Stream of Consciousness

iVillage Member
Stream of Consciousness
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 12:11pm
We tried something like this on another board. I'll start with a thought. The next person will post whatever they think of from that original post, the next person on the previous post. It doesn't have to be workout related, just whatever comes to mind.

I need new jeans and it's so frustrating finding a pair that fits! I've tried on 4's that are too big and 6's that don't go over my hips. I have no idea what size I am, plus there's been such a size inflation here. I have a really old pair of jeans that are a 10 and fit great (they have holes which is why I need new ones). I also have a size 2 pair of shorts that fit that are no where near a true 2. Why isn't there more uniformity!?!?!

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 1:14pm
i recently read an article discussing this problem and it said that there is an effort underway to make sizes uniform, similar i would imagine to what the tampon manufacturers have done in making the descriptions of "super," "regular" etc. correspond to a specific range of absorbibility. is that a word? whatever.

many manufacturers do give size charts now which list measurements, that helps. also, i just try to remember what size i am in different brands. target runs REALLY big. tommy hilfiger i think is pretty accurate for what i think a size 6 should be. i.e. i think i'm a size six pants and tommy's size 6's fit me well. whereas i'm definitely a 4 at target. i determined that i'm a size 6 because all 10's are too big, all 2's are too small, i'm sometimes a 4 or an 8, but more often a 6. so that's how i determine that. i just bought 4 dresses of different brands in a size 6 and all fit me well on the bottom (the top is another matter because i'm a size 4 on top, but that's a whole other story so don't get me started on how frustrating it is to buy a dress, or a one piece bathing suit, or a suit that comes as a set, when you are a whole SIZE smaller on top at least than you are on the bottom.)

but then you have the brands that are using odd sizes instead of even sizes which throws me into even more confusion. the size 7 dickies i'm wearing right now fit me perfectly. and you're right that sizes change over time, which adds a lot of confusion for me since i buy alot of my clothes at the thrift store. i buy clothes at the thrift store from all departments: kids (size 10-12 or 12-14 tee shirts), women's (anywhere from size 4 to size 10), and men's (luckily they actually use measurements, depending on the item i buy anywhere from a 28 to 30).

was that stream of consciousness enough? LOL i'm the worst person to play this game with, pretty much every thing i say is a stream of consciousness.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 3:42pm
I think even sizes for women and odd sizes for juniors. I haven't bought jeans in such a long time so I have no idea what size I am in what designer, except that Eddie Bauer runs really big. I tried GAP--now, please tell me what marketing/placement genius thought it would be best to put small sizes at the top of the shelves and the big sizes on the bottom??? The only pair I could reach that were in my size was a misplaced pair of 4's. I tried them on, but they were button fly. I don't have the patience for those (but they fit!!!). No extra sales people around to help.

Totally off topic and I don't know how this popped into my head, but has anyone heard from kiervin? Hope she and her husband are doing okay.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 3:59pm
she just posted earlier today below! so much for our handy dandy file system. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 4:10pm
I noticed after I posted. I don't go down below often enough! (nt)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 4:17pm
ah, you gave an almost irresistible opening for ribbing here but it would not suit our family-oriented board... (hey you started the stream of consciousness thing, i can't help it if my stream isn't always so clean!)
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 4:25pm
Well...that occurred to me, too...

so, continuing on the stream of consciousness...I grind my teeth at night and, though I wear a mouth guard, it still is bad on my jaws. As I get older, I can't eat a lot of foods, like tortilla chips, bagels, Goldfish, some nuts, gum (strange assortment and some it's better for me anyway) because my jaw locks up closed after. I also can't open my mouth for long so it's hard for a dental appointment.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 4:58pm
wow, that really stinks, why do some people grind their teeth? wonder if you can be hypnotized not to do it.

i won't eat certain foods, like apples off the core, for fear of breaking my repaired chipped front bottom tooth. the repaired part has fallen off many times, once because of eating movie theater popcorn i think. i originally broke it biting my nails. i don't use my mouth as a tool anymore, in part because of fear of breaking teeth. after breaking my tooth, i got a fear of my teeth falling out and would have dreams, well nightmares, about it all the time. strange that i was so eager to get my tongue pierced in light of that fear and even stranger that i haven't had any teeth falling out dreams since i had it pierced. perhaps the dreams weren't actually about teeth but represented something in my subconcious. ever have weird dreams, my bf once had one about a bear that was constipated.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 12:37am
I used to think the grinding was stress but my kids also do it so now I think it's hereditary. Oh well.

I have dreams about losing my teeth, too! I'll wiggle one and it'll be loose and suddenly fall out and then all my teeth do that. I also dream about my hair falling out, too. I think the strangest recurring dream I've had lately is that it's final exam time and I haven't made it to any classes all term. LOL, as strange as mine might be, I've never dreamt of a constipated bear, though! I wonder what that would mean. What was happening? Was he trying to help it (which is what I'd expect from your SO)?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:00am
I think the teeth-falling-out dream is a really common one... I have it all the time, and it's exactly like you described: one of my teeth is loose and I wiggle it with my tongue, and it comes out. Then it's like the tension that normally holds my teeth in place is gone and they all get loose, until I'm spitting them out into my hand and my mouth is all bloody.

The thing is, even though it's a recurring dream, it's always SO vivid that I think it's real. Once I had it and, in the dream, I thought "This is so ironic -- I always dream that my teeth are falling out, and now it's actually happened!"

Side note -- I've been gone for a few days b/c our internet has been down. Not sure I'll get a chance to answer these questions but they're great!

Another side note -- I had a scary accident yesterday... while running down the stone steps of our 6th floor apartment in my sandals, I slipped and fell down a half-flight of stairs. Landed with all of my weight on one of my elbows. The pain was so bad that for the first 15 minutes, I thought I had broken something. But a trip to the clinic showed nothing broken or dislocated, just a bad bruise and pain in my elbow and shoulder. Phew!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 7:14am
glad to hear you are ok! also relieved to hear that my teeth dreams are common. mine were much like y'alls.

i don't think T tried to help the constipated bear in the dream, it was just like he was in the woods, and there was a bear and it was constipated. i don't know what someone would do to help a constipated bear. but i think that might just be the number one weirdest dream i've ever heard of.

speaking of animals and their poop, anyone else watch jeff corwin on animal planet? i love that show. i'd love to go on an expedition with jeff corwin. what famous person or expert would you like to go on an adventure with?

i dyed my hair blonde last night and got it cut very short. and coincidentally i then saw an ad for legally blonde II which was my inspiration to go blonde. legally blonde is my favorite movie. vanessa you should definitely watch it if you haven't already - it depicts law school perfectly. and i think legally blonde II might be even better...we'll see! have to go see the matrix this weekend though!

Pages