Thoughts about this board?

iVillage Member
Thoughts about this board?
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:38pm
Does this board affect your life at all, other than having fun? If it does, how? Is there anything you'd change about it?

I was just thinking about it and how my workout/diet has gotten so much better the past few months (since so many of you have joined in!) because of the board. Until last fall, I just did classes, same ones every week. Over the summer, I did more activities outdoors for a little change. But, the past few months, with all your input, I've really picked up my workouts and gone for more variety and harder intensity. I feel like I'm setting tougher but workable goals. Also, I hadn't lifted in a while and am back to it, though while I like muscular and strong, I do tend to bulk (though most women don't!) or at least develop short, thick muscles so we'll see how this goes.

Plus, though I've always tried to eat well, like working out, I have my ups and downs. I'm making a bigger effort to eat better and have learned so much about so many new things here.

It's not just soleil who gives great professional feedback, or the ones who have worked out for a long time and know so much, but also the newbies with their enthusiasm and questions. The questions are great because they get me thinking about starting a work out, and, as they say, the best way to learn something is to explain it.

So, we've been through a lovefest already on this board about how much we like the people. Now, I'm starting one on motivation. Plus, this will be good feedback as cl on what motivates, doesn't motivate, likes, dislikes, etc.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:05am
This board has been a great source of information. It's nice to chat with people who are as enthusiastic about moving their bodies as I am. I enjoy being in the company of other strong women and women who are not afraid to sweat.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:38am
this board has definitely had an impact on me. for one thing, i don't think i would be training to be an instructor right now if not for the board - i think you all gave me the idea, and soleilune's information about instructing definitely had an impact on me actually taking steps to do it. spinink's reassurance about working out with a navel piercing was what led me to finally decide to do that after considering it for a long time. i think y'all were the ones who inspired me to try pilates. i could probably go on.

the best things about the board as a practical matter as far as making changes in one's life are (1) the opportunity to ask questions of experienced people, (2) the accountability (y'all WILL find out if i did what i said i'd do or not), & (3) hearing about other's workouts, to get ideas. ALSO, the repetition of what i already know to keep on me about what i don't do that i should do (i.e. everytime i read about you guys stretching or drinking or water, or something i SHOULD be doing more, it reminds me that i need to change that)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:51am
I agree--it's great having a group of women who think it's good to work hard.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:53am
I've also considered more seriously doing something in the health field--I'm not sure whether as an instructor or trainer (or both, like soleil)--because of this board.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 1:56pm
There are so many things I like about this board. One is being able to share a common interest from women around the world. Women who are active & into fitness and a healthy lifestyle, because it makes them FEEL good, looking good is the bonus. I like the honest, realistic attitude of the people here. I like this board because we're comfortable enough here that we can go off topic w/o totally losing sight of our reason for being here. Also, offering my expertise helps me keep on top of my game professionally & makes me feel good when I have a positive effect. I feel it's one's responsibility to share their wealth, whatever form that wealth might take. Mine happens to be a sense of joy & wonder at all life has to offer & a great deal of health/fitness/dietary knowledge. This board is a place where I know the time & effort I put into pecking out a post is well spent. The things I read here also help me better myself as a professional. I am constantly encouraging my clients/participants to come to me w/ questions/concerns/feedback & all I ever hear >>>blushing<<< is how great a job I do. That's wonderful, but w/o constructive feedback it's so easy to get stale. I know too, that not everyone likes exactly the same thing. Although in a class setting I must cater to the needs of the majority, I want to know what each individual wants/needs/expects so I can try to offer everyone options to tailor their workout for themselves. Coming here does this for me to a degree. I believe we learn more from experience, our own & others', than from anything else. Coming here allows me to share your experience, which hopefully makes me a better person, personally & professionally.

That and you're just a great bunch of women w/ wonderful attitudes & a sense of humour that brightens my day.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 9:32am
As a newbie, I'll pipe up and say that I love the encouragement and thoughtful advice I've gotten here already. It's obvious that this group is more than just a bunch of women sharing exercise tips... you really care about each other's lives and the support you offer is immediately obvious. It's great to be able to jump in as a newcomer and be privy to the same kind of warmth and support. It's also nice to see everyone shunning quick fixes and offering the same brand of no-nonsense, HEALTHY advice. So kudos all around!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 10:41am
I'm glad you joined us! We were all newbies at some time and every newbie adds a new perspective. Hope your knee gets better!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 11:00am
Yesterday, it was a beautiful 82 degrees. I thought the gym would be empty and I could get a quick run in on the treadmill on my way home. Boy was I wrong! Every treadmill was in use and there was a sign-up sheet with 4 names on it for the next available treadmill. There was no way I was about to sit there and wait. I went down to the locker room and gathered my things. Then I thought, "What would a REAL Gym Rat do?" I put my things back in the locker and went back up to the treadmills. By then, the sign-up sheet was even longer! I said, "Forget the Gym Rats" and I gathered my things and left. A few hours later while I was preparing dinner, I began thinking about some of the posts earlier in the day. I had an honest conversation with myself and realized that I used the sign-up sheet as an excuse for not going to the gym. It was a nice day and I just didn't feel like going. That was the truth. So, while my fish was marinating, I got in the car and drove to another gym and got in an incredible run. I felt great and I'm so thankful for this board for giving me the added push I need to go to the gym even when I "just don't feel like it."
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 11:23am
You're far more motivated than I am! I might have taken a walk, but I wouldn't have gone back to the gym. Good for you!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 11:57am
I think I would have called it happy with a walk or a tape too. Driving BACK to the gym would not have been something I would have done! And... you are a REAL gym rat in every sense of the phrase and an inspiration. I forgot my shoes on Friday, got all the way there and didn't have them. I didn't go back though! I worked out at home and only with half my heart for some reason. So, next time I should ask myself "What would a gym rat do?" and get more creative in my solutions...

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

Pages