Id like to ask you all a question..

iVillage Member
Id like to ask you all a question..
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 2:02pm
I think i have mentioned before that i am 5'2 approx 101lbs. When i go to the gym i do about 15 mins of cardio and about 40 mins of weights. I dont need to lose weight, but i would like to get toned. I would love to especially tone my lower body (butt, thighs). Do you have any suggestions.....

Should i stick to mostly weights at the gym rather than the cardio. I hear that cardio is to mostly "lose" weight. I would like to tone whatever weight i do have. Thanksssssssss!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 2:39pm
Hi thanks for posting... have you looked back into our previous posts here? Cardio will burn fat... if that is not what you are looking for resistance training maybe better. All of our bodies are different though and it may take awhile to see results. Make sure you are lifting enough to tire your muscle in 8-10 reps. If you can do more than that in one set you aren't lifting enough to gain muscle. IF you want to tone what you have you should do higher reps with lighter weight.

cl-alanagreenberg

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 2:42pm
With what you want to do I think 15 minutes of cardio might be enough as long as you're working really hard while you're doing it. Cardio doesn't help build muscle, but it's still good for you in preventing diseases (heart disease, cancer, etc.) and making your heart stronger. It'll also help you outside the gym, like being able to walk w/out getting winded, go upstairs easily, do more activities, etc. So the cardio is overall something you need to be well balanced and healthy.

About lower bodies, hopefully someone can jump in here since I don't do much, other than cardio w/ lower body. Squats, lunges w/ weights in your hand are good. There's also the squat where you rest the weight on your shoulder w/ a barbell (I can't remember what it's called). There's also the hamstring curl where you lie on your stomach, ankles below the weight and curl you legs.

I read about another lunge that sounded good--Lunges around the world. You hold a weight in each hand, by the side. Lunge forward and then feet together, squat to the right and then legs together, lunge back and legs together, then squat to the left and legs together. Repeat at least once.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 4:15pm
i agree with jean that cardio is important for overall good health. if you start to lose weight b/c of doing cardio and you don't want to lose weight, simply up the number of calories you are eating. (by eating healthy foods of course!)

i've been doing one legged lunges and they really isolate my butt. a personal trainer i once had taught them to me but i hadn't done them in a really long time. i do the one legged lunge holding a 15lb hand weight, with my back foot up on a bench, shoelaces to the bench. it's an intense move because all your weight is on your standing leg. just make sure when you do it that your feet are far enough apart so that when you bend your standing leg your front knee isn't moving forward towards your toes. just like in a squat, you want to sit back as you bend the standing leg so your lower leg stays perpendicular to the floor.

it does take a little more balance than normal lunges so you might want to use a wall or a chair for balance until you get used to it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 12:48am
I'll bet you could do lunges around the world on the bench like that. Instead of just doing one lunge/squat, do 10 or whatever fatigues you. Face the bench, place one leg on the bench and do a forward lunge, repeat until fatigued. Then turn 90 degrees so your right side is next to the bench, put your right foot on the bench and do 10 squats. Turn 90 degrees again and do 10 back lunges like jen described. Turn 90 degrees and do the left side like the right. I'll bet that would get a lot of your upper leg muscles. Be careful w/ form, and as jen said, make sure your knees never extend past your feet.

If you want to add arms to it, you could probably do a different set w/ each rotation, like forward lunges, bicep curls; right squats, side lift; back lunges, hammer curls; left lunges; upright rows. That way you could do biceps and shoulders at the same time. I wouldn't add arms until you're really comfortable w/ the lunges/squats, though. I guess it also depends on upper body strength, if you're using 15 pound weights.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 9:05am
i don't think it would be safe to do a squat with one leg on the bench. it would be too much on your knee and hip. (i'm talking about a bench like you use for bench presses, not a step.)
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 10:29am
Oh, I thought you were talking about a step bench. Never mind, then. A bench press would probably be too high for forward lunges, too.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 10:42am
yes, too high for forward lunges too. but it would work on a step.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 11:23am
Darn and here I was last night thinking it was clever to think of lunges around the world on the bench by tagging on your idea.;-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 11:43am
I do squats with one leg on the bench all of the time. In fact, we do them in my body sculpting class. Another exercise I like is turning your toes out, and standing on the toes of the foot that's on the ground and doing ple'ays. (Sorry, I have no idea how to spell that.)
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 11:51am
Cute doggie icon! I think jen was talking about the chest press bench, not the step bench. We do squats on the step bench in class, too. There's one I really like where you do a squat, jump up and do a half turn into a squat on the other side. It combines squats w/ plyometrics.