Thursday Threesome!

iVillage Member
Thursday Threesome!
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 9:42am
What got you upset (a little room to rant here) recently at the gym?

What did you accomplish that made you smile?

What did you see that impressed you (other performance, curtious gym rats, cleanliness, helpfulness of staff)?

cl-alanagreenberg

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 9:46am

>>>When I got to the gym this morning, all the spin bikes were taken and I had signed up! On top of that no one admitted to NOT being on the list... I sucked it up and lifted.

>>>>Catching for 4 inings on Tuesday and still being able to walk!

What did you see that impressed you (other performance, curtious gym rats, cleanliness, helpfulness of staff)?

>>>>The woman behind the desk signed me up for a spinning class that gets filled for SATURDAY!! and she gave me a free towel to use after my shower. Amanda is my new best friend there

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 10:40am

****The number of cell phone users!!! How can you work out and chat at the same time on a cell phone???

****The number of push ups I did on a ball.

****The personal trainers are really approachable.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 1:05pm
What got you upset (a little room to rant here) recently at the gym?***For the most part I love our gym... it is a place where I associate a happy space in my life with, and where I've learned a lot about myself in the past several years... BUT ( here comes the deluge!) recently there is a woman who doesn't understand the concept of polite, light qym conversation. I work out 5 days a week with my husband. We have a ton of fun and feed off eachother greatly when we workout. We are eachother's greatest motivators. This woman thinks it is appropriate/funny to say things like "You go girl, picture you're kicking your husband in the ass that bastard" when I'm trying to concentrate on lifting and HE'S STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!! It ruins my concentration, not to mention he and I DO NOT subscribe to that kind of humor, nor do we think that way. He is my best friend and we really cherish eachother even after 10 years of our relationship! Any suggestions other than both of us wearing headphones? Then we can't interact and I don't think that's fair!!! Gosh, that felt good!!! Sorry for the swearing...

What did you accomplish that made you smile?*** Recently? Subbed for a Spinning class I usually take, and they left sweating, telling me they thought it was a great class! In the past 3 years? Ran a complete marathon (26.2 miles)... ok, ran/walked :)

What did you see that impressed you (other performance, curtious gym rats, cleanliness, helpfulness of staff)?*** This one woman I've become friendly with really pushing her routine... walking lunges across the gym floor. I saw her doing it with her trainer one week and then on her own the next! I don't know if I'd have the guts (silly I know) to do that across the gym (I'd porobably hide in the aerobics room) so I was impressed and inspired to push... maybe I'll try them next week. I told her too that she was doing and awesome job and I think that made her day!!! :) These were great questions... thanks!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 1:29pm
what about the next time she says something like that, let her know in a humorous but clear way that your relationship isn't like that and that isn't your sense of humor...how you do that depends on your personality, but i'd probably turn to my bf and grab his butt and say something like "i'd much rather grab his sexy a$$ than kick it! i'll have to think of someone else to take my frustrations out on while i'm lifting because i have no complaints about this great guy. but come to think of it i wouldn't mind taking a kick at that woman who cut me off on the way to work this morning!"
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 2:24pm
don't even get me going on people who don't wipe down machines after using them. grrrr

my gym was recently taken over by a big chain of gyms and the personal service and attention has gone down the drain. now there are a bunch of 20 something, never had kids, never been overweight, instructors bouncing around changing all of the classes. i guess i don't do well with change, but i am trying to look at the bright side ie; new equipment, new classes, etc.

i get happy every time i go to the gym and see a significantly overweight person get on the treadmill or whatever. i can just imagine them getting healthier and lengthening their life! it takes so much work to lose a large amount of weight and keep it off, and i hope they feel proud of themselves!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 2:39pm
i can understand why bad service and sweaty machines makes you frustrated, but don't you think you are being a little hard on your instructors? do you know for a fact that they've never been overweight or had kids? the woman who is in charge of fitness instructors at my gym teaches as well and she's incredibly thin and energetic despite having two kids. you could never tell by looking at her that she's had kids. i've had people express disbelief to me that i was ever overweight, though i was for most of my life and only keep my current figure through hard work and very healthy eating. but i haven't had kids. am i not qualified to be an instructor then? it would be ideal if the instructors were all ages, sizes and backgrounds. but even if they all ARE young and naturally thin and childless, each one is a real person, with a background, motivations, and life experience that you can't have any clue about by looking at her. there is no one particular struggle an instructor must have overcome in order for her to be an inspiring and empathic leader.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 2:51pm

haven't really gotten upset at the gym lately, but i do have a new "peeve" -- people who don't pull the women's locker room door closed behind them...what's the point of having a locked locker room if people don't close it? besides potential theft issues, what if someone is in the shower thinking she is in a safely locked locker room, when actually anyone could just walk in at any time? keep in mind this is the same gym where the snipers used to work out while they were sniping away, so it's not impossible that a bad man might be in the gym and walk into an unlocked women's room.

i haven't really been accomplishing much in working out lately, i'm kind of in maintenance mode right now. but i was pretty excited when i had to get up unexpectedly during my conference two weekends ago and cue a little combo for the class full of instructors and did it well, even though some of the long time instructors had some trouble cueing on moment's notice.

my two favorite step instructors continually impress me with their great personality, choreography and ability to cue and teach the class.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 3:38pm

****My gym is really gross, I just realized I haven't been back since late last year :o). I can't wait for the YMCA to build their new facility in my little town. Now I'm at the Jazzercise Center 2-3 hours working out most days of the week. Seriously, honestly and all that, nothing upsets me there. My fitness buddies are a boost to my being, I hope I am to them, and I work out with the nicest group of considerate women I've ever met. Now the gym is another story.....

****Not sliding down Cathedral Rock the entire way on my rear. The Grand Canyon hike was pretty tough on my old bod. So that made me smile. It's funny, when hubby and I run races we do a hokey high five at the finish line. I had to do it when we hit the rim after the long hike, I guess it's our weird couple thing :o). Oh this was a gym question...if I'm not at Jazzercise my fitness is done outside!

*****My instructor and how caring she is about our form, our fun-factor, our fitness level improvement, our general class enjoyment. Today she did an entire set of latin-themed Jazzercise dance and toning routines to make it a fun party class. After we had a Mexican potluck and it was decorated so nice. We all had to leave because another instructor was starting her classes but it was just the genuineness of it all, she certainly doesn't teach to make the big bucks. So glad she's there for us.

Debra

Edited 5/8/2003 3:39:56 PM ET by debra_wa

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 11:59am
I have to agree to some degree here. I do think the gym should offer a variety of instructor types or the instructors at least should be better aware of members needs, but I myself fit what Jen describes. I am in my mid-30s, have an 11 yr. old & used to be overfat - a flabby (although w/ lots of hidden muscle)150 lbs. However, I have always looked younger than my age (often mistaken for early/mid-20s) & over the past 3 years I've gone down to a lean 125lbs. I have to admit I am uncomfortably aware that new members will view me differently than older ones & may not feel we can relate to each other, especially since I'm an all or nothing kind of trainer/instructor. We also have another trainer who looks like she's always been thin & muscular. People don't realize she used to be well over 200lbs., that it took her years to lose the fat & she still follows a very strict diet & workout regimen.

I should point out that you probably have the new instructors for financial reasons. I may be a 'pedal to the metal' type, but I always offer options so everyone can do my workouts. This ability is something that comes w/ experience & experience costs money. Chain gyms are mainly concerned w/ 'sign-up', so they like things to look good to potential members & tend to be weak in client aftercare. Younger, less experienced instructors cost less. It's all about the bottom line for these gyms, unfortunately. My advice is complain, complain, complain. If you don't let them know how you feel they can't do anything about it.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 12:42pm
Thanks for the input... I'll let ya know if it happens again and how we deal with it! :)