Need your advice on WEIGHTS (m)

iVillage Member
Need your advice on WEIGHTS (m)
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 7:50am
Hello all! I'd love to hear your opinions on this one!

I want to start weight training a little more consistently. I'm looking at four days a week right now. Two days upper, two days lower, with a day or so in between. Anyways, here's what I am planning:

Weights - each session, 5 exercises to target the muscle group

Sets/Reps - two sets, first one 12 reps, second one 10 reps at about 10 lbs lighter.

Does this sound okay for toning? I really don't need to make my muscles any bigger, and I do have a tendancy to build muscle a little more easier. However, I still want to incorporate weight training.

Thanks!

Victoria

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 10:56am
Do you do five different exercises per muscle group? If you do and enjoy it, it won't hurt but it's a lot. You can do three and get great results and a lot of people just do one for a few weeks and then change. I haven't heard of doing those sets/reps, but that doesn't mean it won't work. The two similar I know of are pyramids and drop sets. For pyramids on the sets/reps, you start w/ light and more reps and go heavier w/ fewer reps for three sets. For drop sets, you start out heavier for about 12, drop quickly to a lighter weight and do as many as you can and then drop one more time. That's similar to what you're doing, only one less set. There are a lot of different routines, as long as you find one you like and that works for you. I'm like you in that I build quickly. Hope that helps!