Motivation

iVillage Member
Motivation
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 10:58am
What of these motivates you, temporarily, to work harder in the gym?

jeans being too tight

watching people on shows like the eco challenge where they really push their bodies

another person who looks great

good music

splurging too much

not being able to do something you want

having a cute new outfit for the gym

having a cute new outfit outside the gym

being complimented on what you look like

competition

motivational challenges like on this board

seeing someone else work hard

anything else?

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:02am
jeans being too tight

having a cute new outfit outside the gym

being complimented on what you look like

These are the main reason why I work out. I was overweight for a while, I actually still have some weight to lose. When I work out I only think about how great my clothes will feel and how much fun shopping will be if I look hot.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:15am
None of the above, I go to feel better physically and usually get an emotional benefit too. Motivation is not what drives me... I go to go, I haven't gone in a week.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:35am
When someone compliments me on my figure or when I can tell a difference in my body, weight, or the way my clothes fit. For me when something is too tight or I gain weight I work in the opposite direction, that makes me less motivated.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:41am
Music and be my best motivation when it's good. When the music is horrible, I really struggle through my workout and don't enjoy it.

I have special mix CDs that I listen to while I'm working out. Many of them are theme songs from movies or television shows that have strong motivational themes in them such as the TV show Fame, the movie Rocky, the movie Flash Dance, etc. I also listen to songs that bring back good memories of those teenage years. (I would have never guessed that working out to New Edition could be so motivating!)

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 11:42am
not necessarily in this order:

* animal rights (that is, being an example of how healthy veganism is)

* being happy about the way i look, and wanting to look even better

* wanting to be strong and fit and healthy

* good music

* a fitness magazine i want to read on the machine

* watching people on ecochallenge and stuff like that

* this board

* a good instructor

* anticipating people's comments if i don't go to class ("haven't seen you in a while!")

* cute outfit for the gym

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 1:37pm
I agree with tictac- only positive results motivate me. When jeans are too tight or I am feeling tired, I am not motivated to work out. Mostly, I'm just depressed. However, when good things happen, like a nice compliment then I feel more motivated. I also tend to work really hard when I have a big event coming up. Right now it's my 10 year high school reunion- Sat. May 24. Oh wow am I ever working out like a maniac!!!!!!!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 1:49pm
id have to say that i push myself harder when :

1. i see someone inside with a great body

2. shopping afterwards and hoping new outfits will look great

3. i think of my boyfriend and how he works out, so i wanna look great also.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 2:37pm
I love the Flashdance soundtrack, too. It reminds me of that scene where she's working really hard in her loft and sweating like crazy. It gets me inspired.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 2:39pm
I'm w/ those who say feeling good, or being complimented makes you work harder. It seems the better I feel, the more I want to work out. Also, the more I'm into whatever sport I like at the time, the more I want to work out to do better.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 3:29pm
None of the listed options, except good music.

My number one reason is fitness. I have a number of health/physical problems that I use fitness to combat. My body is the vessel for my soul & I am responsible to care for it as best I can. I intend to enjoy what time I have & don't intend to do from a wheelchair or care-home.

Number two is the positive effect exercise has on my emotional/mental well being - stress relief.

Third is practicing what I preach. As a health/fitness professional I must be a positive role model. That doesn't mean being thin & beautiful, but accepting & bettering myself within reasonable limits, proving that age is irrelevant & adversity can be overcome -making one stronger, body & soul.

Last is superficial. When I look good I feel good. Feeling good about myself makes we want do whatever I need to to keep feeling good. Plus, it's a boon to the ego that DH finds me just as desirable/attractive as he did when we met - that's something I definitely don't want to lose (although he's loved me through all my shapes & sizes)!

Soleilune