Snow and Sun Weekend

iVillage Member
Snow and Sun Weekend
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 1:23am
I had such a fun weekend! I love being in this area. I went skiing all day on Saturday with a friend. It was great! Warm, sunny, beautiful. My friend is an amazing skier--she's skied all her life, used to race and do ski patrol and I'm high intermediate, at best. She goes down the entire run w/out stopping, at my top speed, so I just tried to keep up with her and got a great workout as a result. About 2:00, I couldn't figure out why I was tired until I realized I'd been skiing at, pretty much, my top speed all day. Well, my top speed for the most part...I did some black diamonds and was feeling proud of myself until she took me down a REALLY steep black diamond w/ big moguls. Ugh, and they were below the lifts so everyone could watch. It was the shortest run (when you go straight down the mountain, it's the shortest route!) and took forever. The day went by too quickly, except that one run...even the three hour drive didn't seem long. I have a sunburn on weird strips of my face, though. I can tell where I missed on sunscreen, the biggest part being the eyelids. When I wear goggles, they pretty much block everything, but with sunglasses, the sun shines straight down into them.

Today, we went to the boardwalk at Santa Cruz. It was really fun for the kids, just running around the beach. I was thinking about how much I'll miss the area when we move. Where else can you go skiing one day and to the beach the next?

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special for Easter?

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 9:04am
that sounds awesome...yeah you live in a great part of the country. everyone agrees, that's why the cost of living is so high, i guess!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 10:47am
I agree, that does sound great! I'm so jealous of people who can exercise outside all year (or almost all year), and you've got great hiking by you too! What a lovely weekend....

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:54am
It sounds like a lovely weekend. I'm glad that you got to go and enjoy yourself! ~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 9:16am

Sounds fantastic! I'm so jealous of all the outdoorsy activities you're able to do. Where exactly do you live? I've been guessing Orgeon but now I think you're in CA.

I had a great weekend! The drive to Sarajevo was a bit of a nightmare -- 5 people and LOTS of luggage in a VW Passat for 12 hours, most of them on winding mountain roads in the middle of the night... with only one driver. We left at 4 pm and arrived in Sarajevo at 4 am. But we played lots of games in the car and had a great time. Sarajevo was absolutely gorgeous, great weather, great shopping, and we just walked ourselves into the ground. We even managed to go swimming at one of the hotels that has a really nice pool (no pools in Kosovo so this was a huge treat). It was just so nice to be in such a clean city -- no garbage, no mud, no smog -- that we spent as much time as possible walking around. We actually hired a taxi ($75 each) to drive us back to Kosovo -- it seemed extravagent but given the option of a 12 hour overnight bus for $30, it was a no-brainer. And it paid off! Only eight and a half hours back.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend and managed to exercise self-control around all of those goodies!

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 12:53pm
Sounds like a great trip! It must be amazing to see all the history in that area, and to see all the places that have been in the news in the past few years. What happened to the VW that you drove there? Your fares must have made the cabbies day!

I live in the Bay area in Ca, but we'll be moving this summer so I'm enjoying it while I can.