Let's send positive thoughts to Judie!

iVillage Member
Let's send positive thoughts to Judie!
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 1:50pm
Today is her exam day and then she'll be back more! (nt)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:22pm
Sending every ounce of good wishes and luck I can spare in her direction. I'm sure that she will do great even without them though!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:37pm
I'm sure Judie is going to do just fine. She sounds well prepared, but a few more positive thoughts couldn't hurt.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 3:03pm
ditto! (nt)
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 9:56am
Thanks so much you guys!! I am SO glad that's over, I've been studying since January and really hard-core since the end of February and my head is just swimming with the idea of having FREE TIME again!

The morning part of the exam was okay, it was a general overview of civil engineering (structures like buildings and bridges, roadways, environmental, soils, water resources like water pipes and runoff), but the afternoon was MURDER. This is a new exam format, the examinees take an exam in their specialty and it's so focused and specification oriented. I know I missed several questions because my particular specialty within structural engineering isn't really mainstream, which means I don't have all of the specifications that were needed for the exam (and I'm filing my own written complaint about that).

I won't find out if I passed for at least a month, or it could be until July, either way I've got another one of these exams next April! If I didn't pass this one, I take it again. If I do pass, the Structural Engineer's exam is the next and last (first-time pass rate of 14% for the SE, not sure about the PE that I took yesterday). Why did I get into this field again? lol...

I'm so excited about starting my training! I feel so blubby...maybe blubby is just a state of mind, but I'm glad to feel almost-normal again! Have a great weekend girls!!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 12:35pm
congrats on your new free time! my advice based on experience with big tests like that (although it sounds like the bar exam is easier than the one you took!) is to forget about it until you get the results....don't even think about it or wonder how you did. just enjoy your new free time!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 1:53pm
WOOHOO! That must feel great! With a failure rate of 14% that sounds like a really tough test. Why is it I have no doubt you're used to being way better than that percentage?

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 10:35pm
I don't know about that, I hear the bar is AWFUL! At least I got to (had to, by licensing requirements) work before I took the exam so I have practical knowledge of some of this stuff, I can't imagine adding the "I'll never get a job if I don't pass" stress!

I had a great first free day--lunch with a buddy and then blew the wad at the bike shop! I've got a new pair of chamois shorts to try out TOMORROW, 2 new jerseys, a mini-pump in case of flat, and a rack to carry my bike to wherever we want to ride (so I can get E to go with me)! Tonight is the Food Network and TLC and working on an afghan that I've had in-process for about a year and a half and enjoying my last night of sleeping alone until the next time E has a conference (ahhh....peace and quiet...).

July will be just fine, I can live in blissful ignorance with no studying until then! It's an automatic three-month reprieve from studying, and the sooner I find out the sooner I start feeling pressured to study for the next exam (in a year).

Have a great day tomorrow!

Judie

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 11:02pm
It's so awesome to have my most pressing issue be what to clean/wear/shop for next! Actually I do need to put in an hour this weekend working on something I was supposed to do last week at work, my supervisor let me go at 3:30 on Thursday and I've got to get something out on Monday, so this weekend isn't all fun, but most of it is!

That 14% will worry me when it's time to take that test (for the Structural Engineer license), in 1996 (before they restructured the exam), the pass rate for the exam that I took on Friday was 65%. This is way different, the first licensing exam that I took (in '96) had a pass rate at the U of I of _97%_. I dunno, in high school I was definitely at the top, in college I was lower in the class rank (though still Dean's List), in grad school I wouldn't have been able to make the Dean's List if they had one, let's just say my professional confidence is a little less than what I'd hope it would be!

All I know is that I couldn't be happier to have that behind me, even if it's only temporary! I told someone yesterday that I'd rather walk to Canada than take that exam again, but since I've already walked to Canada (albeit from a more northern location)...I guess it wouldn't be such a stretch if I _had_ to take it again.

Hey--congratulations on your 200th post, busy girl! And have a great day tomorrow!

Judie (who's VERY excited about getting on her bike tomorrow after a car wash)

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 10:15am
funny that you say that about walking to canada...passing the bar exam was actually one of the more life changing things that i've done. it seemed like such an impossible task before i started studying, but then when i passed it, i realized something HUGE. i realized that there is no magic to accomplishing things that seem impossibly hard. everything can be conquered in the same way - you just plan out what you need to do (and if others have done it before you, all the easier to plan -- just use or modify what has worked for others, for instance following a running coach's marathon training schedule, or using study guides or prep courses to study for a professional exam) and then be dedicated to following your plan. the hardest part i think is following through, you have to have faith in your plan, and stick with it through the times when you get discouraged and pessimistic and try to convince yourself that you never should have started this whole thing. it seems obvious, but knowing that it makes sense isn't the same as really GETTING it - it was really a huge breakthrough in my life to realize that i could really accomplish so much more than what i thought was possible just by "planning my work and working my plan"

now i use that formula throughout my life and it has totally changed my life, as far as feeling fulfilled and happy. it was how i was able to accomplish my dream of taking a few months off for a road trip across the country, it was how i ended up being able to leave litigation (which was psychologically hard to leave) and end up with a job i love. it was how i ended up in an amazing relationship. pretty much everything that i love about my life now came from that concept.