Taking a day off a week & feeling guilty

iVillage Member
Taking a day off a week & feeling guilty
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 2:42pm
I work out alot, not excessively on a daily basis. Usually about an hour a day. The problem is I have a bad back and sometimes when I need a day off I feel really guilty about skipping exercise. Like if I skip a day of exercise I am going to gain weight in one day. (I know I will not) Not only that whenever I work out it gives me a sense of empowerment and makes me feel so good, and when I do not work out during a day I lose that energy I get from working out. What I need from you guys is some words of wisdom on why you need a day off from working out.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:04pm
You need chill-out time! If your body is sending you a message through your back that it's not happy with working out seven days a week, you do need to listen. A day off is good, we've got it programmed into our work schedules, I've got a training program that I'm following loosely that calls for one day off a week (and it's an intense program), it's a great thing to let your body REST sometimes so it can recharge itself.

Does that help? ;)

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:11pm
because the new zealand team won eco challenge.

ok, i guess i'll explain better than that... half way through the race one of their teammates was sick and needed to rest. but the 7 day race is often won or lost by a few hours, so even taking a few hours to rest feels like it will put you horribly behind. last year their captain tried to win by not having the team sleep at all. he collapsed shortly before end of the race and the team lost. this year, when their teammate was sick and needed to rest, they found a native village, found a dry place to sleep in one of their huts, and rested. for a WHOLE DAY. after that, their teammate recovered, they all felt strong and rested, and they flew by all the other teams ahead of them and ended up winning the race. and that's why you need to rest when your body tells you to rest.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:17pm
Such a huge help! Thanks!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:18pm
LOL... can I just say, I LOVE the way your mind works? Perfect analogy.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:19pm
Yes, cause now all I can think is if I rest today, I will have a great workout tomorrow rather than struggle through today and tomorrows workout!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 4:03pm
Great example! There's nothing more I can add to that. (nt)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 4:37pm
yay! now *i* don't have to feel guilty about watching tv all week! (5 hours of eco-challenge, that is!) glad to be of tv-watching service to you all.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 4:51pm
How about the fact that you could be doing more harm than good by not taking time off?

There are two important factors to a healthy, effective fitness regimen that people are either unaware of or choose to ignore. One is post-exercise stretching, the other is REST.

In terms of muscle maintainance & develoment rest is vital. When you work muscles you create microscopic tears in the individual muscle fibres. The muscle is developed not during the exercise, but the healing process that follows. During your period of rest the torn fibres heal & new ones develop to assist the existing ones. If you are continually working the muscles you're just tearing them down w/o allowing them to rebuild.

Rest is also important because exercise is a form of stress, physical stress. Some stress is good & in manageable doses is beneficial because we must change/adapt, but ongoing, continual stress is harmful mentally, physically & emotionally, whether it's good stress or bad. The effects of this are myriad, including inability to maintain focus (which can result in injury), altered hormone levels, lower immunity, fatigue (mental & physical).

That sense of empowerment you spoke of can be achieved in other ways. Many of us here do charity/volunteer work. Learning a new skill is another idea. These things work the mind & spirit while your body gets a much needed break, while helping you become a more well-rounded & interesting person. (Which is not to say that you aren't already, but perfection is not a human trait, so we can always become better than we already are.)

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 5:16pm
Well said Sol! I was going to add that I have no guilt on Sunday (my rest day from fitness), my body requires and I listen to this old body. But your explanation was fantastic, we need to post it somewhere on our gymrats site.

Deb

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 8:05pm
That's a good idea. We can title it, "If it's good enough for God, it's good enough for us." Well, I'm serious about the idea, not about the title.