in the last issue of shape there was an article about this, how people mistakenly think that foods sweetened with fruit juice, molassas, or honey are better than foods sweetened with white sugar, when actually all added simple sugars are the same. i don't know if this would apply to stevia or not (but i personally think stevia is yucky). it totally makes sense now that i think about it, but i had tricked myself in this way too, thinking that my fruit sweetened soy delicious was better for me than regular soy delicious.

the first fitness magazine i've bought in who knows when and i'm quoting it all over this board! maybe i'll subscribe to shape and then i'll have all the answers for everyone on this board!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:00am
When I use honey I only use about half a teaspoon, when I use sugar its more like 2... so in that way honey IS better because I am using less.

Alana

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:08am
perhaps, but you'd have to check how many grams of sugar (carbs) are in half a teaspoon of honey vs. 2 teaspoons of white table sugar to know that. less volume doesn't necesarily mean less sugar.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:23am
Calorically, they are all similar and have high glycemic values so they raises your blood sugar level quickly. Honey is sweeter than sugar so I don't use as much. The darker the honey, the more antioxidants it has and it doesn't cause tooth decay. It's also got natural anti-bacterial properties. I've also read (for what it's worth) that children who eat local honey, have fewer allergies to local fauna. I don't think of it as health food, but I choose it over processed sugar. I don't use molasses, except for yearly gingerbread cookies, but it's a good source of iron. Now you have that song going through my head...you are my candy girl...

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:34am
In the back of my head, I thought they were the same calories per teaspoon, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's also like butter and olive oil having the same calories, but I can't remember for sure.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 12:15pm
Jen, I'm sitting here giggling at this thread. Now I've got that stupid song stuck. Hubby is a huge opponent to adding any sugar to anything. His feeling is that the only sugar we need is what we find naturally in our fruits and veggies. Talk about a purist. I'm trying to live by his mantra, because he doesn't have the weight issues I do, but it is really hard with my tea. I've cut sugar from coffee but have now given up tea because I can't choke it down plain.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 12:30pm
Kiervin, I only drink tea (hot or cold) without sugar. DH calls it "dirty water" but that's the way I prefer to drink it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 1:40pm
me too. tea + sugar = yuck. (nt)
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 8:21pm
Are you all mind-readers????? My husband and I were just having this debate this morning... I'm a fan of honey in my oatmeal and he's a fan of brown sugar... I have to admit, I thought I was being the healthier one, but... here's my answer on this forum. Darn, does this mean I actually have to admit to him that he was right? O, that's ok! :) Thanks for being mind readers everyone!