Why do I get so tired?

iVillage Member
Why do I get so tired?
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 2:29pm
Hello!

I am back with more questions! And thanks to those who have answer to me!

Well the first one is: Why now that I exercise one hour (lift weights & cardio) and I eat right (everytime I get hungry and just a little bit), I get so tired? instead of having lots of energy??

My other question is, 'til what time should we eat? can we still eat at

night right before we got to bed, even though we work out in the day?

How bad are corn tortillas? are they really fattening? what about mangos?

How does cellulite from the tummy goes away? is it same as the cellulite

we get under our butt?

is chesse bad for our bodies?

If I don't sweat that much when I work out is that a bad sign?

are these too many questions? sorry!!! I really want to know...

Thank you!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 5:17pm
Well the first one is: Why now that I exercise one hour (lift weights & cardio) and I eat right (everytime I get hungry and just a little bit), I get so tired? instead of having lots of energy??

>>are you tired than you were before? perhaps you aren't getting enough calories for your exercise level...i'd recommend keeping track of your calories and exercise on fitday.com or another website (what was that other free one someone mentioned?). it might be the quality of your diet, too much fat, sugar or refined carbohydrates like bread might be the culprit. also i find i need more sleep when i'm exercising a lot - your body needs time to recover from the physical effort. if you are getting enough sleep and enough calories, there are a lot of reasons why you might be tired -- if it continues, i'd visit a doctor.

My other question is, 'til what time should we eat? can we still eat at

night right before we got to bed, even though we work out in the day? >>a lot of people suggest not eating for several hours before bed, maybe someone else here will be able to give you more info on that. i eat right before bed often and don't notice ill effects from it.

How bad are corn tortillas? are they really fattening? what about mangos? >>corn tortillas are generally healthier than flour tortillas, you'd have to read the label to see how many calories and how much fat they have but i don't think they are particularly bad for you in themselves (though if you are cutting down on refined carbs, you don't want to eat tons of them.) mangos and all fruit are very good for you in my opinion.

How does cellulite from the tummy goes away? is it same as the cellulite

we get under our butt? >>cellulite is just fat deposited in a certain way. it goes away like any other fat, by reducing our body fat through diet, cardio, and strength training. i've also heard that cellulite is less noticable if the muscles underneath are more toned, so toning the abs might help.

is chesse bad for our bodies? >>i believe it is. it's high in saturated fat for one thing...here's a webpage with more info on why dairy is unhealthy: http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html i believe the healthiest diet is a low fat vegan diet based on eating whole foods.

If I don't sweat that much when I work out is that a bad sign? >>not necessarily, some people sweat more than others. people who are in better shape actually sweat more because their bodies become more efficient at cooling themselves. you may find you sweat more as you get in better shape. if you aren't sweating much, i'd keep track of your heartrate while exercising to make sure you are in your target heart rate when doing cardio workouts. for a beginning exerciser, 60-70% of your maximum heart rate is a good level to be at. you can estimate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. i'm 32, so my estimated maximum heartrate is 188.

hope that helps!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 5:43pm
I think jen has almost everything covered.

On being tired, eating just a little bit when you're hungry might not be enough. Are you eating good foods (mostly vegetables, some fruit and whole grains, some healthy proteins and fats)? Fitday.com and calorieking.com are free services where you can input foods and they'll tell you how many calories, whether you're getting essential vitamins, etc.

Some people do not eat after 8pm. I will if it's something nutritious like fruit. The only way to tell is to try it and see how it affects your body.

Corn tortillas are okay, but they increase blood sugar quickly. If you have it, add a little protein or healthy fats (like an avocado) to slow down the increase in blood sugar. If your blood sugar goes up quickly, it'll come down quickly and you'll get hungry faster. Corn tortillas also have calcium which is good.

I love mangoes. Nutrition Action Newsletter just ranked fruits based on their vitamins. Mangoes made the "top seed" for the most nutritious fruits. The top ten (in order) were Gauva, watermelon (thinking of you, jen!), grapefruit, kiwi, papaya, canteloupe, apricots (dried), orange, strawberries.

Cellulite is just a different form of fat and to get rid of it, you do the same as you'd do to get rid of fat. Some of it is just genetics. I read that only females get it. I don't know how true that is.

And, finally, jen covered the sweat part. As long as you're working w/in your target heart rate, don't worry about sweating. Also, it's a good idea to check your target heart rate regularly. If you're working too hard, that could be a reason you're feeling tired after working out. Hope that helps!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 10:33am
AH-HA! the poor misunderstood watermelon finally gets it's due! yippee! (i just ate a whole quarter watermelon yesterday, yum!)
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 12:12pm
Have you seen the new watermelons that fit into your hand? I read about them but haven't found them anywhere. They're supposed to be super sweet, with all that flavor packed in. Sounds yummy!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 8:57am
haven't heard of them, but i'm generally reluctant to try "new" fruits. nature only invented so many fruits, and i hate to think how they made the small watermelons. probably spliced in some mice genes or something.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:26am
What's wrong with a few mice genes? ;-) These aren't genetically engineered, but cross bred within the species, like seedless watermelons, grapes, oranges, etc. Unless you buy only heirloom products, you're probably getting cross bred products. They're kind of like the produce equivalent of mutts.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:21am
oh, ok, i like mutts. if i see them i'll try them out. the organic watermelons we get at our co-op are pretty small, like the size of a medicine ball. but not small enough to hold in your hand.

speaking of mice genes in your watermelon, has anyone read margaret atwood's new book oryx and crake? it's pretty good, and it's set in a future where, among other things, corporations have taken genetic engineering of food to extreme heights (or lows, actually).

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:37pm
What is oryx and crake? What else has Margeret Atwoods written? Her name sounds so familiar.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:47pm
i'll respond down under my book post!