Now to through everthing upside down!

iVillage Member
Now to through everthing upside down!
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:47am
Did you see the new research, article published about it in USATODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-04-08-atkins-analysis_x.htm

Just a bit of food for thought? What is your opinon?

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 12:32pm
You know, we've talked about this around here at least a dozen times. When you restrict something entirely from your diet, like carbs, you will inherently cut calories. To lose a pound of weight you must take in 3500 less calories than you burn. If you are eating 1500 calories but take out 700 of them by cutting carbs you WILL lose weight. Will it be healthy weight loss? I don't think so. I think that the food pyramid is a bit skewed in ratios, at least from what I've been reading, however I still believe in the underlying philosophy of it. You should eat a balanced diet that includes all of the food groups or equivalents. Any "diet" plan that tells you to cut something entirely (even fats) is in my humble opinion (as if I'm EVER humble) dangerous and wrong. Our bodies benefit from balance not deprivation!

BTW, the majority of people that I've seen advocate for the Atkin's Diet out here have been obviously overweight, constantly sickly, and from my experience generally ignorant folks, that alone made me skeptical of the plan. (I had four people recommend doing that instead of "wasting my time" at L3L in classes.) I'm not a big fan of meat to start with so it was a no-brainer for me, but it bothers me that so many people have bought into this plan with all of the research and data showing how dangerous such a diet can be. My trainer came to me to "test my knowledge" the other day with a diet plan given to one of her new clients by his doctor. He has to lose 50 pounds FAST due to health concerns, including heart problems. It was essentially the Atkin's plan. The thing was that they had a guy who has clogged arteries on a plan that gives him BACON. Um, hello??? Bacon for a guy waiting for bypass surgery? Nevermind he would be an idiot from the no carbs portion of it and unable to function, they were giving him a diet prescription for death. He was happy with the doc's recommendations and less so with the plan that she drew up, duh... Ok, so let's wrap this rant up. If you want to lose weight, cutting 3500 calories with drop a pound. The question is HOW do you want to lose weight? Do you want to deprive your body of what it should be getting and put yourself at risk or do you want to learn the concept of balance and do an overall shave of calories to get there? It is a matter of personal opinion and preference, I'll take the balance and let the Atkin's people clog their arteries til their little hearts burst!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 12:34pm
I think I've heard (and it makes sense to me) that the reason that people are actually consuming fewer calories is that protein and fat are more filling than simple carbohydrates, which can reduce what people are eating at mealtime, but a strict adherence to the diet also forces people to pay attention to what they're eating, and it's not as simple as grabbing a bag of potato chips to snack on. Most of the easy snack foods are prohibited on low-carb diets!

Personally, I'd still never do it. I'm a firm believer in balance and I love my carbs, simple and complex! I'm interested, though, that nobody's talking about Atkins being hard on the kidneys anymore....I'd heard that was refuted, but never saw any data.

So that's my two cents!

Judie

P.S. Just found an article from our local NBC station on the same subject: http://www.nbc5.com/health/2097961/detail.html

Edited 4/9/2003 1:04:28 PM ET by judie_rae

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 3:07pm
oh, high protein diets are definitely bad for you (not to mention the saturated fat and cholesterol in the atkins diet!) -- there's about a bajillion medical studies on the subject. among other things, it tends to cause kidney stones and encourages urinary calcium losses. it's especially dangerous for diabetics, whose kidneys are already being taxed.

it's not new news that people on the atkins diet often experience lowered blood pressure or improved cholesterol. that doesn't mean the diet isn't unhealthy. it's commonly thought that those are short term benefits resulting from weight loss (due to restricted calories) but are outweighed in the long term by the harm from the dietary cholesterol, high-protein intake, etc. etc.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:59pm
Let's not forget all the sodium in bacon, to make that guy's blood pressure skyrocket. n/t
Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 5:34pm
Can anyone say 'ketosis'. I say, "Everything in moderation." The body needs a variety of foods for a variety of reasons & no food should be forbidden, just eaten in moderation. What the Atkins' diet fails to address is that we need carbs for fuel. Protein is a building block for the cells of the body, carbs fuel it. (Did you know that the human body can only synthesize a certain amount of protein over a period of time. Anything more is waste - or is that waist.) What about vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, etc., etc.? Doesn't a body need these things to achieve/maintain optimum health & fight illness/disease?

What kills me is how long diabetics have been successfully losing fat & maintaining that loss despite feeling like they're eating twice as much as they did prior to diagnosis. Drs. that treat diabetes have known for years that eating a wide variety of foods in small amounts at frequent intervals not only help their patients lose fat & maintain that loss, but lowers their blood pressure & cholesteral levels, regulates their blood sugar/insulin levels & increases energy levels. Why did it take the rest of the world so long to catch on & why do we still have people jumping on the bandwagon of every crazy diet that comes along? What particularly scares me is that the Atkins' diet has continued to be popular. People are more concerned w/ quick fixes and thinness than their health. Do these people have any idea whatsoever what this teaches their kids, not only about eating habits, but self-image & self-esteem? Aargh!

Sorry. I'm done my rant now.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:24pm
EXACTLY!!! I'm writing a book, that's it, I'm writing a book! Must go focus and organize and ARGH... Darnit, Susan Powter stole the best book name already, but seriously, this isn't rocket science. I understand it therefore anyone can! Must go write now! I'll make my million yet!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press