Push-ups on ball or military style?

iVillage Member
Push-ups on ball or military style?
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 2:59pm
Hi everyone!

Are push-ups on a ball, with ball at shin level as effective as military push-ups on your toes? And where do modified push-ups (on you knees) fit in?

Thanks,

Peach Blossom

p.s. what does nt or n/t mean? I see it frequently on posts on this board but keep forgetting to ask. Thank you.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 9:08pm
I can't help you with the n/t, but I think push ups on the ball work the core more, as with all exercises modified for the ball, as you have to maintain stability. You can make them easier by having the ball further up your thighs.

Personally, I find pushups on my knees to be the easiest, but works the arms more effectively than on the ball.

P-U's on the toes are the most difficult.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:03am
don't know anything about pushups on the ball, but "nt" means "no text". so if someone's reading in outline form and the message is really short, everyone knows they don't have to open the message because there's no more to read. it's more of a habit from other types of message boards where you put "nt" in the subject line if there's no text in the body of the message, it's not really necessary on a board like there where we don't have subject lines for most of the messages.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:04am
Actually if you compare apples to apples, with the ball as far out on your legs as you can go, the ball pushups are going to be more difficult than the military-style pushups. That's not to say that they're necessarily better and that you should do one instead of the other, though, you can work different parts of the muscles with the ball pushups because the angle of your body is different. And, as was already noted, you will need more balance (core muscle work) to use the ball.

n/t means "no text". It's a carryover from the previous format where each post had its own title and the board was shown in an outline view. We would add *m* to indicate that there was a message (so you would click the title to read it) or n/t to indicate that there was no text following the title, so don't bother clicking on the message. If you go to the outline view in the current format, it's still useful, though!

Hope that helps!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:20am
I think push ups on the ball are harder for the reason zorbs pointed out that it works the core more just to balance on it. I try to have the ball near my ankles, though it rolls a little onto my shins. In dropping intensity, when I do drop sets with push ups, I start with push ups on the ball, then drop to push ups with my legs on steps (4 risers), then to military, then to ones on the knees and then, if I have strength, to ones on the knees with my hands on the risers.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 8:26pm
Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a great way to add variety to push-ups! I'm going to give that a try!

Peach Blossom

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 8:34pm
The hard part is I get so tired that by the time I'm on my knees, I'm only doing under five. Soleil here gave me that idea of push ups drop sets and it's been great!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 9:03pm
Thank you Soleil!

Peach Blossom

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 3:18am
Yeah, she's a great help! I've learned a lot here.