Getting out of a funk

iVillage Member
Getting out of a funk
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:07pm
What do you do when you're in a funk? Do you let yourself wallow or do you try to pull yourself out?

I've just been really grumpy the last couple of days. I think it's because I haven't been sleeping well (going on three days, ugh!) and I'm kind of stressed about moving and finding a place to live. It's not terrible but I'm ready to move on. Maybe I just need sleep! I'm usually an emotional eater, but I haven't felt like it this time.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:25pm
i haven't been sleeping well either! i've been waking up every morning between 5 and 5:30 and not being able to fall back to sleep. plus i'm gaining weight. maybe going to the gym tonight will make me feel better.

no luck finding a house? are you sure there is nothing i can do to help?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:40pm
You know I have been in a funk for the past few days. And last night I went to a really great Tae Bo class and it made me feel better right after, I thought to myself enjoy it while it lasts. Cause I knew it was not the end of the "funk" just a good moment. So try and do something for you, no matter if it is exercise, a pedicure, or just relax and enjoy the "moment". If that make sense. Like you said it is just a funk and you will get out of it. And sleep - lack of sleep can make you miserable. I slept through my alarm this morning and was 30 minutes late for work, but you know what as my mom said "I must have needed it".
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:43pm
I'll bet part of it is that I couldn't work out today and probably not this weekend because my son's having a sleepover birthday party. Wednesday I saw the trainer so I didn't get full workout either. Working out usually makes me feel good too.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 4:45pm
I've been up half the night and getting up early, too. I need lots of sleep on a normal night. Thanks for the offer, though unless you know of a cheap house coming on the market in northern VA--that would help a lot! ;-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 5:15pm
I know exactly how you feel. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in a couple weeks, I'm mentally & physically burnt out from work & the high humidity has made it difficult to put people through a good workout w/o them passing out from heat exhaustion, so I have no sense of professional satisfaction to boost my spirits.

As for the funk, I usually wallow for a bit, then give myself a good, swift kick in the pants. I tell myself that since I have more than so many others (a family I love who love me back, a home of my own, a car that gets from A to B, a job I enjoy even if I do need a break from it, all 5 of my senses, so much dirt to play, er... plant in & 2 wonderful pets), I'm being foolish & should appreciate my good fortune & get on w/ the business of living.

Remember that its healthy to be sad/melancholy somtimes. It's actual depression that isn't good & is usually indicative of some form of stress/trauma. It could very well be the sleep deprivation for you. I find practicing meditation, conscious breathing & mindfulness very helpful in dealing w/ the effects of insufficient sleep. I'm not only somewhat revitalized by it, but by accepting the negative feelings I've got & that they're natural makes me better able to deal w/ them rationally & eventually let them go. (It may sound like my usual New Age/Buddhist mumbo jumbo, but it works for me.) Make a point of taking a little time for youself, Jean. Ask your Hubby if he can keep the kids out of your hair for a 1/2 hour or so. Make a cleansing cup of green tea, run a bath, light a candle, then just soak, sip & let your mind wander. Imagine drawing in positive energy & a sense of vibrant well-being w/ each breathe you inhale. As you exhale feel yourself expelling the stress, tension (mental & physical) & negative energy w/ your breath. Be conscious of the flow of your breath, the feel of it. (I could get into my whole conscious breathing description, but I'll spare you.)

Feel better, Jean. :-)

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-17-2003 - 1:13pm
MOON PHASE ladies! I'm convinced. Not only was it a full moon (which somehow seemed bigger and closer than usual) but it was also a lunar eclipse. Never ever underestimate the power that such things have on our bodies. (look at how the ancients viewed it as magic, well when the entire tribe is pissed off and not sleeping on the same night it happens it is easy to ascribe evil spirits...) Side note on it, my periods have matched the full moon for years, well since we moved here and have been closer to the equator... We are connected to our mother earth, she's had a big week so we had to pay:)

We should be fine by Tuesday.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-17-2003 - 3:53pm
I'm starting to feel better already. I got a decent night sleep, though it wasn't great. And, I was at Safeway and there was this mother who was so rude to everyone (even the cashier who told her he could take are elsewhere faster) and I thought, "Life could be worst. I could be a bitch."

Soleil, I really wish I could get into the New Age stuff and meditation. It always seems so calming. With my ADHD like personality, I can't sit still for it. I went by the yoga class this morning after my mile-a-minute step class and was envious that everyone was sitting around with their eyes, relaxed. When I've tried it, I get antsy.