Sit spins and bad knee forms?

iVillage Member
Sit spins and bad knee forms?
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 4:01pm
I've been working harder to get into that sit spin position. I talked to the trainer last week and she suggested good stretches and weighted walking lunges. But, the more I try to get into that position, even assisted, the more I think it's not good for your knees. Your knee is beyond your toes and your leg is beyond 90 degrees. It's a lot of stress on the knee. What do you think?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=btc.montana.edu/olympics/physbio/biomechanics/graphics/sit-spin-still.JPG&imgrefurl=http://btc.montana.edu/olympics/physbio/biomechanics/cam-intro.html&h=240&w=275&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsit%2Bspin%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

Wow, that was a long address. Hope it works!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 4:35pm
this is what my instructor says about stuff like this... the human body is designed to do things like have the knee bend in the way it does during a sit spin, to extend or arch your spine during certain activities, a lot of things that have become counterindicated by contemporary fitness standards. those standards are good because they prevent people who don't know what they are doing and who aren't strong enough to do certain things from doing things that may be dangerous. but that doesn't necessarily mean that no one should ever extend their knee beyond their toe for any reason. a lot of yoga moves are counterindicated by fitness standards, including moves that have the knee bent at more than 90 degrees. there are things that can be safely done by healthy individuals under the guidance of a knowledgeable instructor that we don't want the general public just going to the gym and trying to do on their own.

that being said, people with bad knees (or bad back in the case of back extension) should not do that kind of thing because it DOES put a lot of stress on the knee, and you have bad knees, right? so maybe a sit spin is not for you. i know that's not what you want to hear, but if you mess up your knees, your life as gym rat as you now know it is pretty much done. but of course, i'm the super conservative one of this group when it comes to injury and you are the daredevil skiier/rockclimber/etc. etc.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 7:04pm
Thanks--what your instructor says makes sense.

I've taken it easy with them because of my knees. You don't have to go all the way down to do them, and a lot of adults, even those competing at high levels don't. I thought it looked nice and wondered if I could get down that far if I worked at it. So, I'm working on them, but at any point if it hurts my knees, I'll stop. While I like challenging my body, I won't do it to the point of injury (at least knowing for sure it'll cause injury). Anyway, at this point, I'm not close to getting revolutions, never mind getting down low!