advice please - resting muscles...

iVillage Member
advice please - resting muscles...
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 9:55am
yesterday i went to a short bodysculpting class even though today is my strength training day because they mostly do stuff like push ups. but we did do one exercise with weights, side and front shoulder raises. i used eight lbs. because there were no 5 lbs. available and it was hard. today my bicep is sore from these, but not in the normal place i usually work my bicep. it is NOT an option to not do bodysculpting (my normal strength training) today. so, what i was thinking, i definitely won't do any shoulder raises if he has us do them today (we don't do them every time, if he does i'll just do a different shoulder exercise) and i'll keep my weights light on the bicep curls. does that sound like i'll get enough of a workout for all body parts between today and yesterday but also enough rest for my muscles? any suggestions?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:32am
I wouldn't work them at all. No matter what weight you use they still need time to repair after you ripped them down. You will just get more sore tommorow if you work them again at all. Usually I don't get sore from a weights workout till the NIGHT after or two days later. Just MHO.

Alana

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:50am
well i don't really care if i'm sore or not, i just don't want to injure myself. the problem with not working my biceps at all is that yesterday i didn't really work my biceps - it was a shoulder exercise (that didn't tire my shoulders, go figure) that just happened to also use a weird part of my bicep that i don't ordinarily work (sort of on the outside of my arm, near the elbow) - the part of my bicep that i ordinarily work (the part that bulges when you make a muscle) didn't get a workout at all. and if i don't do my biceps today, i won't work them out twice this week, and that is not good. maybe the problem is that i'm too obsessive about exercising all of my muscles twice a week. this is why i hate classes that just casually use weights for like two exercises!! it screws up my weightlifting schedule for the whole week.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:55am
Can you do them w/out weights? I've had instructors tell us that was an option. If you usually use heavy weights, you could go lighter then. Listen to you body--you can always go lighter or add weights while you're doing it.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:08am
i normally use 15lbs in each hand for bicep curls to start, i was thinking of starting at 12lbs. but you know what, maybe soleilune could comment on anatomy but i'm sitting here poking at myself and i don't even think it IS my bicep that's sore. i think it's like a small stabilizing muscle in my arm that i never learned the name of, because it seems to be attached to the muscle in my forearm, which is also sore. i think it's just sore because i did an exercise i don't often do (where i had to hold my arm up parallel to the ground with the fist facing the ground), and as long as i don't do any kind of arm raises where i have to hold my arm parallel to the floor i'll be fine.

but that does it! i'm not taking any more classes with like 1 or 2 random weighted exercises and if they try to get me to do any i'm using 1 lbs weights!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:25am
Those little bits of power toning do mess up lifting. I never know how that fits in because you're not building muscles those days with the light weights. I thought it would be okay to do toning and lifting on consecutive days but I've never done it before.

That does bring up something I was wondering about, too. I've been doing assisted pullups and pushups the same day as lifting. I usually do the push ups at home later in the day and the assisted pull ups first. Should I do them on different days from lifting? I'd probably be able to do more if I did them on different days but then I'd be doing consecutive days. Oh, and I'm not at all sore from the drop sets yesterday! Yea! I thought w/ how much they burned that I'd be really sore.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:38am
yeah, i always wondered that too - can you do more exercises like pull ups later in the same day as your other strength training workout? or do you have to wait two days? what if you only take a break for a half hour? ten minutes? this is all very confusing and irritating to try to schedule.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 12:28pm
My uneducated guess would be that it depends exactly what part of the muscle and how. How is that for vague? What I mean is that I always do compound exercise to start a muscle or group of muscles so that the stabilizers and little things get their workout too, before I do an isolation exercise. I close out with a different compound exercise usually, unless I'm just wiped. So, back day I do my assisted pull-ups first since they hit everything but chest. Then I do some isolation exercises for back, after that I hit cardio again to keep heart rate up, then I do shoulders, which if you look at it have already been worked some with the pull-ups and one last set of assisted pull ups. That doesn't address the big picture though, when I do my back I have hit my shoulders, bis, tris and forearms. I however do not work bi's and tri's specifically until the next day. I've always considered the collateral workout they get on back day negligible enough to go ahead with the schedule and haven't had any problems. I don't know if this helps or clarifies my take (which is of course that of a beginner anyway) on "extra" work on muscle groups on non-lifting (that group) days... How's this? If you haven't done a specific isolation exercise for a muscle group and it was only worked collaterally when doing something else **I** feel it is ok to work it without rest. If however you have worked it specifically, rest it!

I think I know the spot you are talking about with the soreness, I had a terrible time with it when I first started working out. One of those stabilizer areas just below your bicep (if you sit with your arm on a table in front of you with your palms down it would be the spot at the top of what is showing and just above the elbow?). My trainer said that the twisting as I brought the dumbbells in front of me was the culprit and that the range of motion was too much for my still weak body. Lowered the weights and limited the range of movement and it stopped, I'm now going from palms in at the starting position whereas I had to start with them pointing behind me for a good bit. My shoulder did the same thing, we had to break it down to very precise isolation exercises to work them for a long time. Now, my advocacy for safety. Is it soreness or pain? Because I don't recommend doing anything if there is any possibility at all you have actually injured yourself and it isn't just simple muscle soreness!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 1:13pm
eureka! the muscle is called my brachioradialis. saw it on a poster in my gym. and it was sore, not in pain. if you sit with your hands on front of you palms down on a table, it is right above the elbow, but a little on the outside of your arm, not right in the center where the bulge of your bicep is. it goes along from there to the inside of your lower arm. like i suspected, it's one of many small muscles in that part of the arm.

i did bodysculpting, avoided 15lb weights for biceps, careful not to use my brachioradialis and i think it's all good. and now i'm actually excited to learn anatomy for my certification test. i loved biology in school.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:03pm
That makes sense about the collateral workout w/in a day. What about in consecutive days? Can I do lat pull downs one day and then assisted pull ups the next?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:53pm
Here's my rule of thumb, " If you feel acute pain in a muscle, as opposed to a 'burn' or dull ache in the 'belly' of that muscle, or pain around a joint, you are injured or in danger of being injured." In this case stop what you are doing & do not do anything that may aggravate this until the pain is gone. If you feel pain for more that 36-48 consult a Dr. I don't have enough info from you about the nature or location of the pain to comfortably answer beyond what I've said. Do you feel constant pain or only when you do certain movements?

As for doing pull-ups & push ups, they should be considered part of a chest/back workout, done at the same time as the workout. For those of you w/ the goal of an unassisted pull-up, you might want consider giving these exercises their own day - ie.: Day1 - chest/back; Day2 - biceps/triceps; Day3 - isolated legwork (calf raises, leg extensions, hamstring curls, etc.); Day4 - shoulders/pull-ups/push-ups; Day5 - compound legwork (squats, lunges, etc.).

Soleilune

Pages