Low reps or high?

iVillage Member
Low reps or high?
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 11:46am
I want to lose weight and tone up.

When I took the Getting Started program, the instructor told me I was doing too many reps. He said to increse the weight and reduce the reps. Yesterday I needed a new record sheet, and the staff person that I asked looked over what I had been doing on my previous sheet and suggested I was doing too few reps. He said to increase my reps or lower my weights.

As an example, before the Getting Started program I was doing 30 reps, 3 times at 150 lbs on the Leg Press. The instructor suggested that I increase to 160 lbs, and lower my reps to 10 - 3 times.

Now the staff person the other day says increase to 15 reps, or lower to 150 - that I will bulk up if I continue doing it the way I have been.

Who's right???

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 11:54am
I see why you're confused... In GENERAL, you want to lift enough weight so that you can do 10-15 reps 3 times. By the time you get to your 3rd set, it should be kind of tough to lift the last 2 or 3 reps. Make sure you're working hard enough. If you can do 30 reps, your trainer is right. You aren't lifting enough. But, if you can't do more than 8 reps, you're lifting too much.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 12:55am
I agree w/ millcreek. Doing 30 reps will tone the muscle you already have but you won't build more which will help you lose fat. How do you feel when you do 160 pounds and 10 reps/3 sets? You should feel tired by the end, like you can't do any more. If you can do 15, then you should move up. I wouldn't go back to the 150 because you can already lift too much for that.

It doesn't have to be all of one either. You can also do a mix (as if you weren't confused enough) and do 150 pounds for 15, 155 for 12 and then 160 for 10. It's called pyramiding, but it might be adding more than you want to your program right now. Don't worry about getting bulky, because few women can. If you find yourself getting bigger than you want, you can always cut back.

Hope that didn't confuse the matter more. If it did, please let me know.