My SO's WWGRD moment....

iVillage Member
My SO's WWGRD moment....
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 10:45am
We were on our big bike ride Saturday (the big ride of the week is on weekends), and we were on mile 19 of a projected 30 and he got stung by a bee! He used to be allergic, but I guess he's grown out of it, thank God. We stopped, looked at it, ran cold water from our bottles over it (it was on his knee), and I asked him if he wanted to go home or keep riding. What'd he say? Let's keep riding! So we finished our 30 miles and dashed into our garage about 30 seconds after it started raining (and it rained on and off all the rest of the day). It was a great ride, no sit-bone or pelvic pain (thank God for chamois shorts!!), and we followed it with tacos and fruit smoothies and spent the rest of the afternoon tent-shopping.

I was so proud of him!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:32am
Sounds like a good day, except the bee sting. Good thing he outgrew that allergy--they can be dangerous!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 12:04pm
That is brave. My only bee sting was on my knee, it was miserable!

I think I joined after this was discussed, but are you training for a race or some special long-distance ride? Or is biking something that you've found recently that you enjoy? It seems I heard mention that you were training for something specific, but I don't remember or know what it was.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 2:52pm
You're not so far off! I'm doing a 6-day ride with my dad that's somewhere between 350 and 400 miles in June. I'm doing a training program designed for a 100-mile one-day ride, since I can't find anything appropriate for the 6-day ride, my dad says that all that's important is getting my butt used to the seat. He has every confidence that the distance won't be a problem, but bone pain could be, so he's been asking me pretty regularly about my bike time. 72 miles last week, probably won't get as many in this week with yesterday's holiday and SO's birthday on Wednesday, this week is looking like 60-75 miles (Saturday 34) depending on whether I ride Friday or not.

So yes, this is special training! I'm enjoying it as something that my SO and I can do together, but I'm missing the variety a little bit. No matter, I've got a goal and my dad is REALLY excited about me going with him this year (he's been doing these rides for about 25 years)!

Thanks for your interest! :)

Judie

P.S. Look at the valedictorian thing this way--you'll be able to enjoy your graduation without the stress of public speaking! Unless you like public speaking.... (I hate public speaking) You still did great!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 2:56pm
The funny thing is that we were riding in a forest preserve that is across the road from a hospital! It would have taken us too long to ride over there and I didn't have my phone with me, but we could have flagged someone down if we'd needed to. Still...I didn't know he used to be allergic to beestings until Saturday, and that's really something I should have known, given our outdoor adventures, isn't it? Then again, let's ask him what my (severe) drug allergies are, shall we? lol...there is a reason I wear a medallion and have a sticker on my driver's license, I know he doesn't remember!

It _was_ a great ride!

Judie