Gyms in airports?

iVillage Member
Gyms in airports?
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 12:11pm
Since we spend so much time in airports especially now, why isn't there more to do there? I was telling my husband, they could easily have gyms or even a skating rink or something to do since you have to be there so long. He laughed and said that would be MY ideal place. But, I was there for two hours before my flight and the last thing I want to do is sit for two hours before a 6 hour flight. I ended up walking the concourse (I had an 8 am flight yesterday that was cancelled so I had to wait for a 12 flight and I couldn't sit that long and follow it up with a long flight). I was afraid I would get pulled over for suspicious pacing! I think it would be great to have a discovery zone type place for kids to run off their energy before a flight, too. Well, after my flight, here are some related questions:

1) What do you wear on airplanes?

2) What do you do for the time before the flight and the layovers?

3) Would you use a gym if you had enough time?

4) Do you order special meals?

5) What do you get to drink?

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 12:29pm

I usually wear comfortable clothes. Jeans and a cotton top and a sweater, just in case the plane is cold.

I read a book.

I don't think I would like to get all sweaty before boarding a plane.

Nope

Usually apple juice.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 1:50pm
i've heard a lot of airports do have gyms now. i remember reading a magazine article rating which airports had the best gyms. i'll tell you one thing, san francisco airport has the best food.

1) What do you wear on airplanes? depends where i'm going and why. but layers are always important, i freeze on airplanes. usually, i try to look good on the way there, but on the way home i end up wearing leggings and a tank top with a built in bra - the utmost in comfort!

2) What do you do for the time before the flight and the layovers? lately there isn't much time, by the time you get through security and find your way thru the airport. if i have any extra time, i'm usually looking for food or soy lattes.

3) Would you use a gym if you had enough time? probably not.

4) Do you order special meals? yes, i try to get vegan meals but some airlines have better special meals than other.

5) What do you get to drink? tomato juice or v8, club soda, water

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 3:37pm
My plane answers:

I wore yoga pants, long sleeve t-shirt over a short sleeve one and a sweater. It came up because my mom hated what I was wearing and thought I should dress up. I always dress for comfort, especially on long flights.

I walked the concourse and read some.

If I had enough time to shower, I would.

I usually get the fruit platter to be safe (I think it's lacto-ovo vegetarian meal).

Water

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:50am

*** Something stylish but definitely comfortable. Shoes that slip on and off easily.

*** Find a TV with a good basketball or football game on

*** I hope I never have that much time between flights. If I did, I probably wouldn't workout because I wouldn't want to carry a gym bag in addition to my regular carry-on. I would also worry about the security of my bags. I'd pass on that.

*** No, I usually pack my own snacks

*** I usually drink water