Through the years...

iVillage Member
Through the years...
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 10:51am
For these years, what did you want to be, for a career? If you were working, what are/were you doing?

5?

10?

20?

25?

30 (I know some of you aren't here yet so just skip this one!)?

40 (see above)?

What are you doing?

What do you like best about it?

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term?

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:34am
For these years, what did you want to be, for a career? If you were working, what are/were you doing?

5? i probably wanted to be a dancer or singer

10? i wanted to be dancer, singer, veterinarian, or fighter pilot (that last one might have been more like 13 - what year did Top Gun come out?)

20? (i was in college) i wanted to be a social worker, lawyer, college professor, work for a public interest organization, or be a professional intellectual/saver of the world (let's hear it for a liberal arts education!)

25? (i was in law school) i wanted to be a union-side labor lawyer or do some other kind of public interest law, or quit law and become a nurse practitioner, a personal trainer, or a librarian.

30? (i was, and still am, a labor lawyer, at that time transitioning from advocating on behalf of unions to working for the government in a neutral decisionmaker type capacity) i want to be a dancer or a singer when i grow up.

What are you doing? see above, plus part time fitness instructor.

What do you like best about it? subsidized gym downstairs with great instructor! plus, it's very intellectually interesting and the nature of the work (solitary research, analyzing, writing) suits my personality, i don't have to practice law or deal with private attorneys, i am making a difference in the lives of workers, the hours, the benefits, the pay, the location. in that order.

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term? decided to move out of private practice around age 30. it will probably be long term, since i love it, and since if i hang around i'll get great retirement benefits. but if i get an offer to be a dancer for janet jackson or justin timberlake, i'm outta here.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:55am
5? I didn't know what I wanted to be yet but I remember working out with Richard Simmons every day.

10? I wanted to be a Broadway Performer. I was working out with Denise Austin.

20? I didn't know what I wanted to be exactly, but I knew I wanted to be a business professional who wore suits and high heels every day. I had a gym membership by this time and was lifting seriously. My ultimate goal was to have veins popping out of my arms and big muscles.

25? I had been working in the newspaper industry for a few years at this point and knew that's where I wanted to build my career. I was still a member at a gym and had a better balanced workout regimine. I was also married by this time and had reduced my time spent at the gym.

30? I'm not there yet, but I dream of putting my career on hold while I have children. My plan is to keep working out either at home or at the gym.

What are you doing? I'm still working in the newspaper industry (sales and marketing), and I love what I do.

What do you like best about it? My job allows for a lot of flexibilty, demands a lot of creativity, and challenges me every day.

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term? I got in touch with a publisher who happened to graduate from my alma mater and he gave me a chance. Then I found out that I was actually good at what I was doing and developed a passion for circulating the newspaper.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 2:34pm
5? A teacher

10? a writer

20? a doctor in a clinic

25? something high powered where I'd have a corner office overlooking the city (mid 80's greed hit me), great clothes, etc.

30 (I know some of you aren't here yet so just skip this one!)? Child's advocate, again, where mid 80's greed wore off

40 (see above)? trying to decide!

I stay home w/ the kids now, and love it but, even when I was pregnant with my first I thought I would never stay home. The women I admired were ones who had their babies, and popped right back in the workforce in a couple of weeks, working 60 hours a week. Now I think that's really sad. Not the working part, which is still a good choice, but that many hours that quickly when you don't have to. What I love about staying home is that I set the schedule and I get to be outdoors playing when it's nice outside. I don't see myself staying home forever, though and want to do something part time, or flexible full time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 3:09pm

5? >>>Vet, mother

10? >>>Dancer, writer, mother

20? >>>Dancer, writer, mother

25? >>>Writer, mother, health/fitness professional

30 (I know some of you aren't here yet so just skip this one!)? >>>Writer, mother, health/fitness professional - specialize in rehab

40 (see above)? >>>Not there just yet.

What are you doing? >>>Mother, health/fitness professional. (I was a dancer, but gave it for motherhood.)

What do you like best about it? >>>I learn new things every day, am constantly being both humbled & inspired. I meet many wonderful people & have a chance to positively influence their lives, as they do mine. I get paid to to be fit/healthy.

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term? >>>Hmmm...I live day by day, so nothing but motherhood is ever 'long term' until it happens.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 10:30am
5? When I was 5, my older sisters were in high school. I don't think I'd given any thought to doing anything!

10? When I was 10, I definitely wanted to be a veterinarian. And when I was about 14 I figured out that animals in pain cause me pain so that wouldn't work real well!

20? When I was 20, I was in my first year studying Environmental Engineering after a year of Biomedical Engineering (really general classes in the first two years anyway). So at that point, I thought I might be an environmental engineer.

25? When I was 25, I'd been doing structural engineering for three years and went back for a Master's. I'd already worked for a railroad and was doing consulting on railroad bridges.

What are you doing? Now, at 28, I'm still doing structural engineering, designing railroad bridges and retaining walls and waiting for the results of the PE exam that I took last month.

What do you like best about it? I like that it's extremely useful to society and also unusual, especially for women. People are always surprised that I'm a structural engineer and I usually have to tell them what structural engineers do.

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term? I decided to do structural engineering when I started my junior year in college, I had a summer intership with a consulting firm that had both environmental, transportation, and structural engineers, and I liked the job description of the structural (and the pay scale was better than the other two) better. This will be long term so long as I get both licenses. I may still change careers around 40 for family purposes, ideally I'd be able to work part time as a SE and have a part time job at a gym as a personal trainer, both close to home so I can also be a mom and stop this hellish commute!

Great questions Jean!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 5:55pm

5?***I think I wanted to be a vet

10?*** Still a vet or teacher

20?***videographer

25?***Graphic designer

30 (I know some of you aren't here yet so just skip this one!)?*** Not there yet... almost though

40 (see above)?***Not there yet

What are you doing?*** Running my own small business with my husband and loving it! (A tattoo Studio/gallery)

What do you like best about it?*** EVERYTHING!!!I LOVE Art work and I get to be around it ALL the time. I love the hours - 12 or so until 9 or 10 (that means I can go to the gym every morning! I love being my own boss, I love busting my butt for me! 99% of the clients are cool, same goes for the people in the industry too - pretty open minded group of people!

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term?*** I've been getting tatooed for 10 years and always thought it was kicka*s! My husband worked as a tattoo artist for about 7 years and I was always somewhat "envious" of the business. When the time was right (about 2 years ago) we decided to open our own shop. He's the artistic talent, Im the "business brains" so it balances out really well... now we've got 2 other artists and a busy appointment book! :) I hope to Buddha that this is Long term, we've invested a lot of time and energy into this and it very important to both of us. Besides even though I did go to college for Corporate Communications I can't imagine myself working for anyone else, let alone a corporate situation!(they don't quite understand the whole tattoo hting! wink wink!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 7:52pm

5?===Mom at home

10? ====Mom at home

20? ===Flight attendant (wanted to travel) / was a banker

25? ====Wanted to be mom at home, was a banker

30 ====Wanted to be a mom at home & home schooler, was a banker

40 =====Wanted to be: RETIRED, was in public relations, quit and RETIRED that year, finally a goal at 40!

50??? I'm 44 this year....!

What are you doing?

===I have the best job I could ever imagine, community volunteer.

Co-Chair the Zoobilee Gala auction for the Zoo Society, Co-Chair the Auction Committee for the American Heart Association's Heart Ball 2004-also working on the decor committee, and guest development (getting corporate sponsorships).

Also on the marketing committee, volunteer committee, and sales committee for RAGS, the fundraising arm for our YWCA's domestic violence programs. Also organizing teams for Heart Walk 2004 in September, also....whatever interests me in the community my husband and I help out with.

If I do ever go back to the "paid" workforce, I have a good resume for my retired time off :o).

What do you like best about it?

===Between the three organizations it's full time (adding in all the hours on weekends). I love having goals, and reaching goals, and doing a lot for the community I live in. It's great knowing when an event comes together and was very successful, you had a major part in it.

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term?

===When I retired I decided I couldn't just work out all day :o). 2-3 hours 6x a week is my max, the other time is running our lives, and community volunteer. When I first started to volunteer I was afraid of the huge time commitment I'd have to make for so many different projects but with a very understanding partner it's working out!

Deb

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 12:42am
Do you two design your own tattoos for your studio? That's really cool that you have your own business doing what you love. You're kind of a graphic artist for the body. I can't imagine going from that to Corporate Communications--you'd feel so confined in comparison.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:40am
5? -- A princess and a mom.

10? -- an astronaut or doctor and a mom.

20? -- a diplomat and a mom.

25? -- secretary general of the UN and a mom -- I was working as a cost-of-living surveyor for a consulting firm, traveling all over the world doing pricing surveys. Cool gig for someone in their 20s.

30 (I know some of you aren't here yet so just skip this one!)? -- I don't know anymore. I do know that I want to be a mom, but I also think I want to go to law school.... I want to work in some kind of policy role related to human rights.

What are you doing? -- I am working for the UN Population Fund in Kosovo.

What do you like best about it? -- Love living overseas, meeting new people, experiencing a new culture. LOVE the perks, like paid R&R every 2 months, and the ease of traveling to other places. Notice that none of the things I love have anything to do with my actual JOB, which I find tedious and boring.

When/how did you decide to be this and is this long term? -- I was straight out of grad school, looking at a terrible job market. I knew I wanted to get some field experience and this was the first good-sounding offer I got. DEFINTELY not long term!