Fun, Frivolous Foolish Friday Five

iVillage Member
Fun, Frivolous Foolish Friday Five
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 11:37am
Well, that alliteration taxed my brain! Some fun questions for the end of the week:

1) What is the most spontaneous, pricey item you've ever bought?

2) You try on a swimsuit for fun (does anyone really go that???) and it looks amazing, better than any suit you've ever worn. You're not in the market for a swimsuit and the price tag is $100. Do you buy it?

3) Have you ever taken a last minute, unplanned trip to a faraway destination?

4) You have a yogurt that is a couple of days past the use by date, do you eat it or throw it out?

5) You're visiting a foreign country and the locals rave about a restaurant. When you go there, it obviously would not pass any health codes. Do you eat there anyway?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 11:45am
1) What is the most spontaneous, pricey item you've ever bought? I once belonged to a gym that got bought-out and they were selling all of their equipment. I bought a digital, body fat analyzer and a bunch of weights.

2) You try on a swimsuit for fun (does anyone really do that???) and it looks amazing, better than any suit you've ever worn. You're not in the market for a swimsuit and the price tag is $100. Do you buy it? No, I never buy stuff that "isn't on the list." Okay, I put my grocery list in my PDA, what do you expect?

3) Have you ever taken a last minute, unplanned trip to a faraway destination? No, I never take unplanned trips anywhere. I'm the queen of planning!

4) You have a yogurt that is a couple of days past the use by date, do you eat it or throw it out? I'll eat it. DH says the stores put those "use by" dates on the containers so that you're forced to buy more, especially with milk. LOL!

5) You're visiting a foreign country and the locals rave about a restaurant. When you go there, it obviously would not pass any health codes. Do you eat there anyway? Nope, I always check restaurant sanitation scores, first thing! Monday, I made the clerk who was making my protein shake wash her hands because she picked something out of her teeth right before she started to make my shake!

Wow, I guess I'm not very spontaneous... and a bit neurotic. LOL

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 12:14pm

probably my geo metro convertible i used to have - i bought that fairly spontaneously (i hadn't previously considered getting a car until i spontaneously decided to buy a geo metro convertible as a second car, then i bought the first one i found) and it was around $2500 i think.

2) You try on a swimsuit for fun (does anyone really go that???) and it looks amazing, better than any suit you've ever worn. You're not in the market for a swimsuit and the price tag is $100. Do you buy it?

hard to say, probably only if i have a beach vacation or some other swimsuit wearing occasion coming up.

i don't remember ever doing that.

4) You have a yogurt that is a couple of days past the use by date, do you eat it or throw it out?

too hard to say, i don't like yogurt and whether i eat other foods past their date depends on the kind of food that it is and other factors.

5) You're visiting a foreign country and the locals rave about a restaurant. When you go there, it obviously would not pass any health codes. Do you eat there anyway?

i love how in california they have the restaurant's health code rating posted prominently at every restaurant! i probably would not eat at this place unless it was all vegetarian. also, it would depend on what kind of health code violations we are talking about. if it was bugs crawling all over the kitchen i wouldn't care too much. if the food was stored unwrapped near a dirty toilet, i'd be out of there.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 12:33pm
My Five:

A couch set from Scandinavian Design (remember that store?). It was in the window, I walked in and bought it.

This happened to me a long time ago. It was a great suit, mesh everywhere but the essential parts, really sexy (totally not me!). It was in a store a couple of hours away and I did't buy it then, but I went back a week later to get it. It was a great suit and I still have it, but two kids later, it just doesn't look good.:-(

I went to the Bahamas on a $199 last minute deal including airfare, hotel for 4 days. It was a great trip! Scary hotel room--broken sink, mouse, men across the street looking in (bars on the windows). But, it was probably one of the best trips I've ever taken.

I will but wouldn't let the kids eat it.

I agree w/ jen that it depends on what it is. I do go to some Chinatown places that are pretty scary, too, but where the food is great. I love that idea in LA where they have ratings posted in the windows (and that some restaurants are stealing others higher ratings!) but sometimes ignorance is bliss!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 1:59pm
my boyfriend and i ate in some pretty bad places when we were on our big road trip. it's amazing how low your standards sink when you've been driving all day with nothing to eat but one and a half bagels to share between the two of you and you arrive in some podunk town at 11 at night and the only place open to buy a hot meal is a really skeezy pizza place that appears to be more of a front for a two-bit drug ring than anything else. (among other things, the "pizza delivery guy" drove a brand new, top of the line model lexus - when have you ever seen that before?)
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 2:01pm
Sounds like the "ice cream truck" that drives through my sister-in-law's neighborhood at 1AM and its only customers are adults with missing teeth!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 2:14pm
Hrrmmmm...I live in an upper-middle class suburb and the Dominoes guy drives a Hummer.... Wonder what's up there!

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 2:17pm
Our newspaper delivery guy also drives a new, big SUV. What happened to kids on bikes?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 2:19pm
Ooooo....fun!

1) What is the most spontaneous, pricey item you've ever bought? I know I've bought something...besides a new bra at Vicky's two weeks ago...A vacation to St. Thomas?

2) You try on a swimsuit for fun (does anyone really go that???) and it looks amazing, better than any suit you've ever worn. You're not in the market for a swimsuit and the price tag is $100. Do you buy it? No way man! I don't do extravagance real well, and while I'll spend money on a Speedo that I'm going to get some miles out of, not for a frivolous-to-die-for-I-finally-look-like-a-swimsuit-model suit when I'm landlocked! Wait a minute....

3) Have you ever taken a last minute, unplanned trip to a faraway destination? Nope! I'm the uber-planner.

4) You have a yogurt that is a couple of days past the use by date, do you eat it or throw it out? A day or two, sure, if it smells okay. If it's more than 2 days, fuhgeddaboutit!

5) You're visiting a foreign country and the locals rave about a restaurant. When you go there, it obviously would not pass any health codes. Do you eat there anyway? NO WAY. In this country, maybe, but certainly not a foreign country. Yes, Mexicans can drink their water, but I can't when I'm in Mexico and I'd wonder if the same didn't hold true for some of the local eats too...

An adventurer, I'm not! ;)

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 3:28pm
Great Questions!!!!

++++++I have a stunning wedding ring, which is my all-time favorite piece of jewelry. Other than that ring, I'm not a jewelry hound. I love hippie-ish stuff so...no pricey stuff there-love neckaces and bracelets.

Cars...I hate dealing with that so hubby goes and buys them. Oh wait, I did spend some dinero yesterday on a spontaneous purchase. Does practical count? Bought myself a top of the line (in my slim budget) all in one fax, scanner, photo printer, copier machine so I can continue to build my own home office :o). Not too exciting to most folks but I can't wait to give this thing a whirl.

+++++$100 isn't outrageous for a great fitting suit. But I just went through my cascual clothes stuff today and found I've bought five bathing suits since the end of season last year (after I lost all my weight). No new suits for me for some time!

+++++Never. One of my passions is vacations/travel. And my most fun part is planning it out in detail, researching, asking around for info/tips, anticipating. Not to say if hubby came home and said hey we're going to the Caribbean (on business hopefully $0 LOL) I'd say no! It would be a big fat yes.

+++++My hubby always asks, so how do you tell if that stuff has really gone bad? I love yogurt. I noticed that I ate some old yogurt this week, two days past the exp date and I'm still here.

++++No way. I'm very picky and it has to be really clean. Not to say that after a night of dancing (and margaritas) in Cabo San Lucas that I haven't stopped by one of those great fish taco places for a quick snack :o).

Deb

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 12:28pm
You visited Maine I see! LOL, there is a chain of pizza places in Maine that I swear are a front for the Mafia. Brand new high priced cars, guys with 15 pounds of gold and beautiful women with nothing to do but shop via cell phone in catalogs... yep, I know the place!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

Pages