Treamill question!

iVillage Member
Treamill question!
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 9:52am
Hi guys! This is my first time writing on the message board, I recently joined iVillage and I love it.

Anywayz, I need some help. I run to love on the treadmill but i get so sweaty it's gross and very annoying. I feel like I can keep running all night, I'm not out of breathe and my body doesn't hurt, it's just that I get so sweaty i have to stop. I dont' know why this happens. Does anyone know what I can do or what I should do to prevent it?

I'm in very good shape, so it's not like I can't keep up. I don't sweat this much on the elliptical or stair master.

Thanks!!!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:38am
Welcome! Have you taken your heartrate on the machines? Make sure you're in your target heartrate zone. If you are, then that might be just how your body is. I sweat a lot, too. I keep a towel draped on the machines and wipe with it frequently.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:39am
hi jeannine. i'm not sure i understand the question, why does sweating prevent you from continuing to run? if it's annoying, perhaps you could wear a sweatband or a bandanna or keep a towel handy. as far as being gross, i don't mean this in an obnoxious way, but you'll just have to get over that if you want to exercise effectively. if you aren't sweating, you aren't getting your heartrate high enough to do you much benefit. if you want to build cardio fitness, you gotta sweat.

it doesn't matter whether you are in very good shape -- sweating is actually a sign of good physical fitness: the more fit you are, the more you sweat. you are probably working harder on the treadmill than you are on elliptical or the stairmaster -- even if you are not pushing yourself particularly hard on the treadmill, it's still high impact as compared to the other two. if you don't like the treadmill for whatever reason, don't use it, but unless you push yourself hard enough to sweat with some kind of cardio or another, you aren't really getting a work out at all.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:57am
Hi, I know you're right it is obviously a better workout for me if I'm sweating so much more on the treadmill than any other machine. I do keep a towel handy. I have to stop because either sweat is dripping in my eyes and burning them or my walkman is slipping off my arm because it's so sweaty. I am constently using the towel as well. I do sweat a lot on the other machines, but it's definetly an extreme difference when i'm on the treadmill. But, you're right I should just suck it up and get over it. I just wasn't sure if there was something I was maybe doing wrong.

Thanks!