I am disgusted by this behaviour (m)

iVillage Member
I am disgusted by this behaviour (m)
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 2:56pm
Hey all, just wondering if any of you have had this happen, and if so, what you do.

My gym is small, and not large-scale like some of the other chains. Anyways, there's a woman, who I see every time I'm there. I hate judging, but she's always looking very mean. She just has a scowl on her face all the time at the gym. For some odd reason, everytime I walk by her, or she sees me working out, she will give me a cold glance.

Fine. I don't really care, but last night, she did something that absolutely made my blood boil. She has a tendancy to keep a bunch of freeweights by her side, even though she's doing something completely different. Well there were no freeweights left (she had most of them scattered around her) I saw the 12lb weights beside her, and ironically, beside the rack too, so I figured someone had just left them beside the rack. I picked them up, and she shot back at me "EXCUSE ME, but I AM USING THOSE". Unfortunetly, she didn't use them again for 10 minutes. Too bad I would have had my sets finished in like three.

She also scowled when someone returned a freeweight, marched over to the paper towel dispenser and sprayed the heck out of the weight, and wiped it down. But not once does she wipe down a machine or a freeweight. I know, because I used on after her.

I thought about complaining, but I thought this would be tattling. I don't know what to do, but I should probably just ignore her and aviod her as much as humanly possible.

Anyone else have this happen??

Victoria

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 3:18pm
Ugh, how rude! I don't think it's tattling because you have as much right to the equipment as she does (though she apparently thinks she's entitled to it all!). Maybe next time she does something like that, mention it to the staff quietly and let them deal with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already had other comments. When she shoots you cold glances, just smile and say, "hi". It's easier said than done, but you know that expression about getting more flies with honey...well... I don't remember how it goes exactly but that's the idea.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 4:30pm
i would have said "no you aren't, they are just sitting on the floor. i'll be done with them in three minutes."
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 4:35pm
Hi, Victoria! At first, I thought you were talking about me... I tend to look pretty mean when I'm working-out... not because I'm an unpleasant person. I just tend to look that way when I'm working out and concentrating. I'm in my own little zone with my headphones and don't want to be bothered. Keep that in mind when you see that woman. She may not necessarily be a mean-spirited person. About the weights... That's how I knew you weren't talking about me. LOL! I definitely don't hoard the weights. This person is just practicing poor gym etiquette and needs to be told. She may be worried that if she shares the weights, then she won't have them available when she wants them. Hey, that's part of going to a public gym. I say, if you want your own stuff, when you want it, set up a home gym! Otherwise learn to share. I would grab the weights and when she says something, tell her that you'll be sure to return them to her when you're finished. It's the same with "working in" on the machines. Sometimes, you can't expect to get all 3 sets in without someone else coming over and asking to work in with you, especially in small gyms. But that's just me. If you would prefer to avoid confrontation, either look for another set of handweights, wait until she's finished with them, or ask someone who works there for assisstance.

Edited 5/13/2003 4:36:24 PM ET by millcreek2
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 2:03pm
Victoria- Don't let this woman affect one more minute of your life. Either say something to her (without any expectation of her changing anything) or just flush her out of your life. Please please please- my friends do this all the time- let someone who they don't know have this kind of effect on them. You have no actual relationship with her so don't let her take one more second of your brain power.

WAY easier said than done, I know. But look- she is so aggravating that you had to use your time and thoughts on this stranger. She probably doesn't have any concept of the people around her. I speak from experience- I used let people get to me in traffic and then I realized that I was giving all this power to these strangers. You know what I mean? My day would be "ruined" because someone cut me off or drove too slow. I realized that I was letting all of these people have control over me. And then I stopped letting that happen.

Oh boy, I am really on a soap box now. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.