Fantastic Hiking Trip!!!!

iVillage Member
Fantastic Hiking Trip!!!!
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 9:53am

Hi Everyone! Have been on an extensive hiking trip the last 10 days (with a few days in Vegas, hey a girl has to have some excitement). The best part about coming home is going back on plan and pulling out that Weight Watcher's journal.

I walked miles and miles on this trip and did some wild hiking that was very challenging. NONE of it could've been done in my former Deb-shape. We did an eleven (11) mile hike marked very strenuous down the Grand Canyon to Plateau Point. 3000 elevation drop (and gain of course back up) and to my eye, appeared to go straight down the canyon. My legs are in awesome shape from Jazzercise and despite the elevation change and what that does to your breathing YIKES, we did this hike in six hours and change, the sign said to allow 9-12 hours!!

In Sedona we further challenged ourselves with a hike that included rock climbing. Rock climbing is something on my fitness schedule this year and I found a guide from REI through my auction procuring that offered to teach me. The hike we did said you needed technical rock climbing experience...and again it was rated very difficult, and we managed to do it. Pulling up your body weight, balancing, and using your upper body strength is a kick.

AGAIN--this is something I know I couldn't have done pre Weight Watchers or when I was carrying all my extra body fat.

Being at a healthy weight and fit is the best feeling ever.

I'll be posting pics to my website soon, Sedona and the Grand Canyon was just beautiful.

Deb

http://pages.ivillage.com/debra_wa/id5.html

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:01am
I love that area! I had a pretty strenous vacation in the 4 corners in '92... a vacation I like to call "from hell" because my dad instisted on covering as much land area as possible... all in one week we hit red rocks, grand canyon, four corners, grand tetons, natural springs, yellowstone... just to name a few. Great for you and your hubby for that time setting hike! I'd love to go back there with Mike, he'd sure love it too! Pictures just don't do it justice.

I will never forgot that vacation, most of all white water rafting on the Snake River. I was just 12 and not strong enough to paddle so they put in me up front and center, each time we hit a strong rapid I fell backwards. There was a time release photo taken where you see my feet then nothing then my head poking up its sooo funny!

I think I need to do some vacation planning for the fall, don't know when I can get out there but I'd love it!

thanks for sharing!

cl-alanagreenberg

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:31am
sounds great! glad you had such a great trip! and i'm impressed about that grand canyon hike you did - when i was there, a two mile hike kicked my butt - it's the altitude that makes it super hard! that was before i started working out, so hopefully i could do a little better now.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:38am
Welcome back! I was wondering if you had disappeared. That sounds like a great trip--and lots of fun work. That's an amazing climb--go deb! How did you like rock climbing? I thought it was harder than it looks, and I'm sure it's really tough outdoors where you don't have man-made holds marked for you.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:18am
Alana...we're headed to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone the 2nd week in September. Neither Eric or I have ever been so I may post some questions to you! We figured we need about two weeks to do it justice, I hope he can get that much time off. I bought some Frommer's travel books for those National Parks but word of mouth and talking to people who have been there is much more effective. We'll be much more prepared next time since we'll have the car, more room for hiking poles, boots, back packs, etc!

Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:21am
The altitude and elevation change really had an effect on us. I couldn't believe the strain I felt going back up. The ranger told us the hike would be a killer on our knees going down, and a killer on our lungs going up. He was right. Remember my knee I injured running back in January? Strangest thing--stopped running and it could better the last few months, going down that hike I was in a lot of pain on that knee, going up I was limping.

Today? It's fine! I know I need to see the doc but I'm so happy it's better.

Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:24am
I had some fear with the rock climbing, but I told myself not to look down when I was going up, and when going down just look down a little bit. The guy scared me with the vertigo question. He said people start that hike and climb and kind of freeze if they're novices or have issues. My hubby kept saying to me how strong I am and to have faith in myself as we ascended, that really helped! And of course you can't call the elevator to get down :o).

Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:26am
it's amazing what a change 3000 feet of altitude makes! i can't even imagine what it's like to try to even walk 20 feet at 29,000 ft! (can you tell i've already started following the everest attempts this year?!)

the thing that's kinda crazy about the altitude at the grand canyon is that if you are not near the rim, you are on pretty flat ground with flat ground as far as the eye can see, and my east coast mind sees flat ground and thinks "sea level." then when you get winded on a two mile hike, you realize, yeah the ground is flat but the altitude is the same as being on the top of a 3000 ft mountain!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:34am
I have terrible altitude sickness. When I was working out a lot, I went hiking with friends in Oregon. I thought that I'd be able to do it easily, but I quickly pooped out and felt clammy and nauseous. That altitude really hits you!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 2:06pm
What a great trip!! We went to the Grand Canyon and Sedona in 1998 (or sometime around there), and we've planned to go back when we can actually do some hiking in the canyon. When we went we were with his best friend and his wife, who had ACL surgery scheduled for the following weekend, so there wasn't much below-the-rim hiking! And Sedona is just gorgeous at sunset...... Good for you learning to rock-climb! I haven't gotten to that point yet, I'm still afraid of bridge-climbing! lol...

Glad to have you back!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 4:15pm
I LOVE SEDONA!!!!!!! My husband and I honeymooned there 2 years ago this week and I miss it and wish we could go back right this second. The altitude really is a funny thing, I didn't think 3-6 thousand feet would be that bad, but it really messed with us. After a 100 degree drive in a convertible from tha Phoenix airport, to Sedona all we wanted to do was sleep in the ac Inn... our stomachs were funny all week, luckily we sucked it up and had the best honeymoon we could have dreamed of!!!!!!!!!

Pages