Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:08pm
Let's think of some workout myths that we see at the gym. Things like:

"The louder I grunt, the more I can lift."

"My sweat is as clean as water so I'll just leave it on the machines."

"Swinging the weight is the same as lifting the weight."

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:24pm
"No pain, no gain." This myth is the bane of my existence, professionally. Another is the belief that if you allow your abdominals to bulge when working them they'll develop that way (absolutely not true). How about, "If a little is good, more is better." Then there's the belief that fat just magically appears all of a sudden (it takes just as long to put it on as take it off).
Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 5:00pm
"It's so nice of the StairMaster makers to put railings on the machines so that I can rest the top-half of my body while my lower body does all of the work."

"I love how my gym has mirros everywhere so that I can check out the men walking in without them noticing."

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 5:10pm
not a workout misperception, but how about the misperception that clogged arteries are fun? the other day a friend asked me if i wanted one of her oatmeal bars (which she eats as a healthy snack) ... i read the ingredients and declined. she wanted to know why not, i told her that i don't eat things with partially hydrogenated oils because they are very bad for you. she responded that my boyfriend and i must have a good sex life because i never have any other fun. (huh? yeah, i didn't get the connection either...) i cracked up - "oh yeah, partially hydrogenated oil is so fun! woo hoo, it's a big party with the hydrogenated oil!" i said, laughing my butt off. speaking of misperceptions, somehow this intelligent, educated woman who tries to eat healthy had never heard of trans fats. later she wanted to know if that was the "powderpuff" girls on my wallet, and i had the chance to turn the tables and comment: "now who's no fun, you don't even know who the powerpuff girls are, and they are way funner than any stinky old hydrogenated oil!"
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 5:39pm
LOL, those are so funny! I never thought about that w/ the mirrors, though...hmmm, since some stairmasters are facing away from the mirrors, I can discreetly check out all angles!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 5:44pm
I must have missed that study that people who eat partially hydrogenated foods have more fun.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:27pm
ACK! They can see me checking them out? Oh crud!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:32pm
"I can eat anything I want, because I just worked out." I usually do my shopping after I work out and have been the mall complex on base and run into others who were just at the gym. To a person they are eating CRAP. Popeyes, Pizza and Tacos seem to be the most popular. Yep, you burned 400 calories on the stairmaster today, you are half way to burning off one of those three tacos in front of you Skippy!

The only other one I'm fearful to post around a group of women, but must. No matter what they think, the four or five women who do their make-up right before coming do not look more attractive than the rest of us. They look like raccoons, very scary, very rapid raccoons!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 1:25pm
when i used to play field hockey in high school, a lot of girls would do their makeup before practice or games. that always cracked me up: oh yeah sweetie, you look so feminine and beautiful with your mouth guard (lipstick + mouthguard = ?!?) and your shin guards, grunting as you swing that huge stick as hard as you possibly can, a little makeup is just bound to finish off the look perfectly!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:03pm
Another one:

"I use the cell phone for the 'talk test' on the bike to make sure I'm in the target zone."

I'm hoping it's not a trend but I've seen two women in the past week on cell phones while on the bikes.

"I like to share the music from my walkman with everyone from the gym."

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:12pm
OK, I might be guilty of the walkman thing. I play mine very loud when I'm on the verge of giving up. It helps me get through. To make matters worse, when it's really bad, I mouth the words to the songs and make faces. I didn't think anyone could hear it over the machines and the music that the gym plays but I'll watch it next time.

Pages