Owwww...my new seat....

iVillage Member
Owwww...my new seat....
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 10:07am
This is going to sound funny....I am SO SORE from my new bike seat! But I think it's a keeper.

Jean, I know you asked me before why I thought a less-padded saddle would be better than a more cushy one, and I've figured it out. I rode 20 miles on Saturday, 40 miles yesterday, and I was acutely aware of my sit bones THE WHOLE TIME. Why? My old, softer, seat allowed me to sink into it, distributing the pressure of my body weight over the entire area, which was painful. The harder seat does not allow the sinking and focuses the pressure directly where it's supposed to--no more pain other than the quarter-sized bruises over my sit-bones. The cutout helps as well, when I need to rotate forward to give them a break, I'm still resting on the pubic bone and not the rest of it.

Yesterday was a good ride, even though it was laps around a 8 3/4 mile loop, it was a pretty hilly loop for northeastern Illinois! I met a guy (easy girls, he's married!) in the beginning of the last lap who did a lot for my self esteem ("You're in killer shape!"), it's a whole lot easier to ride with someone to talk to! But I forgot that it is very possible to get a sunburn on cloudy days. :( I've got red arms between the jersey sleeves and my gloves, with these silly little light spots where the muscle that runs across my elbow (between bicep and forearm) was shading that part of my elbow.

I have a feeling that this seat is going to be like backpacking--the first day is great, the second day hurts, and the third day your pelvis and shoulders are bruised so badly you don't want to put that @%$%#$^ pack on again, but on day four you feel pretty good again! I'm glad I don't have to ride today, but....I'll have to pay the piper sometime.

Hope everybody had good weekends!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 10:43am
Sounds like a great ride and that guy knew what he was talking about (your being in great shape). I always thought I had enough natural padding to ride bikes, but now I know better. It's tough on a lot of body parts. I was wondering about those seats with the cutouts. It seems like a good idea for me since I have problems peeing for a few hours after a good ride. Sorry, if that's too much information. You're making great progress toward your summer ride!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 11:11am
you are doing great with your training! think of it this way, i bet any seat pain you deal with now means that much less pain on the big trip...
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 3:14pm
Nerve compression is a big problem for some people when they ride, that's why the seats with the cutouts are so popular! I knew that the seat that I bought was reviewed favorably by both men and women (or at least the base model---it's the same size whether it's marked as men's or women's) especially with regard to soft tissue pressure relief. It totally makes sense that you could have some troubles, temporary as they are, after spending some time on your bike.

I'm just glad my office chair is comfy, I was having trouble on our leather couch last night! How silly....

Thanks for the support....now I have to figure out how far to ride this weekend! If E will go with me, I have much more freedom as far as where to go...

Judie

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 3:18pm
I bet so too! Otherwise why would I bother, right? My dad has recommended riding as many days in a row as I can, regardless of the mileage, just to get my butt broken in. He has a story about one of my older sisters who went on a ride with him (20 years ago when she was in high school) who got to the end of the first day and would stand up in her pedals for every tar strip in the road--that's what I DON'T want!

And the really rewarding things about these rides, besides setting goals and accomplishing them (I'd never so far on a bike until yesterday), week by week my cellulite is getting less visible, my butt is tightening up, and I'm developing very well-defined hamstrings, which I've never seen before.

Thanks for your support too!

Judie