What r the best toning exercises for

iVillage Member
What r the best toning exercises for
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:35pm
the lower body? I m concerned about the flabbyness in my butt, and thighs. I really want to tighten it up, but I am not sure what exersice/equipment give the best results.

I just started doing 50 min. of cardio 2 weeks ago. (speed walking/ecliptical machine)I feel like i m only losing weight in my upper body. Confused??

Advice appreciated!

thanks

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:44pm
I have heard for lower body best is walking on treadmill with a good incline.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:57pm
hello and welcome! you can't lose fat from specific parts of your body, your genetics and hormones (female/male, menstruating/menopausal) will determine from where your body loses fat first and where it holds on tight. that's why you see fat loss from your upper body as a result of the cardio you've been doing. my body also loses fat from my upper torso first. i can look scrawny on my collarbones and arms and still have a big old bottom, it's just the way i'm built. that's the bad news. but there's good news - you CAN tone your lower body and build muscle down there and that will make you look firmer, fit into clothes better, AND help you lose more overall body fat so that your body will (hopefully) actually move on to letting some lower body fat go.

to build muscle, do exercises with enough weight that you can only do 8-15 reps. do you belong to a gym? good exercises for butt and thighs include weighted lunges and squats (you can use the smith machine to help with these if you belong to a gym), the leg press machine, that quadricep machine (what's it called, where you sit down and bend and unbend your leg), weighted front and side leg raises (use your hand to balance a lightish weight right above your knee).

toning is good too - cardio that targets the butt and thighs includes the stairmaster, bike (spinning, stationary or road), step class, cardio kickboxing (depending on the instructor). i'm sure there are good videos that target the lower body too.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:59pm
Welcome! There are two parts to this. First, if you want to get rid of jiggle, then you need to lose fat. You can't spot reduce fat, as you found out when you lost weight in your upper body. You lose fat by burning more calories than you take in and it happens where your body wants to lose it. Cardio, like you've been doing, helps burn a lot of calories at once. The other thing you can do is to build muscle which also burns more calories which leads to the second part. You can spot tone by working a muscle group more. By lifting, especially with your lower body in the larger muscle groups, you'll tone the area, build muscle, which burns more fat and will give you better definition.

So, to tighten up your butt, continue with cardio (it helps to do things that target that area like the stairmaster, elliptical, treadmill), making sure to squeeze your glutes with the contractions. Then add weight training, esp. lunges, squats that will build those muscles. Hope that helps!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:04pm
Darn, if I had known you were going to answer, I would have saved time and not done it. You always give good comprehensive answers!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:44pm
sorry! you usually beat me to it! i have a sneaking suspicion that one of us is superfluous on this board, and it's not you!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:55pm
Just to add on to what the others have already said, the ORDER in which you lose weight is the exact opposite in which you gain, for most people. If you usually FIRST notice weight gain in your hips, that's usually going to be the LAST place you'll see weight loss. Cruel, isn't it? Just keep working and know that you are probably genetically programmed to lose the weight in your lower body last. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:12pm
Wow, as much as I've been researching and as many people as I've talked to, nobody has revealed that tidbit before. It makes sense though! I'm fairly happy that it seems to be coming off proportionally on me, I lay it down evenly when I gain. Well nearly, my chest isn't losing as fast as my hips/butt/abdomen and if this theory holds I should slim down and not lose the curves, because they are the first place I gained! Though, I would be happy to give up a cup or two... keep telling my girlfriend who wants implants they can transplant the two cups from me!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:17pm
I think everyone else about covered it, I just wanted to add that I've seen some great results since adding in the rotating stairmaster, weighted squats and firm videos with the fanny lifter to my routine. I've become a firm believer in compound exercises that hit multiple muscles at once. Squats, Lunges, and stairclimbing, which is more cardio but on the rotating one I can take every other step and do a lunging walk up them which really puts a burn on the glutes! The firm videos and fanny lifter are challenging and very focused on not only cardio but building muscle. And even my uncoordinated being can follow them (well there is one part that I trip over my own feet, but that is just me) easily!

Good luck, and welcome to the board.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:28pm
LOL, my friend is going to get a reduction and the rest of us asked the same thing. You know, the military will pay for reductions if you're over a certain size. My friend was an I cup when she was nursing. I just can't imagine it.