Ch-ch-ch-changes...

iVillage Member
Ch-ch-ch-changes...
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 1:31am
Time may change me, but I can't trace time...

Okay, I confess that I had to look up those lyrics and that I got the idea for these questions when I was lurking on other boards (I'd give credit, but I can't remember where I was). How have you changed since you've started working out:

1) Has your body changed, physically?

2) Has your attitude changed/have you changed emotionally?

3) Did you ease into working out or did you jump in?

4) Have you achieved what you hoped when you started? I don't mean the goals we continue to set, but the original goal when you first started, if you had any.

5) Can you do anything now that you never thought you would be able to do?

6) Is there anything you used to do that you wouldn't do now (let's keep this to healthy living ;-), physically or emotionally)?

7) Do you see your working out changing as you get older?

Ooh, I think these might be hard questions. Well, as usual, answer what you want, add what you want, etc.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 8:45am
Tough questions, but I'm going for the easy answers/

1) Has your body changed, physically? Very much so.

As a dancer I was very thin w/ a small weak upper body & massively muscular legs, after my son I packed on a goodly amount of fat while losing alot of my muscularity, now I'm lean, not thin, w/ a defined, well balanced physique. Quite frankly the best body of my life. :-)

I change/evolve emotionally, mentally spiritually daily, so yes.

I jumped right in after having my son. I was never athletic, despite my previous career, but when I do something I'm an all or nothing kind of gal.

4) Have you achieved what you hoped when you started? I don't mean the goals we continue to set, but the original goal when you first started, if you had any.

I don't really have specific, qualitative goals. I simply want to live a long, active, fulfilling life & caring for my body is crucial to that.

Too many things to list.

6) Is there anything you used to do that you wouldn't do now (let's keep this to healthy living ;-), physically or emotionally)?

Once again, too many things to list.

Yes. My routine evolves w/ my needs & knowledge. I started out doing nothing but cardio, then added light weights, then reduced the cardio & upped the weights. My yoga practice (which I've been doing for decades) has evolved more into meditation & my back requires more stability work than ever. As I age & have to fight muscle loss & the progress of my illness I see things continuing to change, but how I'm not really sure yet.

Good questions, Jean.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 9:06am
I hearby declare the above the offical QOTW since mine sucked ass... BUT JEAN you still have to sign your posts "cl-jean1" so she can track out posts.

More toned, leaner, sexier ;)

I get happier when I work out other than that none.

I always have been active, dance, colorguard and such.

Yes, lose 20 lbs. although it is creeping back from the pill... losing that now too

Run for more than 3 minutes (I am all slow twich or whatever that shorter bulkier one is)

NO, still drink and smoke occasionally... don't knock it.

I can't not classify this, because I am still the baby here!!!

cl-alanagreenberg

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 9:38am
LOVE david bowie. i'm going to answer these questions as of the last time i started working out after a lapse, not the first time i ever started working out...

1) Has your body changed, physically? OH yeah.

2) Has your attitude changed/have you changed emotionally? yes, i'm happier and more confident physically.

3) Did you ease into working out or did you jump in? jump in

4) Have you achieved what you hoped when you started? I don't mean the goals we continue to set, but the original goal when you first started, if you had any. i didn't really have a goal other than to fit into my skinny clothes, and i do fit into them, so i guess yeah i acheived my original goal.

5) Can you do anything now that you never thought you would be able to do? well, i'm still not sure i can do it, but teach aerobics?

6) Is there anything you used to do that you wouldn't do now (let's keep this to healthy living ;-), physically or emotionally)? there's a lot of things i wouldn't eat anymore that i used to eat - i used to eat a lot of junk. not that i was a big drinker before, but i basically don't drink alcohol at all anymore.

7) Do you see your working out changing as you get older? i haven't thought about it, but i'm sure it will. life is change!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 9:52am
Has your body changed, physically?

Absolutely - more fit cardiovascularly, aerobically and muscularly. More able to do what I want to do.

2) Has your attitude changed/have you changed emotionally? Absolutely - the more "potential" that exists the more you attempt, the more you attempt the more you change your self-perception and self-image.

3) Did you ease into working out or did you jump in? Jumped right in while in the pit of emotional dysfunctionality.

I came to find the approval of other people....and I found instead acceptance of self. I got more than I came for.

Absolutely, run marathons, do traithlons, be a national kayaking champion, do ultra marathon canoeing, do adventure races - and most importantly I changed my perception of the world from a place where I was constantly threatened and fearful - to a place where I love the challenges and take them on responsibly and successfully.

6) Is there anything you used to do that you wouldn't do now (let's keep this to healthy living ;-), physically or emotionally)? Physically - drink and do drugs, have an anorexic/bulemic lifestyle and body. Emotionally - beat myself up and continue with the "you're the most inferior, inadequate, unworthy person I know and here I'll prove it to you by not letting you succeed." That was my modus operandi from 17 to 33.

7) Do you see your working out changing as you get older? Absolutely - I ddin't start till I was 33 and I'm only 40 now!

Erin

quickblade14@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:49am
You've accomplished so much. The best/most important change is self-confidence. With all you've managed to do, I can't imagine there being anything where you didn't have the confidence to know you can do it if you put your mind to it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:56am

I had just come back from a year abroad where I put on a lot of weight. It came off and I've been pretty toned ever since where before I even put on the weight, I was not.

I've run the gamut in all the years I've worked out. For a few years there, I never had it diagnosed, but I probably had that exercise anorexia where I HAD to work out. My day was planned around it. Now, I have a good balance.

Jumped in

I didn't have any original goals. I started as a social thing with friends and over a few months, people would compliment me on what I looked like. I never weighed myself so I don't know what I lost or anything. It's a good way to start--low expectations!

Anything athletic. Though I did some sports, I never thought of myself as athletic. But now I know I'm strong enough to do most things I want.

eat whatever I want, when I want!

No--it might, but I feel as strong now as I did a decade ago. I don't do anything outrageous, though. I think my workout is easily done by someone older. Oh...I'm hoping I can keep skating and skiing, too. I don't know if my body can take the constant pounding of falling as I get older.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:41am
The bottom line thing sports gave me was self-esteem. I was without a doubt the most inferior, inadequate, incapable, unworthy and inept person I'd ever met at 33. My perception of me changed by putting my back against the wall with the only option for out being "something that didn't count" - paddling a canoe. For a few years I paddled upstream mentally and emotionally - as well as physically quite often. In paddling upstream trying to 'get back to where I thought I should be to start over' -I gained the insight, awareness and acceptance to turn that canoe around where I was and with the strength and skill and ability developed by paddling upstream....I took off downriver at an all-out race pace.

"Self esteem and self confidence are separate issues. The self-esteem earned when setting my goals and pursuing them diligently, responsibly and pro-actively in training is the investment in me that has provided self-esteem. That took me out of comparison with others and allowed me to be my unique and original self and seek perfection within that endeavor. The approval, acceptance and appaluse of others took me by surprise but the self-confidence gained from it has allowed me to pursue higher aspirations and goals. Both are imperative to long term success on a personal level and in public venues."

Erin

quickblade14@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 1:46pm
1) Has your body changed, physically? I started working out regularly about 7-8 years ago, so over that period of time my body has changed, some for the better, some for the not-so-good.

2) Has your attitude changed/have you changed emotionally? I suppose it has, if nothing else my horizons have been broadened!

3) Did you ease into working out or did you jump in? I eased in at first, but once I got the hang of it and hooked on it, there hasn't been much easing except for after injuries.

4) Have you achieved what you hoped when you started? I don't mean the goals we continue to set, but the original goal when you first started, if you had any. My original goal was probably to get rid of the fat on my legs--sorry! I think, if my sisters, mom, and aunts are any gauge, that's not something I can fully accomplish without surgery (no thanks!), but I'm satisfied with what I've achieved at my high points.

5) Can you do anything now that you never thought you would be able to do? I can hike farther than I ever imagined with a 50 pound pack, and I learned how to swim about a year and a half ago.

6) Is there anything you used to do that you wouldn't do now (let's keep this to healthy living ;-), physically or emotionally)? I don't make so many excuses to not go work out, I just modify the workout to suit the day.

7) Do you see your working out changing as you get older? I think it will have to. I'm not going to be able to run on concrete my whole life, I'm not going to have "unlimited" gym time when I actually have a family to take care of, and I'd assume that I'll need to be more careful about not getting hurt than I am now.

Jean, these weren't so hard! :)

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 2:01pm
1) Has your body changed, physically?*** We're getting there... I can fit comfortably into cloths I couldn't 2 months ago! :)

2) Has your attitude changed/have you changed emotionally?*** Heck yeah! It has a little to do with Spring too, but I can sleep better, I feel better getting dressed in the morning, and I have less days where I feel blue... in fact, I'm hardly blue anymore...

3) Did you ease into working out or did you jump in?*** I eased in for about 2 weeks, then I jumped rightin! :)

4) Have you achieved what you hoped when you started? I don't mean the goals we continue to set, but the original goal when you first started, if you had any.*** I just had hopes of staying consistent, and yes I have maintained that consistency!

5) Can you do anything now that you never thought you would be able to do? The huge rotator stiar climber for 20 minutes and consistently upping my weights!

6) Is there anything you used to do that you wouldn't do now (let's keep this to healthy living ;-), physically or emotionally)? Give up when were a little too heavy, now I push it for as many reps as I can!

7) Do you see your working out changing as you get older? yeah, hopefully improving, I still feel young in my 'workout career' 28...

Ooh, I think these might be hard questions. Well, as usual, answer what you want, add what you want, etc.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 4:04pm
Very inspiring post, Erin. n/t
Soleilune

Pages