QOTW: What did you indulge in yesterday?

iVillage Member
QOTW: What did you indulge in yesterday?
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 8:02am
I had one slice of ham, one small piece of kilbasa, matza, green beans, one small slice of lemon merigne (sp) pie one bit of chocolate (before my dog licked it) and a handful of jelly beans.

I think I faired well.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 9:35am
i did well yesterday, i didn't eat any of the peanut butter chocolate eggs that bf's mom makes every year. they are really good, like homemade reese's peanut butter cups but way richer and creamier. i knew if i even took a bite of one, it wouldn't stop there, so i just didn't even try any at all.

for easter dinner i had one small slice of tofurky, one "drumstick" (which is essentially a grain-style veggie burger), mashed potatos, veg. gravy, two helpings of green beans, baked sweet potatos, and a small piece (1" x 2.5") of apple cake.

earlier in the day i had a GREAT lunch!! i was so hungry because i hadn't eaten anything that day even though i went to an hour and 20 min long class and then went for a walk with my friend and my dog. so that might have contributed to how good it tasted. it was pan fried spinach tofu cakes, served over brown rice, with raspberry soy sauce, chunks of mango, baby greens, green beans, and sweet potato. (boy, i had a lot of sweet potato, green beans, and soy yesterday!) oh, and a fresh tomato/celery/carrot juice. it was from this restaurant three blocks from my house and now it's my new favorite restaurant!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 10:40am
Moderation? On Easter? lol... I ate too much and went to bed with a bellyache, but loved every minute of it!

We spent the day with SO's family, after church was fresh fruit, juice, coffee, hard-boiled eggs, and babka (slightly sweet bread with raisins, orange and lemon zest, and almonds, I was up until 1:30 Sunday morning baking the breads!). I only ate about 4 chocolate eggs out of my Easter basket (now that's progress), my ever-thinking SO loaded the top of the basket with microwave popcorn so it's not all junk!

Dinner was the traditional ham, mashed potatoes, fried sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, a great salad, brown bread, herbed French bread, assorted jello salads, and dessert was pound cake and chocolate mousse. And too much wine and too much coffee! But it was an awesome day and I don't regret any of it.

Hope everyone else had a good holiday!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:31am
Um...everything? Some Hershey miniatures--have no idea how many because those things are just bite sized and too easy to eat. We were at the boardwalk in Santa Cruz and got there in time for lunch. I bought corn dogs and fries for the kids, my husband got a fried seafood platter and funnel cake. I looked at all that fried food and didn'want to eat a whole meal of it so I got a chicken gyro. Then, the kids finished up w/ cotton candy, a churros, and a chocolate dipped ice cream cone. For dinner, we got sushi because I didn't plan ahead. I'm not crazy about raw fish ones, though I will eat them. The place we go to has really fun combinations like ones with cooked shrimp and avocado, tempura, cooked salmon, etc. I don't think I ate anything really healthy yesterday!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 12:01pm
Moderation? Not at the movies! I took my son to see a flick while hubby slept off his pain-killers and daughter played with her friends. We gorged ourselves on popcorn and soda and a couple of handfuls of chocolates that I smuggled in, in my purse.

We have been so out of wack and drugged around here (have I mentioned the drugs?) that neither of us even remembered that we needed to pick up stuff for a big dinner until it was too late. We had a veggie bake dish for dinner and went to bed by about 7:00. I did get in a few pages of Harry Potter before the kids both crashed, I was right behind them.

No exercise, though I'm now chomping at the bit to get to a gym, alas it isn't happening without a car though. I'm starting on the den today, It is time to claim the room and make it over. I just need a strong partner to help me move the fish tank and the futon, hoping to sucker my neighbor into helping later!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 6:22pm
Menu came from Cooking Light--to save calories. Which would've worked had we not had extra helpings. Our meal turned out absolutely delicious.

Fire and Spice Ham

Field Greens with Red Grapes Snow Peas and Gorgonzola--fresh OJ dressing

Fresh Spinach and Leek Frittata

Strawberry Cream Tart

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 8:55am
Oh dear... lots of fattening Bosnian food. But so yummy! And at least I didn't really have much in the way of candy or sweets.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 8:58am
how was sarajevo, did you go? (nt)
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 12:48pm
What is Bosnian food like? (nt)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 1:40pm
Bosnian food is very homey and satisfying: lots of grilled meats (lamb is big), yogurt sauces, etc. We had really good burek, which is like phyllo pastry with filling (in Kosovo, the choices are meat or cheese, but in Sarajevo we found spinach, which was like spanikopita). Some friends took us out for a traditional meal on Sunday night: homemade sheep's milk yogurt (so good!) and a mixed dish with stuffed vegetables (vine leaves, peppers, onions), and a kind of lamb and okra stew. Yummy bread. All very low fat... NOT.

I also pigged out at the only Lebanese restaurant in the Balkans, but I actually used restraint and didn't order an entree, tried to fill up on tabouleh.

Sarajevo is such a beautiful city, amazing blend of East-meets-West architecture and cultural life. Mosques, synagogues, Orthodox and Catholic churches, an old Turkish bazaar... you could feel the layers of history. Nice parks, beautiful old stone streets, amazing Austrian and Turkish architecture. It's appalling that such a beautiful city was under siege for 4 years -- in the middle of Europe! In the 20th century! -- and the world did nothing to stop it. If you ever get a chance to go, I highly recommend it. The countryside is also supposed to be beautiful, but we only saw it by car.

The VW made it through, but it was being driven by a friend on his way to Croatia, so we had to fend for ourselves for the return trip -- hence the taxi! I took some great photos on my digital camera -- too bad I'm such an Internet ignoramus that I wouldn't know the first thing about posting them on a website.

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 12:39am
That sounds like Greek and Albanian food. It must be amazing to be there. Keep us updated on what you're up to. I love traveling and haven't been able to do it in a long time. Thanks!