Wednesday log

iVillage Member
Wednesday log
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 2:44pm
Who does drop sets? Was it Soleil? I tried them today and they're really tough! I've never done them before and my muscles burned. I don't know if I'm doing them right, but I started at my normal weights, then worked my way down the rack, working each to exhaustion. I couldn't get over how heavy the lower weights felt. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

After skating last night and 25 minutes on the stairmaster beforehand, I had too wiped out to work the crosstrainer as hard. I did level 11 for two minutes/level 8/9 for two minutes for half an hour and that was as high as I could manage. I was nice and let a woman who had a screaming child in the playroom go ahead of me on the crosstrainer, or I would have done that first. I figured if she didn't get on then, they would have called her out. I"m feeling good, though and burned off 500 calories on the machines...or so they say...

Jen, I still have that song in my head!

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 2:56pm
If I understand what you're referring to, I do them all the time when I lift! I do either three sets of 8 or 10 or two sets of 15, depending on how strong I am, starting with the highest weight, working to fatigue (which is why it's 8, 10, or 15), then dropping 10-15 pounds (depends on the increments in the plates) for the successive set(s). 50 pounds turns into a whole lot after two harder sets! I find that it's great for improving my strength on a regular basis and keeping me motivated--I don't feel a sense of failure because as far as I'm concerned, fatigue is always good, regardless of what weight I'm using.

I can't wait for next week! My licensing exam is Friday, after Friday then I get to go back to the gym for at least the next three months (when I get the results and decide which exam I'm taking next April, the one that I failed or the Structural exam if I pass)! I can sooooo see the results of not working out regularly for six weeks and I don't like them a bit (those would be my blubby thighs ;) ). My motivation after the exam will be the bike ride with my dad, but three weeks after that, the suburb I live in is having a sprint triathlon/duathlon that I'm going to train for as well! My SO's sister swims, and she seems interested in being in a team with me, she'd swim (400m) and I'd bike (15 mi) and run (5k), but if she doesn't feel like doing it, I can at least do the duathlon (5k run, 15 mile bike, 5k run). More lofty goals!

But for the next two days, I'm just looking forward to being able to join the logs next week.....

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 3:15pm
super duper cardio fun day! after not working out since last saturday, i'm doing 3, count 'em 3! cardio classes today. at lunch i had kickboxing, at 5:45 i am co-teaching a hi/lo class, and somehow i'm going to then manage to take step II at 7:05. i feel like deb, doing so many classes in one day!

i have a spirulina bar as a snack for between classes latter - anyone know if that stuff is actually good for you or is just a scam? i just got it because it was one of the healthier (i.e. least sugar and chemical ingredients) bars available at juice joint.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 3:37pm
Spinning an hour at 6 pm, abs feel stangely firm todyay :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 3:44pm
I will go running this evening. My goal is at least 2.75 miles today.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 4:26pm
That's kind of what I was doing, only I started with one set with the heaviest. I did as many as I could, then dropped to the next lowest weight, etc. How many times a week did you do them?

Good luck on your exam Friday! We'll post positive thoughts for you here.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 4:28pm
What are good power bars? I haven't really looked into them but they look like a quick, easy thing to eat. I know someone who did the team in training for a marathon and her trainer said Clif bars were the only ones he'd eat. Not the chocolatey desserty kinds, but peanut butter or fruit ones. Once in a while I'll have a few bites of pb, but those things are loaded with calories (I guess that's the point). How did the spirulina one taste?

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 5:14pm
I was doing weights about twice a week, for example, I'd do inner thigh at 100 for 10 reps, 90 for 10, and then 80 for ten. No, not all my weights are that heavy! ;) I happen to have equestrienne's legs, which lends itself to strong inner thighs. I am leg-heavy, though, and love the strength I have, so I'm not necessarily looking to do high-reps and low weights.

Thanks for the good wishes, I'm starting to lose my mind already! But you'd think with all the support I have I'd ace it...and I highly doubt (it's impossible) that will happen!

And as far as snack bars go, I eat the Kashi Go-Lean bars when I'm falling behind, I can't remember the exact proportions, but they're high protein and high fiber. The fat content is a little high because they're coated with cane-sugary stuff (no corn syrup, I don't think), and they're not as filling as I'd like, but they'll do for a snack instead of something that's carbo-loaded. They're a little hard to find, not cheap either, but I know my local Osco carries them with the other diet supplements (other Oscos don't) and they're available on the website.

Back to work, 45 minutes more!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:42pm
it tasted pretty good. kinda like a coconut macaroon. but it had palm kernal oil in it :(

i can't find any vegan power bars that meet my specifications of having only good fats, whole grains and no added sugar. i'd bake my own if i didn't hate cooking so much. i'd make it with puffed brown rice and other puffed grains, oatmeal, peanut butter, and dried fruits for sweetness. it'd be like a healthy rice krispy treat.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:47pm
Have you tried Clif bars? I looked at the label for the first time. Other than all the sugar, it's decent, non-gmo soy products and it's vegan. I might have them more often. Here's the peanut butter crunch:

http://www.clifbar.com/clifproducts/bar/crunchy.html

I love that the label on the peanut butter bars say, "May contain traces of peanut or other nuts."

Maybe we can work together on an ideal power bar, something that isn't too sweet, has only good fats, soy protein, etc. Maybe w/ an Optimum base? I love to bake. I'm going to look it up online and see if I can find something.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:56pm
You do serious leg work! I'm leg heavy, too. Do you have problems finding clothes that fit sometimes? Maybe it's my height but I can't find boots that fit my calves. Sometimes fitted pants, like capris, don't fit either, too.

I've seen those Kashi go-lean bars somewhere (maybe Trader Joe's, but I can't remember) and wondered how they were. I'll check them out. I need some easy snacks.

Pages