ARGH! The damn pill...

iVillage Member
ARGH! The damn pill...
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 8:06am
Up another 5lbs this week to 170! AGHHH!*nt

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 9:20am
this isn't good. did you say you were going to the doctor? what did she/he say?
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 9:36am
I am going to the general practictioner next week, I am calling my OBGYN right now!*nt
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 10:09am
Most definitely try to be seen right away. Something isn't right. Let us know, take care! Deb
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 10:15am
That happened to me while I was on the pill too. I'm not saying the pill caused the weight gain, but it definitely caused wild mood swings, mild depression, and lack of energy which all resulted in weight gain. Now that I'm on the ring, I'm not having nearly the trouble. 10 pounds came off without me changing my routine or diet. Check into the ring and see what your doctor says.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 10:19am
I have an apt. for the 29th in the morning to discuss my other options. I was thinking the ring, did it take you awhile to get adjusted to it? I have visited the birth control board where our very own judie rae is host and some have been able to feel the wires inside. Also I am going to ask about the patch...

Alana

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 10:28am
Wires??? There are no wires on the ring. The ring is just a plastic circle that you wear for 3 weeks and take out on the 4th week. I can't feel it and neither can my husband. If you don't have it inserted deep enough, you might feel it the way you would feel a tampon that isn't inserted deep enough. But I haven't had any problems with it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 10:31am
hey i never heard of that - i'm coming over to the birth control board to learn more!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 4:51pm
That's part of the reason I can't/won't use the Pill. I blow up like a balloon. I retain fluid as it is, but it's ridiculous when I take the Pill. Not to mention it causes my illness to flare up. I tried other options. The diaphragm won't stay in position because my uterus/cervix is tilted & the IUD was a nightmare (horrible cramps & bleeding w/ my period, sex could be painful, I could always feel it during sex & I had to have it surgically removed when the time came to take it out). Since I've had the same partner for 13 years I don't want/need to use condoms, soooo... just call Hubby 'Quick Draw McGraw'. ;-)

I've heard a properly fitted diaphragm in the right body is great & many women are perfectly happy w/ their IUDs. I used a sponge for a while just prior to planning my son. It was great, even though I had to leave it in for hours after (it has spermicide in it). However, it wasn't on the market when I needed contraception after my boy was born. It may be back now, I don't know. Also, there are many different versions of the Pill, varied types & amounts of hormones. So I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure there's good option out there for you.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 5:08pm
you can get the sponge up there in canada - us down here have to order it from y'all.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 5:26pm
An important note!! The sponge is about 85% effective, which is the standard effectiveness for spermicides used alone. Diaphragms and cervical caps are less effective for women who've had children, but for those who haven't, with absolutely correct use and perfect fit they can be as effective as condoms. You can purchase Protectaid (sponge) on the internet, but they're a tad expensive for regular use. The Today sponge is back in manufacturing but not on the US market yet for a while.

And my own two cents here, I've been using Nuvaring for five months and so far it's better than any pill I've taken on ALL fronts, and I've had some significant trouble with certain pills. I've gotten my vulvodynia in near-remission, I feel pretty darn normal, I don't have to futz with it, and for now my insurance company hasn't realized it's a contraceptive and is paying 80% on it! I can't say enough good things about it, but some women's anatomies aren't well-suited to the ring (it's a trial-and-error thing).

You're all welcome to come over to Birth Control to talk about it (or even just search for it, there's over 500 posts about it)!

And if Alana wants to try another pill, Yasmin might be a good next choice, it's got low incidence of water weight gain because the progestin is derived from a diuretic (it blocks the signals that the estrogen gives the kidneys telling them to hoard water). It's not a weight-loss pill as some people are saying, but it is a try-to-prevent-pill-induced-weight-gain pill.

Happy afternoon!

Judie

P.S. Here's the link: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhcontracept

Edited 4/17/2003 5:31:12 PM ET by judie_rae

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pages