Outta the gym...no motivation...

iVillage Member
Outta the gym...no motivation...
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 9:50am
So, I bailed on my gym--my last day there was Thurs. last week. But now I have little motivation to do stuff at home--mostly because things are a bit more limited here, but also because my ds attempts to climb all over me in the middle of things (as many of you might understand, having BTDT)! I hate my videos--I only have one set at the moment, which covers abs, arms, legs, and butt--and am waiting for a Firm dvd. Hopefully that will help, but I think it will still be near impossible to be motivated at home. Grrrr! It almost makes me angry! And the worst part, I think, is that it interferes w/my whole day--I don't have the jump-start/get-up-and-go each morning! By the time I get around to 'living' it's nearly noon already! Ugh!

Well, thanks for letting me vent here, even tho I have hung up my Gym Rat status for the time being...hopefully things will look up when we move...assuming I can relieve my ds of his 'Mama's Boy' tendencies (which is a whole other story in itself)...

Erika

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 12:39pm
i'm biased because i just got back from pilates class and i feel really great, but what about getting a pilates video you can do at home? you'd have to find a way to keep your son from climbing on you while you do it, but it's such a great workout that makes you feel strong and ready for the day. and with all the lifting and everything that you do, i bet you need a lot of core (abs and back) strength.

i think things will be better once you get used to the change, get your home workout schedule set up and all that. you just have to get into a new routine.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 1:57pm
It's hard for me to get motivated outside the gym, too. When my son was younger, he'd climb all over me while I did abs so it added to the workout. Another good workout when they're young is to lie on your back, let him play superman on your lower legs and move them around w/ your upper body in a crunch. They love it and you get a great ab workout.

Anyway, I know I've said it before, and I didn't listen when I was there, but those times go by quickly. Maybe Deb, the queen of home equipment, has some advice on what's good at home. Hope you still join us, even if you're not officially a "gymrat" for the time being.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 2:56pm
Another thought...

There is a board called Rate Your Video and Equipment that might help for home work outs. Here's the site:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-fbgear

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 5:22pm
I'm so sorry that you seem to be against the wall like this. I do remember those days when my two were younger, my son more so than daughter (it's a boy thing). What are the odds of getting your work out in while he naps? Or does he even nap? (mine never did). How about setting him up with a video while you do a tape? I hate to admit this but I'm very guilty of using Barney vids when the kids were young so I would have me time.

I know, sometimes you just have to trudge through it and there is nothing that will work. If venting helps, they by all means vent away! That is why we are here, to support one another through these hard times and motivate during the good!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press