When it rains it pours, especially in HI

iVillage Member
When it rains it pours, especially in HI
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 12:28pm
I will be out of the gym for a bit, with little chance of reprieve as I got last week after Greg's accident.

On Friday afternoon, I was in a major car crash with two other cars and a couple of steel guard rails. The police on the scene said that they seriously doubt that the damage done to my two year old minivan is fixable. It will take at least a week for the insurance to make a decision and move on it. Even if they can repair it, the insurance company says it may be seized for evidence in a lawsuit against the carmaker. There was a seat back failure that caused me no small amount of pain during the initial contact and the failure of both airbags to deploy despite my taking two head-ons into guardrails at high enough rates of speed to warrant it. If I see one more report on air bags going off for parking dings I'm gonna go postal, I really needed mine and they were nowhere to be seen!

I'm ok. Bruised, battered and thankful to be alive, interspersed with very angry at the man who hit me and the fact that I'm scared to even walk past a car, much less get into one. It was ugly and I have the bruises to show for it. Thankfully, I was alone at the time so nobody else in the house was hurt. The driver of the third car was fine, it could have been much worse between our two cars and I'm thankful he was ok. The guy who hit me first was however pulled from his car by an ambulance and rushed off before the police even arrived. Speculation among witnesses is that he may have been drinking (unlear if the slurred words were due to a head injury or prior condition, and he kept refusing to go to the hospital when the EMT's were extracting him as though he was hiding something) and he was most definately speeding. He rear-ended me in the breakdown lane, it doesn't bode well for him even if he was sober. I'm just hoping that he is ok though. Cars can be replaced, people's health and well being can't.

Anyway, I've been meaning to get started re-doing the downstairs den now that we are buying the place. I wanted to get rid of the ratty futon and set up the television and workout tapes and weights down there and make it into a home gym. Looks like now's the time, huh? Just as soon as I stop feeling so banged up.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 1:29pm
OMG, I'm glad you're okay. What a horrible week! Please don't lose us just because you can't get to the gym. I'm sure fixing up the downstairs den will be a great workout in itself, just take it easy!

What kind of minivan do you have? I'm kind of hoping it's the same as mine and I have a good reason to get rid of it. I'm knocking on wood that the string of bad luck you've had lately is ending!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 8:39am
oh no! that's terrible, but i'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. i hope that was the last of your string of trouble -- you deserve some sunshine after all that rain! that home gym idea sounds like a good idea when you are feeling better.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 9:25am
Thank God you weren't hurt any worse than you were!! I know I will...

That's terrible about your van too, but if the manufacturer gets called on the carpet there may be something good that comes of this (good too if the guy who hit you gets nailed for DUI if that's the case).

I'm glad you're as okay as you are, there's no shame in working out at home instead of the gym! Every little bit counts...

Take care of you and your DH, at least while you don't have a vehicle you can't get in another accident! But oh how scary...

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 12:01pm
Dodge, Caravan. Don't get me wrong though. As mad as I am that the airbags didn't deploy and the seat was such a death trap (and there ARE suits pending against dodge for just that, many people have died because their seat belts didn't stop them from flying through the back of the van and hitting the other seats, breaking their necks when their seat back sheered off) I would have likely been MUCH worse off had I been in a smaller vehicle. There was a lot of metal between me and the things I impacted, that fact alone accounts for some of my luck.

It all goes back to what I learned in the first accident I was in, as a teen. (Three serious ones at this point that I've walked away from when others didn't.) Wear your seatbelt, wear it correctly. I always make sure mine is snug over my hip bones and flush across my chest, between my breasts, that is the primary thing that saved me from very serious harm the other day when the seat broke.

I've found a cause in this. Apparently there is no legislation at all that encourages or forces lawmakers to test their vehicles for being rear ended. Only front end crashes. Since there is an equal number of people being rear ended this needs to change. If people are dying in accidents from simple rear end collisions due to seat back failure, the seats need fixing. And if it takes lawsuits or legislation to wake up carmakers I'm perfectly willing to lead the crusade. I'll be writing my representatives and senators later on today. The insurance company is on the ball and will deal with any lawsuits if they determine they are needed. However, it would be a "because you should be more careful" type for publicity. I'm not hurt beyond some bruises and sore muscles, there would be no/very little cash asked for in it on my behalf, I'm don't think I deserve money for an accident where I was just a bit dinged.

~K~

~Kiervin~

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 2:23pm
Wearing seatbelts is so important. It's one of my (many) pet peeves that so many people run around scared about terrorist attacks and they can't be bothered to put on seat belts--something they can control. I get even more angry when I see children improperly restrained. Good luck on your campaign! It's a worthy cause.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 2:40pm
How awful. I'm relieved to hear you don't seem too seriously damaged. Apparently you got the vehicle meant for me (I'm short enough that airbags are actually considered a danger to me). Make sure you take it easy for a few days. Even if you weren't badly hurt you suffered mental & physical shock. A good workout might ease the mind, but could harm the body, so take a little break & make your first workout fairly easy to give your body a chance to 'sound off' if neccessary. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you & your husband (I hope he's improving).

Good (better?)luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 7:23pm
Thanks everyone! I did go to the doctor who ordered full sets of xrays because my shoulder took so much of the brunt of the second car hitting me. It is merely sprained and bruised. I've been put on "light duty" for a week or so. No workouts, lots of heat (knew the jacuzzi would come in handy) and some hefty narcotics. It is strange that I now feel worse than I did the night it happened. From what they've said I will for another couple of days then it will level off and fade away.

Thanks for the good wishes. We're trudging on. Sometimes these things slow us down and remind us what is important. Other than the accidents we really are on a roll in life. Graduation looms closer!

~K~

~Kiervin~

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 10:38am
I'm glad there wasn't anything broken. Wow, with both you and your husband out of comission, it's a good thing your children are a little older. I hope you have friends there who can lend a hand. Take care and keep us updated on both of you!