Can I give up a workout day?

iVillage Member
Can I give up a workout day?
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 12:28am
My skating teacher teaches at a rink about half an hour from my house. She was telling me that they have skating there in the mornings and it's pretty empty. So, I could move my lesson to the morning and hike down there MW or F but that means I'd have to give up one of my precious workout days. Ugh, it's a tough choice because I'm getting into a good rhythm at the gym and really enjoying it. Skating is an okay workout, but nothing like what I get out of the gym. Any thoughts? My major one is that if this is a big issue in my life, I have it pretty good (knock wood).

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 9:05am
can't you go to the gym during the time your skating lesson USED to be at?
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 9:25am
Tuesday night is when my class is. I've follow it up every other week w/ a private lesson because I had no other time. Moving it lets me skate two days a week and I can skate almost two hours then. I think I'll give it a try this morning and see how it goes.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 9:40am
that sounds like a good idea. i think this is one of those decisions that is just "do whatever you would rather do." have fun!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 12:16pm
Based on all my experience (not expertise LOL).....I'd say that if there is nothing specific that you're training for, no particular dedication that you're involved in, love and find fulfillment and enjoyment in...absolutely it is in your body's best interests to do a wide variety of sports, different workouts, and activities.

Talk to someone in a specific sport...and you'll find they have specific ranges of motions, specific abilities and positive attributes...and for every one of those things there are things they can't do anymore because they "aren't able, aren't trained, can't risk" doing it.

Going to a gym is all about a "total body workout" - at least, for me it is. It's giving me the strength to portage my solo boat faster, it's giving me the secondary muscle group buildup for the ultra-marathon paddling and running events - that just paddling and running never increase in strength, but actually my primary groups would break down and be injured faster if these muscle groups weren't developed.

But unless you're a power lifter, or there for a particular purpose....the gym is about a total body workout. it's not going to make you any faster, more fun, more aware, more enduring - in and of itself. And one day you're going to be walking down the aisle at the supermarket and realize - I've got all this strength and power...that does what? I don't run, I don't skate, I don't do yoga, I don't kayak, I don't "do" anything wtih it - I just have it.

In 1994, when still a drunk and not yet nearly the person as a whole that I am now, my ex-cousin said something that hit home. Fundamental in my recovery later, actually. He said "I don't care if you look good, but can you perform? If you can't, you won't race with me."

Even back then I realized it was a lightbulb moment where I had another gauge of worth - if I was willing to pursue utilizing, expanding, and understanding it - performance.

When I sobered up, I took it forward to help me become the person I am now - not just the athlete I am now. It's still up on my bathroom wall - because my body so regularly changes size and shape based on the time of year and sport I'm pursuing and dedicating my time to.....it's not about looking good, it's about performance.

Skate....you never know where it could take you and it'll certainly keep you more limber than lifting weights or putting yourself in a limited range of activity in an aerobics or spinning class.

Erin

quickblade14@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:33pm
You're right about being at the gym. I had the same thought that one reason I work out is so I can skate better. I do love working out, though it's not an end in itself for me at this point.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:39pm
Well, so much for that! I should have stopped and thought about who would be skating during the day...all the kids who are serious competitors and out there doing triples! It's tough trying to skate and avoiding everyone whizzing by you at 60 mph (and never mind that I'm probably 25 years older than the oldest!). I was frustrated after 15 minutes, but had a WWGRD moment decided to tough it out. I had a good time and it's always amazing to watch people whip out triples like nothing. I don't think I'll be back regularly, though. It's a 30 mile drive each way and the gas it takes to do it regularly isn't worth it. I'm going to have to carve out other time for the closer rink.