Should I get a personal trainer?

iVillage Member
Should I get a personal trainer?
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 1:06am
I have a very bad habit of "forgetting" to exercise and/or exercise safely. I would very much like to join a gym and hire a personal trainer, but I am also on a very limited budget. Before even bringing up the subject face-to-face with someone (I am kind of shy), could anyone tell me if you think it would be worthwhile to spend money on a trainer? If I could just meet with someone once a week it would be enough to keep me accountable and off the couch. How much would it cost to meet a trainer for one hour a week, ballpark range? I know it's different for different trainers, but if you have a trainer, how much do you pay? Thank you for your help.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 11:03am
Hi! Welcome to the gymrats board! I think it's a great idea to see a trainer when you're starting out. It's important to start with good form and a good program. One or two sessions would be great. After that, it depends on how much you want to spend. I know people who see the trainer weekly and say it keeps them motivated. It is not cheap, though. The trainers at my gym are $50-$60 an hour. If you can find someone reliable, you can buddy up and it would be cheaper, though it ends up being only about $10 less per person. If you can find someone to meet up with at the gym, that might keep you motivated without a trainer.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 12:30pm
My favorite subject!!!

I think that my trainer, Beth, has been crucial to my continued success in working out. In the beginning she gave me that boost I needed in knowledge, motivation and confidence to get in there and REALLY work out. Of late she has been a touchstone for me as I take steps towards independence. I used to meet with her weekly, but now I'm down to "checking in" with her every few days when we both have a minute and doing a once a month session to tweak things. She gave me the tools I need to exercise safely and effectively, then stepped back and let me take control of how I use that knowledge. When I was ready to start working up my own program/plans she held the back of the bike seat to make sure I had my balance then let me go to experience the joy on my own. Our "checking in" times are informal, we catch each other in the gym and talk for about ten minutes. If there is a problem we have enough time to fix it or schedule a time together to go over it. When my knee started hurting she did some assisted stretching with me and advised me on how to still get my workout without making it worse. When I lost it over my dad being sick (how embarrassing, I was on the stairmaster and saw an anti smoking commercial on tv and burst into tears) she was the one to hand me the tissue and spend the next hour working out with me to keep me focused on what I needed to focus on. (Beth's father was recently diagnosed with Emphysema too. So the fact she listened to the horrible details of what is happening to my father right now and was able to be there for me while knowing that one day it will be her father really says alot for how good of a friend she has become.)

Trainers are more than just motivation. They are teachers, mentors, comrades and many times, friends. There isn't a dollar figure I can quote you on having a trainer, I get mine for free. But, I can tell you as someone who has a really great one that I would pay 60.00 to 75.00 a session and not feel even a twinge of guilt for doing so (and I am a guilt spender if ever there were one...)

Good luck, I hope that you find the right decision for you.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 4:58pm
around here it would be about $60 for one hour with a trainer or $36 shared with a "buddy." i agree with jean that the most economical way to work it would be to do a couple of sessions with a trainer and then find an exercise buddy to keep you motivated. i think a couple of sessions with a trainer is a great idea for anyone, beginner or more experienced exerciser.

if you do want a trainer long term, they'll often give you a deal on multiple sessions like ten for $500. but the prices will vary from region to region and trainer to trainer.

let us know what you decide to do!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 12:54am
Another idea I had is to take a class in weight training or whatever you're interested in doing. Our gym has 8 week sessions on different topics, and weight lifting is a recurring one. There are only 3-5 women in the class (it's a class for women) with at least one trainer and you meet once a week. She checks up on your progress for the past week at the beginning of your session. I've listened in on the classes and they seem good. Of course, it all depends on the instructor.

Oh, and if you decide to go the personal trainer route, make sure yours is certified by a nationally known company (ACE, IDEA, ACSM, AAFA, etc.) or is someone highly recommended by someone who knows about it. Anyone can call him/herself a personal trainer and have no training at all in it. It's a lot of money to put out--make sure you get someone who's good.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 8:08pm
Thanks K! And I'm so happy to hear that you have such a great relationship with your trainer. I'm going to see what's available in my town tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Elaine