Inner thigh exercises

iVillage Member
Inner thigh exercises
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 10:44am
I've been working out everyday for two months now. I was on a 3 year work-out hiatus. Anyway, my body is responding really well to all the exercise. Things are getting firm and toning up. My question to you all is what exercise is best for inner thighs. I really want to shrink that area down.

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 11:21am
You can't spot reduce an area, but you can spot tone. By spot toning, you work that muscle and it gets larger. To make it smaller, if it's fat, is to reduce fat in your body overall but, surgery aside, you can't choose where the fat comes off. You could just be genetically programmed to carry it there last. The adductor machine would work that area but you'd be using weight and it might get bigger. You can also lie on your side with your top leg bent, thne lift the lower leg up and down.

I found a picture since I'm terrible at describing things.

http://www.fitmoves.com/Video/Exercise%20Dictionary/Adductor%20Lifts.htm

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 11:45am
i agree but toning won't necessarily make an area look larger, higher rep exercises might make the muscle more defined which will change the shape of that area, but i don't think it'll make it look larger. if you were to do low rep (<15 reps) exercises, you'd start to build muscle on your inner thigh and that might make it look a little larger, but that area doesn't have very large muscle groups to begin with so you aren't going to get big muscles there the way you might in your quad for instance.

of course, jean is absolutely right that you can't spot reduce and if you have a lot of fat in that area, you can't lose that fat by doing inner thigh exercises, nor will toning really make a noticible difference if you are toning muscle that is covered by fat. i'd concentrate on losing fat overall and building muscle in your large muscles such as your quads, glutes, back, chest, which will help you lose fat and also will make any remaining fat in your inner thighs look less noticable, because i believe that five extra pounds on a proportionate, muscular body is barely noticable whereas five extra pounds on a person who is otherwise thin or disproportionately fatter in certain areas looks out of place and is more noticible. does that make sense?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 1:11pm
I didn't read the other responses but an exercise that I like to do during the day at my desk job is sitting with my thighs firmly pressed together as if I were wearing a short skirt while sitting on a stage in front of a large audience. (Or, as my mother would say, "Sit like a lady.")
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 3:43pm
One more that the trainer I saw showed me gets both inner thighs and abs. You lie on your back with a ball between your legs (near the foot) and do lower ab lifts. Holding the ball in one place forces you to use your inner thighs.